Which Cold-Air Intake? 03+

Dank LS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Looking for my first mod. I was thinking i could only get a K&N replacement filter until I surfed this site. There's a couple guys here selling kits. Anybody has dyno results, or tested them side-by-side?

I'm not rigging my own. I want something that looks good, not like the last CAI I made for my last stang....:p

Thanks in advance!

Your one stop shop to pretty much all available mods for the Ls

www.lskoncepts.com

You might find some other things on ebay. but like you said in your welcome wagon post; mods are limited.

You got three options. One is the KKM Tru-Rev Sport Induction Kit. It is probably the most bang for your buck regarding HP increase. Then there are the two CAI units from K&N. Both were marketed toward the Ford T-Bird but since the LS and T-Bird share the same powerplant it is a direct swap. The K&N item costs more than the KKM unit but some like the K&N unit simply because it comes with a pre-fabbed heat shield. All are available on our website.

I just installed the K&N CAI kit marketed for the T-bird. Flawless, the pics/instructions are first rate and the kit installed very nicely. I get many compliments on how nice it looks in the engine bay, and how it has improved throttle response not to mention the sound......sweet.

I bought a blue K&N type filter from pep boys for 40.00 and after removing the mass airflow sensor cut the stock airbox.
There's enough lip left to fit it well and it looks great.
Along with my SCT Livewire powertune the car runs great with lots of torque and a pleasing growl.

Has anyone done a sound clip of the KKM, or K&N set-up for the LS, without exhaust mods? Like what it sounds like inside the car? I have a pick up with an FIPK, and I like the sound in it, but I am not sure about that sound in a luxury car...even tho I am a gearhead at heart.

im looking to buy an intake as well..
i just want it to be quiet in the car...

im looking to buy an intake as well..
i just want it to be quiet in the car...

How quiet? A CAI will usually give a decent amount of growl on these cars. That growl only happens during acceleration though so it is not all the time which may be a benefit to you.

I LOVE THE SOUND!
Its great! Like ILLS stated, its only growling under load, so when you are cruising, no sound. You get a slight low growl when going up hills, but its nice. When you get on it, open the window, cause it will sound like a hot rod, until you back off the throttle.

KKM Tru-Rev Sport Induction Kit

"One is the KKM Tru-Rev Sport Induction Kit. It is probably the most bang for your buck regarding HP increase."

I agree, and like the installed sound. KKM states a gain of 9 HP, and 14 pounds of torque for the V-8.

Last edited:
"So does the K&N CAI with the heatshield fit the contours of the enginebay and hood?"

I have the KKM, but I believe there would be plenty of room. If you go to my pictures link, then click on the car description, then copy and paste the link under nitrous setup, the first picture will show you the available room left with the KKM.

So does the K&N CAI with the heatshield fit the contours of the of the enginebay and hood?

Yes it does.

K&N-CAIWeb.jpg

so theres no mods you have to make for the 04 ls 3.9? everything stays on besides that intake?

so theres no mods you have to make for the 04 ls 3.9? everything stays on besides that intake?
That is correct. Just remove the old air box and intake tube and replace it with the K&N intake kit. If you are in California, K&N has a unit that is CARB certified for those annual inspections. However, I hear most folks just put the old units back on before inspection and then after it put the K&N unit back on.

thats all the kkm is.............. heh.

I bought a blue K&N type filter from pep boys for 40.00 and after removing the mass airflow sensor cut the stock airbox.
There's enough lip left to fit it well and it looks great.
Along with my SCT Livewire powertune the car runs great with lots of torque and a pleasing growl.

Members online

Back