which is faster

STS vs. Mark VIII is sort of a weird comparison, seeing as one is a four door.

Anyways, faster or better? If a Lincoln guy sneaks onto this thread, brace yourself for a war :) Well, maybe not, but the answer all depends on who you talk to.

I'd say STS, stock. They're about equal, I think the 98s both do about a 6.8-6.9 0-60.

You can upgrade the performance of the MK a lot more, however.

i think a better comparison would be an eldorado and a MK8,i've been fortunate enough to have both of these cars at the same time, BUT,the eldo was a 92 with a 4.9, not a n-star,me and my brother ran them head to head on the interstate and from a dead stop, the caddy killed from 0-60, thats when the mark took over, 4.9=good low end,4.6DOHC=vicious top end.

well well well, look at what we have here. looks like a like LVC war is about to start. Allow to add, MY LINCOLN IS FASTER, BETTER AND BY FAR COOLER

:bow:

I raced a 2000 STS at Rock Falls last year. I don't know if he had any mods. My car is basically stock, with a dyno tune. I ran a 14.9 to his 15.1. 60' times were the same ~ 2.2 sec. I think I ran a 96.XXmph to his 95.XXmph. I still have the time slip at home.

1992 Cadillac Eldorado TC 8.2 16.5
1993 Lincoln Mark VIII 7.1 15.4

now I do believe well, I know Mark VIII can do 14.6 stock, Im also sure the eldo can do better but still would beat the mark VIII 0-60, 1/8, and 1/4.

form http://www.missouri.edu/~apcb20/times.html#Cadillac
these times are a mix from C&D and R&T

1996 Cadillac STS 6.4 14.7
1998 Cadillac STS 6.8 15.1

the sts' does good, Im bet it would run neck to neck with the lincoln.

:D MARK VIII is GOD!

Northstar3.jpg

F-NORTHSTAR.jpg

You're crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkOfDeath said:
well well well, look at what we have here. looks like a like LVC war is about to start. Allow to add, MY LINCOLN IS FASTER, BETTER AND BY FAR COOLER

:bow:

THE BOTH SLS AND STS ARE FAR MORE APPEALING THAN THE MARKVIII, AND THE NORTHSTAR ENGINE IS THE BEST THING GOING, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KEEP IT MAINTAINED, UNLIKE THE STINKIN LINCOLN WHICH IS BUILT BY F.O.R.D.,AND WE ALL KNOWWHAT THAT STANDS FOR, :wrench FIX-OR-REPAIR-DAILY :N

CADILLAC'S ARE AMERICAS' FINEST VEHICLES, LINCOLNS ARE JUST CHEAP IMITATIONS!!!!!!!!!! :C

My 93 Mark ran 14.9s bone stock too, but my 99 STS feels faster. It definitely has more grunt down low. From a dead stop, I think my STS (stock) would beat my Mark (modded and on 20s) to the 1320 mark, but not by much.

Kale

muzik4life said:
THE BOTH SLS AND STS ARE FAR MORE APPEALING THAN THE MARKVIII, AND THE NORTHSTAR ENGINE IS THE BEST THING GOING, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS KEEP IT MAINTAINED, UNLIKE THE STINKIN LINCOLN WHICH IS BUILT BY F.O.R.D.,AND WE ALL KNOWWHAT THAT STANDS FOR, :wrench FIX-OR-REPAIR-DAILY :N

CADILLAC'S ARE AMERICAS' FINEST VEHICLES, LINCOLNS ARE JUST CHEAP IMITATIONS!!!!!!!!!! :C

My lincoln came with a caps-lock key. you might want to see if your cadillac did too.

I have raced many Caddys with a stock Lincoln and the Lincoln won every race.
They were dead even till I hit third and then I just pulled away.

The Caddies have the 3:71's in the front (haha, get it, front drive) so they do pull harder out of the block and do run out of breath up top. I have driven many Caddies and Marks. Had the Caddies had a rear drive configuration with the NorthStar, they would be a much better car. I just can't stand the torque steer. Unbearable. It's the same on the Continental. When I picked one up for my 'ol man I told him he had better hold on to the wheel if he was going to hit 'passing gear'. (He is in his 70's so I had to speak his language). Of course he didn't listen, (he's a man) and almost put it into the wall on the entrance ramp.

Performance doesn't = front drive. IMHO opinion.

unstoppable said:
I have raced many Caddys with a stock Lincoln and the Lincoln won every race.
They were dead even till I hit third and then I just pulled away.

According to everysite that has 0-60 times for both the STS and Mark VIII, the STS is faster. I haven't had the chance to run against one at the track, so I can't speak from personal experience. I think it would come down to the driver in the end though. Who ever get's the best launch, reacton time,...ect.

I think the STS would definitely pull much harder on the highway though, especially past 70mph. This is mostly because of the short final drive ratio. The downside to having 3:71:1 gears, is that the STS pretty much runs out of steam at about 150mph. Then again, how often do people drive at 150 mph?

danbuc said:
According to everysite that has 0-60 times for both the STS and Mark VIII, the STS is faster. I haven't had the chance to run against one at the track, so I can't speak from personal experience. I think it would come down to the driver in the end though. Who ever get's the best launch, reacton time,...ect.

I think the STS would definitely pull much harder on the highway though, especially past 70mph. This is mostly because of the short final drive ratio. The downside to having 3:71:1 gears, is that the STS pretty much runs out of steam at about 150mph. Then again, how often do people drive at 150 mph?

Your mistaken about the top end, from 70 on the Mark VIII would blow the doors off the STS !!!!

cadillackman said:
i think a better comparison would be an eldorado and a MK8,i've been fortunate enough to have both of these cars at the same time, BUT,the eldo was a 92 with a 4.9, not a n-star,me and my brother ran them head to head on the interstate and from a dead stop, the caddy killed from 0-60, thats when the mark took over, 4.9=good low end,4.6DOHC=vicious top end.

This is an accurate fight, and fair statement... The Caddy has a bit more low end than the Mark... BUT... When you get into the power band... The MKVIII is gonna.... Ughm, pardon the pun... "Breakthrough"... LOL. I just like the MKVIII Styling more than the Eldo or STS. All great rides... But isn't that what were all here for.....? Peace Bros!!!

:F :L

JC

danbuc said:

The MarkVIII OWNS the Highway!!! I've dusted plenty of Eldo's and STS...
Off the line... thats where your 3.71's push you ahead. 60' times are better but on top, the MKVIII will smoke the Caddy's... Been proven.. Nuff Said!

Jamler3 said:
I just like the MKVIII Styling more than the Eldo or STS. All great rides... But isn't that what were all here for.....? Peace Bros!!!

:F :L

JC

Such a diplomate!!! Jamler Nicely put!!!!

:L I take it we are talking about the newer STSs not the same year to same year - the 93 to 93 etc...

Ummmm.....I guess I'm bias but Got to love the Mark VIII!!!!

Again I have to chime in with personal experience here,once we hit third the mark just pulls away fairly easily.And that was on a caddy that my buddy JUST did a full tuneup on.(Plugs,wires,filter,etc,etc)

There's a reason I've only posted here 14 times in my year or so of membership. The caddy section on this site is a f**king joke.

I could chime in too, about all the Mustang GT's I've embarassed, but that would fall on deaf ears hear. You Lincoln owners just can't except the fact, that GM produces a superior product to Ford. I don't doubt that Mark VIII's have beaten STS's, but I know STS's that have also beaten Mark VIII's.

I can't wait to see what the Mark VIII owners here have to say. :rolleyes:

Jamler3 said:
The MarkVIII OWNS the Highway!!! I've dusted plenty of Eldo's and STS...
Off the line... thats where your 3.71's push you ahead. 60' times are better but on top, the MKVIII will smoke the Caddy's... Been proven.. Nuff Said!

:bsflag:

It's amazing how some are willing to ignore the truth just so they can continue to live in a fantasy world. Let me state the truth as clearly and respectfully as I can:

Cadillac will kick Lincoln A_ _! Both off the line and top end!

Cadillac--Breakthrough!

By the way, the Mark VIII does look like a bar of soap.

Lincoln--Breakdown!:wrench

I've owned both GM and Ford. There's areason I haven't bought or driven a GM product... it's because GM sucks.

And I highly douby that any STS could defeat a Mustang GT :rolleyes:

morons.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back