Wheres the hidden battery terminal ?

roncoinc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
With nothing better to do than search the archives for entertainment value the other day i found something interesting.

seems on the right side wheel well someplace there is a " + batt terminal " even covered with a plastic cap.

the purpose of is to give emergency power to accessories in case of a dead battery.

i could find no other references to it ..

seems like a dang good idea to me to have something like that.

with no cigar lighter adapter to reach another car another car with jumper cables could pull up and make it work.

so where is it ??

or did i wonder off into another car model ?? :)

As a point of reference that might help, you can see it if you take off the passenger wiper cowl and look down. You can't access it, but I was able to see the bright red cap. At the time, I didn't know what it was and thought it was garbage in the wad of leaves and tried pulling it with a pliers. Good thing my battery was disconnected at the time, otherwise I could have shorted it and made it very difficult to track down the blown fuse.

Or at least I hope it's fused.

Yeah it is, by the mega fuse in the trunk. That posts runs directly from the battery after the fuse down the passenger side.

I have a diagram here somewhere.

EDIT ....

Pardon my trunk lid light wiring laying across it.

fuse_O25.jpg

Mega_Fuse.jpg

fuse.jpg

O25 = Mega Fuse / 175A

...the purpose of is to give emergency power to accessories in case of a dead battery...

The purpose of it is simply to pass a high current battery connection from the battery in the trunk, though the firewall, to the starter and the alternator. It's also a junction where power for the electric fan is tapped. Some other cars with batteries in the trunk (like BMW) do provide a convenient jump start terminal under the hood. This junction was never intended for this purpose.

If you just need enough power to pop the trunk, I imagine using one of the empty fuse slots would be easier. I don't remember which slot it is under the hood (#7 maybe?) but I remember it has a male spade connection sticking up. I used this to attach an easily-detachable Battery Tender cable routed to the lower grille. IIRC it's only on the V8, though, as the V6 uses the slot for something

The purpose of it is simply to pass a high current battery connection from the battery in the trunk, though the firewall, to the starter and the alternator. It's also a junction where power for the electric fan is tapped. Some other cars with batteries in the trunk (like BMW) do provide a convenient jump start terminal under the hood. This junction was never intended for this purpose.

"...the purpose of is to give emergency power to accessories in case of a dead battery... "

was a quote of what i read,,not a statement by me.

Due to the storms here i haven had a chance to look at the connection.
if it is shaped like a battery terminal and even has a protective cap over it,,wouldn't that indicate another intended purpose for it ??

HHmmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,..... tnx guys for some good stuff.
now thinking why not make up an easy to hook to power connection under the hood ??
if the battery ever does goes dead how would you get into the trunk easily ??

With the key in the trunk lock. (It's mechanical, not electrical.)

Oh Kay,,,,,,,,,,....
how about if i locked my key inside and the battery went dead but i had a key fob remote ?? :)
how about if i just admit that was a stupid question ??

Oh Kay,,,,,,,,,,....
how about if i locked my key inside and the battery went dead but i had a key fob remote ?? :)
how about if i just admit that was a stupid question ??

Yet we have an answer - that's when you take a pick axe to the trunk lid. Someone else will need to provide the link on the procedure, I can't seem to find it.

Yet we have an answer - that's when you take a pick axe to the trunk lid. Someone else will need to provide the link on the procedure, I can't seem to find it.

Oh man,,thats gonna leave a bruise :)

now thinking why not make up an easy to hook to power connection under the hood ??

If you just need enough power to pop the trunk, I imagine using one of the empty fuse slots would be easier. I don't remember which slot it is under the hood (#7 maybe?) but I remember it has a male spade connection sticking up. I used this to attach an easily-detachable Battery Tender cable routed to the lower grille. IIRC it's only on the V8, though, as the V6 uses the slot for something

Members online

No members online now.
Back