wheel spacer

99 Interceptor

LVC Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of 18 Jag wheels from another member, bolt pattern and hub size are the same off set is pretty close but back spacing is a problem, they fit fine on the rear but with a 245/45/18 mounted the tire is up against the spindle and upper control arm.
I'd need about a 1/2 inch spacer for the front for clearance, so the question is did anyone with after market wheels have to use a spacer on the front? and did you have any problems?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go the spacer, longer stud route or just bag this idea and go with a different wheel.

jag wheels run a pretty high offset. sometimes as high as 45-60 mm. mark viii wheels are around 36 mm offset.
what wheels are you working with? do you know the offset and width?

The 17's I have rubbed the spindle also. I bought some spacers and then they cleared but when I was bouncing down the road because of the tires being bad, I jerked those things back off and just waited for some Octi's. The Jag wheels were ugly anyway. Pics and it did happen here lol.

DSC03023.jpg

DSC03008.jpg

DSC03011.jpg

I used 3 and 5mm uni spacers when I ran 19x8.5's (47 offset(?). I did a little modifying of the caliper bracket and ran them w/o with no issues, but JUST barely, like .5mm clearence of the spindle. 5mm didn't give me enough threads so I went too 3mm. Both worked in my application w/o issues.

With that being said, not worth all the trouble I went through.

Another case of too much offset. Besides terry, the octi's are better anyway.

I never took a pic of the spindle where the tire was rubbing about 3" of the sidewall. It wasn't bad bad but I took the air grinder and shaved them down enough to roll freely and 20 min later, took them off. The tires were shot and I read the DOT and seen why. Tires were made in 2000 :rolleyes: and are very lumpy and I'm sure the belts or cords inside on the crown are broken in different places. I used to work for Michelin and we had an x-ray machine that you could actually see the cords with. I'd really like to see these on the x-ray.

If you do end up using spacers in the front to clear the spindles, you will probably want spacers in the rest as well otherwise it will look funky with the fronts spaced out closer to the fender and the rears tucked farther in.

they are 18X8 with a 43 mm offset, the spec I found for the factory wheel was 39 mm and they are off an 08 XJ8. I like the way they look but I didn't take pics on the car, but the wheel looks like this, and sorry for the crappy picture it's already dark

2012-10-22_17-15-58_344.jpg

ah yes. those are tucanas. which i believe have a 49mm offset.
but yeah, you're gonna have to bump those out about a half inch or so.
if you do spacers, you should probably also do longer studs.

Members online

Back