where to get jmod done ??

gbal4

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I am new in the mark viii world and I have been hearing about the jmod can I go to a transmission shop to get it done ?? I would like to get a firm shifting from the transmission. And also I would like to get quicker off the line but not hurt my top end will 410 gears be okay ??

A transmission shop can do the J-Mod.
But they can also just install a shift-kit which I would suggest you do if having it done.

And 4.10 gears will reduce your top end. That's unavoidable.
The question is, how badly are you willing to hurt the top end? What kind of driving will you be doing? What are your priorities?

You probably have 3.08 gears in there right now. Maybe a 3.27.

I have had a J-Mod transmission for about a year. No problems. All shifts are solid, no lag at all. I also had a transmission cooler put in. Keep the transmission fluid clean, Mercon V and keep it cool and the transmission should last through many beatings at the track.
Here is a link that may help you calculate how much the different gear ratios and tire sizes will impact your performance.
http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFrame00.htm?wks=spd
Good luck and have fun!

You should also plan on replacing your drive shaft with a new one due to vibration issues when going to taller gears. A tail shaft lube package won't hurt either if you do a lot of high speed driving as well as a transmission cooler. The J Mod can be performed by yourself if you posses some mechanical skills and tools and there are also shift kits from Bauman Performance that you can install as well. If you have a Gen 1 you will also need an appropriate speed sensing gear for the tranny.

Sorry guys I have a 1997 LSC with 85,000 miles I`ll call a tranny shop on my next day off and see about a shift kit to be installed. The car came equipped with a KN air filter I think the resonator is still on I need to take it off. What about a stall should I add one as well ?? Thanks for the input !!

Also make sure they only use Mercon V fluid also. It's a synthetic so it is more expensive, but it is a mandate by FOMOCO for this transmission.

well called a tranny shop and they will do an shift kit for $300 NONE of them have heard of a J MOD ohh well it was worth a try

Bring them the TCCOA directions... if they can't figure it out they shouldn't even have lifts...

I would be very careful that you totally understand what is included with the shift kit you are getting. Some have more features and levels of performance than others. Study up so you don't get aced out with no clue as to what happened. As mentioned above a great place to help get educated is in the TCCOA article which was written by a FOMOCO expert trans guy.

About the stall, if you want to go fast you need the stall 3000-3500. I have a 2500 and barely notice its there.:cool:

well called a tranny shop and they will do an shift kit for $300 NONE of them have heard of a J MOD ohh well it was worth a try

Where do you live in the South? If close enough, I'll come do the J-Mod for you a lot cheaper than $300.

It's very very easy to do. Cordless drill with a 3/32 and a 7/64 bit and a 8mm and 10mm soctket, razor blade for removing the old gaskets and they come right off with no problem.

Call 1-800-866-1520 Ext. 236 and ask for Max. Tell him you need the two gaskets for the valve body because you're going to do a J-Mod and he'll have the you quick. $2.00 each + shipping, your time (maybe 2 hours) and fluid money and you could have this done yourself and save about $260.00 compared to the shop charging $300.00 for a shift kit.

what's needed to be done to the 98 lsc to complete the JMOD?...just drill the holes???

Either re-pinning your wiring harness or putting the electrical internals from the trans you have now, into the 98 which is easy also and do the J-Mod at the same time. Do all of that work while the transmissions are out and upside down like I did.

where are you located?
"the south" is a pretty large area...
narrow it down and we can probably point you to a good location.

I heard stock was 2500 also,,,anybody really know??

NOBODY really knows, and they cant.

Torque convertors operation depend SOLEY on how much torque the motor makes.

The same TC in a strong Mark 8 compared to a poorly maintained POS mark 8 can easily see a 4-500 RPM difference in "stall speed".

A strong car might flash the convertor to 2700 where a POS weak car would only flash to 2200.

it all depends on the amount of torque a motor makes.

Which is why most reputable TC manufactuers will give "1 free restall".
Because they can only set the stall speed based on the power numbers the customer gives them
If you tell them your making 310HP and your only making 280 then the stall speed is going to be MUCH lower, which is why they have the "restall" option.

So.. there IS no real number.

Members online

No members online now.
Back