When it rains, it pours

V-Tally

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Long story short, I bought an 06 town car on march 3rd. The dealership still has not gotten me plates for the car, won't give me another temporary tag (can't by law, even though they have already given me an extension once, which they weren't allowed to either, apparently), It's been two weeks that I can't drive it. They won't bother themselves with giving me a loaner, dealer plate, rental, whatever.
I keep getting the run around and it's stressing me out. On top of that, today I found out the car I borrowed from my parents has bad balljoints and one wheel is ready to fall off, so its now a lawn ornament like my new lincoln as well. The DMV informed me that the dealership has not had a license to operate since march 30th, so apparently I might not be getting plates for a while. The BBB informed me it would take some 30 days to investigate it, The bank doesen't seem worried that their investment might be a bad deal, and I'm stuck driving my Boss' ford spare van packed with furniture, misfire, bad brakes, bad torque converter, and all. All I wanted was a Town car I can enjoy driving, now I get to enjoy hoping it does not get impounded by the NYPD. :Bang /rant over

That's definately a crappy situation. I hope you get it sorted out quickly.

Oh, and apparently spending the day in the hospital is the cherry on top. I learned what an abcess is today and how they can just come out of thin air. Yay me. Not only did I spend my week off from classes with the flu, no car, and ruined plans, I get to spend the next couple of days waiting for some nasty sh!t in my navel to pop, and if it doesen't, they cut it out. I'm not one to normally rant, but this month is :q:q:q:qing rediculous. On a car related note, I filed a formal complaint with the NJ DMV, so this whole mess is going to get interesting.

I have not tried calling ford customer service, I am financed through capital one and its a used car. I might try that next week if nothing comes from the crapload of things I've tried this week. I don't think the lemon law applies in this case, the vehicle is in good shape, and its used. This is a title and scumbag dealership issue. I've read they can lose their license for the crap they have been pulling.

This is why you call ford customer service and explain the whole issue to them. It doesn't matter if its new or used or a lemon. This is about dealership customer service. Manufacturers don't want to lose customers because of bad dealerships. Once you talk to them, they will call the dealership. Either they or the dealership will call you back.

This happens frequently, and how it happens is the dealership takes the car in on a trade, then they send off for title transfer and pay-off, and sometimes they are waiting on the previous owner to supply title and usually can and will give them 30 days to come up with it before the dealership will do it for themselves. Before they take it as a trade though, the title department is supposed to verify pay-off numbers and usually can not get that at the time of trade, and when the previous owner traded, and purchased a new vehicle, there is a disclaimer that the owner has to sign stating that if there is any discrepancies in title transfer, loan pay-off amounts, that owner will come in and resign actual pay-off amount or title transfer. And the present bank that is holding lien on the car will not release lien until funds are in their hands and then they will release lien and title can be transferred.

But by law if this is the case, a dealership is not allowed to sell or place a vehicle on a lot for sale without all docs in dealership possession and name. And this is how this happens, the dealership never had title, nor payoff from previous bank and they played the odds came as to when you game in and when they figured they would get it.

Ford will and can get involved and I have seen where Ford either gets you your money back and then gives you the opportunity to select another vehicle at invoice or up to 10% off invoice (New or used) or give you the opportunity to purchase another vehicle at another dealership that they have close by. I have even seen a dealership lose and have to give said vehicle to purchaser at no cost, (Legal Intervention). Either way it is in your best interest to call Ford Motor Company to get them involved. That dealership represents Ford Motor Company in it's entirety. And the last thing they want (especially in this economy) bad experience or a fellow dealership causing a hardship on a potential customer. No matter what you think is the best recourse for you, you have rights, you have signed and have a signed note on a vehicle that basically is worthless. So your first step is to get yourself involved in covering your as and call Ford now, not next week. Next week the dealership could have there doors closed for whatever reason, then the bank that is fronting there floor plan inventory, comes knocking on your door requesting keys to the car because the bank called their floor plan note.

Last edited:
I see your point raped ape, I will call them ASAP. Thank you for the example of what Ford customer service does, I've dealt with chrysler customer service with a jeep liberty I leased, and that was hell. By your account, Ford seems a lot more reasonable. Once again, Thanks.

Called ford customer service, They called the dealership today and my plates are waiting for me. They want me to pay them 34.10 for an overage (apparently the plates cost more than they expected). I'm going to pick them up now and see what they say in person.

Ill let the dmv sort it out now. The guy did mention they could lose their license for handing out multiple temp plates.

Yes they gave me my plates, they wouldn't even swallow the 34 dollar charge for the plates. I ended up paying them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back