Which LS would you buy?

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My sister has an S-Type Jaguar, which I'm told shares many hard points with the Lincoln LS. She has had an excellent ownership experience, with reasonable costs of maintenance. I have sold my MarkVIII, and am now actively seeking an LS to replace it. A friend has offered me his mother's V8 with low miles at a reasonable price, but even a low price doesn't justify a purchase if it causes me to spend thousands to make it right and safe. My question is - if you could buy a used LS to your specifications, which one would you buy? I am a decent wrench, and can do most repairs, and the ones I can't, I have a trusted veteran mechanic that can do anything. So, as one auto site says - what do the best and brightest say? You guys helped me keep an old Mark on the road for a long time at a reasonable cost, so your advice is welcome and appreciated. I want to thank you in advance for any help.

What exactly are your choices? Is it between this one LS and this one S-Type? Year of each car? Miles on each car? Options? ...

I'll be honest with you, after having one for about a year I don't think I'd buy another one. My post won't be popular here, but better that you know before you buy that the car isn't perfect. It's a nice car and all, but it's not all that great on mileage and the power doesn't justify the fuel usage. Plus it's a low count car, meaning they didn't make all that many of them. People on this board are already reporting that parts are no longer available except at the salvage yard. It's not as bad as the Buick Reatta I used to have, of which only 20,000 total were made, but it's not that great. I initially wanted to keep the car for a long time, perhaps install a GM 6.2L V8 with the new 6 speed auto, but after driving it for awhile I've decided that I just don't like driving the car as much as I liked how they looked before buying. On top of that, one of the main reasons for buying the car was so I could carry my kids in the back. My son has left for the Air Force, but my daughter says she isn't comfortable riding in the car even having the whole back seat to herself.

Now the MAIN reason I got the car was my wife was in an auto accident that resulted in a spinal fusion performed late last year. Out of all the cars we test drove the LS was the first one she rode in that didn't hurt her back. She can actually take a 1-2 hour car ride without being hopped up on painkillers for the whole trip. That alone overrides all the drawbacks to the car.

That being said, if you want one anyway 2003-2006 seem to be the better of them (I have a 2003) and I've seen recommendations for a 2006 if at all possible. The older ones are lower on power, and have the troublesome hydraulically operated cooling pump which uses an engine driven hydraulic pump to run the cooling fan. Plus there are structural improvements to the Gen 2 over the Gen 1 that would make it worthwhile to hold out for the newer ones. I think I read something about an improved transmission as well. The car also isn't that hard to work on, but there are some pretty stupid design features under the hood that makes the car harder to work on than it had to be.

I just bought a 2001 LS with 45,000 miles on it. It was owned by an older gentleman and meticulously cared for. The interior looks as if no one has ever been in it and the outside is nearly perfect as well. Admittedly, this MY first LS, but my brother is on his third- a 2002 that has 48000 on it's clock. It too, is pristine inside and out.

His previous 2 were a 2001 and 2004 respectively. He had the 2001 back in 04 and bought it at a salvage auction. It was hit high in the front above the frame rail, so it didn't need straightened. It did, however, bust the plastic timing chain cover and timing chain. We rebuilt it and it turned out to be a very reliable car, as was the 2004.

The LS, however, is not without its share of bugs. Many of the first gen cars suffered from faulty shift solenoids which caused severe transmission problems- this was corrected for the 2003 and up models. Also, oil leaking on the coil packs causing engine misfire was also a problem but I can't recall if it was the V8, V6, or both. I would be more inclined to really pay attention to the transmission above everything else, but that's just my opinion. To avoid that, 2003-2006 would be the best option (I'm aware that I don't own one, but I carefully inspected my 2001 before I pulled the trigger- it was a smokin' deal I couldn't pass up).

I also have a 1998 Caddy STS for the Mrs. It's also a fantastic car with it's own quirks, but I think the LS is way more value for the money. I don't think you will be disappointed with an LS, but check it out thoroughly before you drop any coin. Hope this helps.

I have been offered an 02 V8 with 88k miles for $3500. I am asking the question because my sister has had such good luck with the her car, and because of my good fortune with the brand in the past. Telco, all cars have their quirks, especially from the viewpoint of a self-maintainer like myself. However, I do not blindly eschew any brand based on the so-called general consensus. I have owned NorthStar and Catera of the Cadillac brand, and found that they were no worse than any car of their age and mileage. That is why I ended up with my beloved Mark VIII, because a local had become frustrated with the air suspension and succumbed to dread and costs. Once it was fixed and all systems operating correctly, I had a baseline going forward and a car that would travel 120 m.p.h. safely and get 25 m.p.g. while doing that pace. The car offered is an inherited car with all records, but I have found that many of these have been cared for meticulously and generally are good price/value propositions. I've found if I eliminate all large-wheeled and/or altered cars, the rest can be evaluated conservatively. You owners are the best source of unbiased opinion, since collectively, you have experienced what day to day driving should give me as a sample.

I have been offered an 02 V8 with 88k miles for $3500. I am asking the question because my sister has had such good luck with the her car, and because of my good fortune with the brand in the past. Telco, all cars have their quirks, especially from the viewpoint of a self-maintainer like myself. However, I do not blindly eschew any brand based on the so-called general consensus. I have owned NorthStar and Catera of the Cadillac brand, and found that they were no worse than any car of their age and mileage. That is why I ended up with my beloved Mark VIII, because a local had become frustrated with the air suspension and succumbed to dread and costs. Once it was fixed and all systems operating correctly, I had a baseline going forward and a car that would travel 120 m.p.h. safely and get 25 m.p.g. while doing that pace. The car offered is an inherited car with all records, but I have found that many of these have been cared for meticulously and generally are good price/value propositions. I've found if I eliminate all large-wheeled and/or altered cars, the rest can be evaluated conservatively. You owners are the best source of unbiased opinion, since collectively, you have experienced what day to day driving should give me as a sample.

03^ is the way to go, but 2002 is the best year for the Gen Is. Most of them have the updated tensioners, so that's one less thing to worry about. With 88k you will at one point have to replace all coils and plugs, VCGs, cracked cooling system parts, problems with hydraulic fan, possible solenoid pack/ 2-3 spring, various suspension parts, clockspring, window regs/tabs, those are just the genI problems that come to mind. Expect to pay well over what you will pay for it when it's all said and done. Granted most of these issues won't happen at once, they feel like they do.

Both of mine (04 and 06) have been very good and I am still very happy with both. (I have had each since new.) There's only one reason that I won't be buying another one. They don't make them anymore, and they didn't sell very many when they did. They share very few parts with any other cars. Because of all that, some parts are already getting to be very hard to get.

im on my 3rd LS. the first 2001 v8 with 214k miles and my brother still drives it, the second was a 04 v8 with 149k miles this one I got it new and it was vandalized and the insurance paid it off now my third one is a 06 v8 now it has 40k miles. the trick with this car is that once you get a issue you have to fix it right away if you let it sit then all the issues will pyle up on you. with the one your getting the almost all of the issues can be worked on at home except the solenoid pack. the coils and vcg are the main issues with this car fallowed by the degas bottle and plastic cooling parts that can be easily fixed by just replacing all of it at once I did that on my 04 and your good to go for another 80k plus.

Psssstt, LS really stands for "Lucky Started"!!!

just kidding ... I love my 01 GEN I V8, keep it clean and well maintained, had it for just over a year and has yet to throw a CEL light or give my any serious problems.

Now the part of truth, these GEn I's are getting to be 10-13yr old ... gonna needs some parts here and there eventually, show me a car that old that doesn't.

My experience is that with the help of the great members here and all the previous detailed repairs in this forums database, there is no reason, the majority of such repairs can be kept out of the dealerships hands. Even timing chain and secondary tensioner is all written up several times over and appear to be very DIY do-able.

Cooling parts, Coils & plugs, brakes, suspension, some small interior nick nak repairs, all part of owning a 10yr old GEN I. I'm just over 103K miles on mine and have yet to worry about leaking VCG's. might be time for a belt though.

Keeping the fluids fresh helps.

I can't speak for GEN II personally myself but from what I've read, it fairs out a little better then the GEN I.

all in all, not that bad if you can wrench or have others near you that can wrench and sourcing parts new or used is not that big of a deal. It's out there.

Combined we all have access to both GEN's service manuals and everyone is always willing to help out the next LS owner.

one small note: smash up the front end lightly with HID's and they get written off quickly.

Best of luck.

I'd buy it at that price. Even if you run into problems, there's room to spend a little and still have a reliable car.

one small note: smash up the front end lightly with HID's and they get written off quickly.

Best of luck.

Tell me about it! *grumbles*

As for advice... my opinion is a bit mixed. I have a 2006 LS, it had about 48 000 miles when I got it two years ago, 70 000 now. I'm generally satisfied with the car, it drives quite well and the major mechanical elements have proven to be quite reliable.

That said, the CD changers on them are just awful garbage, and if you live in a cold place the doors will probably be experiencing issues in winter... having trouble opening and closing, that sort of thing.

Other than that, go for it. It looks great, drives good and is an overall healthy, well-rounded vehicle.

I am on my second LS. My first one (02 V8) I took from 19K to 140K and traded it on my 06. I have had the 06 for a year now and have only replaced coils outside of warranty.

Get an 06. It's a great car if you can be satisfied with what it is and not be dissapointed by it's now average performance. It's an unique, classy looking, 4 door sport sedan. I like it, and this site will tell you all the major problems you may have, other than the coils of course, those are mandatory.

I'm new to the LS family and purchased my 2001 V8 for $2k with a transmission and cooling issue. After pricing repair shops I decided to fix it myself and I couldn't be happier. I put it on the road from Norfolk VA to Raleigh NC and it was one of the best rides I took in any vehicle I have owned. Car road smooth and floated on the highway with just enough get up to blow by the big rigs when I needed to. Honestly at first I thought I was in over my head but after getting soem grease back under my nails I would do it all over again. Had it for 4 months now and I plan on keeping it a whole lot longer.

Telco, all cars have their quirks, especially from the viewpoint of a self-maintainer like myself.

Yeah, but the problem is the parts you need to fix the quirks are no longer being made. The engine is less of a problem as Jaguar still makes the AJ engine but the LS-specific parts is another story. In fact, some of the seals I had to replace on the cooling system were not available at the Lincoln dealer and they couldn't tell me how long it would take to get them in but it would be at least a week. I went to the Jag dealer, and they had them in the next day. Non-engine parts are another story. Headlight assemblies are getting more and more rare, as are replacement body parts. It's not the quirks I mind so much as it is the parts unavailability.

Members online

Back