When change fluid?

95Marklll(Kingcobra)

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when is a good idea to change the rear end fluid? Is it a hard thing to do, and if so can u give me a step by step If its neccessary to change out, I have 114k and its a 95 LSC I believe it may be the original fluid everything works perfect but I figured it wouldent hurt to change it out, thanxs.

You should probably change it. Its not too hard to do, like an oil change but a little more work. Generally its a good idea to change it every 100k or less.

Just remove the bolts off the rear end that hold the cover on, do so just enough to let it drain out. Once the fluid is out, remove the cover. I recommend a new gasket.

Inspect for metal shavings, etc. Then clean the surface and replace gasket and cover.

Towards the top there is a breather tube. I think I removed my tube and put the fluid in there, then replaced the tube.

If it's an LSC then make sure to add the friction modifier. This is a 8oz. or so tube made for limited slip rear ends. If you don't use it your limited slip will fail.

LSC's don't have limited slip rear ends, I just changed my rear end gear oil this weekend so I can vouch for that fact. No friction modifier needed.

I've never heard of an LSC having limited slip - stock. Gear ratio different, yes. But who knows :)

40K is my recommended interval, and just buy the 8 oz bottle. IF you don't need it, than it might be kill, but I just put it in for :q:q:q:qs n' giggles.

LSC's don't have limited slip rear ends, I just changed my rear end gear oil this weekend so I can vouch for that fact. No friction modifier needed.

Yes LCS's have a 327 ratio with a limited slip or trac loc. If it is a posi, trac loc or limited slip, what ever you wanna call it then YES it needs a friction modifier. If you use only gear oil your limited slip will fail, but then again, Do as you wish. :D

I just looked at my owners manual, It even states that Mark VIII's with the optional LSC package has a locking rear differental. If your car has this then it needs the additive, if it's an open diff then it doesn't. When you jack your car up spin the tires, if they both spin the same way them it's limited slip or locking. If they go opposite directions then it's not.

Mine had a gasket, and I ordered one from Max when I did my J-Mod. I think he said that it was not needed, but makes the job a lot faster and less messy.

No Mark VIII's base or LSC came from the factory with a locking differential (trac-loc)! This is the second LSC I have owned, first one was a 95, second is this 98, both of them don't have a trac-loc/posi/limited slip, whatever you want to call it.

I just looked at my owners manual, It even states that Mark VIII's with the optional LSC package has a locking rear differental...

I wondered where you got your information.

Take a look at the certification label and see what the axle code for the vehicle is.

I will bet it's a "7".

I do beleive if you use Royal Purple Gear oil, or maybe anyother good oil,you dont need friction modifier.I have change a lot of Ford gears with only the purple stuff and now prob.

thanks for MYTURN

Members online

No members online now.
Back