What's your definition of "Rice"?

Katshot

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
This is liable to be a busy thread. I've done this before on other forums and it's always fun to see what everyone thinks about the subject of "Rice".
To me, I guess "Rice" would be any Japanese car but to many, it means damn near anything small with performance mods of any type.
So what do YOU think?

Rice to me has been ANY car, domestic or import that has all of the USELESS, OVERDONE mods that don't do anything to enhance performance in any way...

Hi All

Rice to me is a swamp grass grown in the marshes of Asia :D

Someone had to say it ;)

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi All

Rice to me is a swamp grass grown in the marshes of Asia :D

Someone had to say it ;)

Regards

Dereck

Dereck, I agree with you about 98%.

The 2% that I do not, is the cars (domestic, foreign, or otherwise) that is not a show car, and has nothing but some basic bolt ons and a freakin fart can exhaust.

I have to give props where props are due. If a guy decides that he is going to build a car and does it right, I have to give that person props. BUT, if he builds it to be a freakin nuisance to everyone on the road, and has damn near NO performance upgrades and they drive around town in a lower gear than necessary to accentuate the fart can exhaust to me is RICE.

If the person has put alot o-money into what ever it is that he/she drives and it looks good (EXCEPT for the bleacher seat racing wing) then it is all good. It seems that is easier and, depending on what upgrades are done, is cheaper than hookin up a muscle car, or even what we all most likely drive. I do not take away from the person that has spent as much as I have, or even more (depending on skill level) on their car/truck/suv or whatever, than I have.

To me there are 'rice' out there, but not all of it is.....IMHO :Beer

Rice to me is a Japanese car period. Being the country of rice. A domestic car with meaningless performance mods is redneck not 'rice'. Or we could just call it dumb ass. But either way the term 'RICE' should refer to imports only, specifically Japanese cars. As of course a Mercedes Benz would NOT be rice.

Rice to me is anything from ASIA, the cars are cookie cutter cars and they are EXPENSIVE to repair.

Drivers of "riced" cars think they own the road. I own the road. You can see the conflict.

My new Lincoln is just shy of 23 feet long. Isn't that about the length of two average "ricers"?

A picture is worth ...

p74296_image_large.jpg

ok c to me a ricer is someone who has a lil 4 banger engine with a pipe that makes him loud as s**t and still cant go nowhere some one who will rev up at u at the light but u swear he didnt wanna race u beat him so bad some one with the everyday or for show mods but stiull think they are a supercar for it

witht that said i dont think every import is a ricer u can take some imports and make them respactable but not rice yes it is hard but can b done

Precisely. I have seen a civic crx, around 1988, that had a turbo, titanium pistons, piston rods, valve springs, and a few other parts with a turbo running about 16 lbs of boost. it looked ugly, had no fart can, and was wicked fast. It ran an 11.63 against my 16.72 at Bristol. Would you call this rice, or an actual race car? My car itself is rather loud, but I installed a cat-back exhaust that raised my hp by 14. It cut my quarter about 3/10ths, so it is performance oriented. But in Virginia Beach, the ricers are plentiful, sometimes being nothing but a Civic CX with a fart can. This, my friends, is rice.

Too me Rice is Asian or Domestic owned by some High School kid or Pseudo-Adult who thinks they know $#!+ about cars because they read a magazine. Then buy bolt on parts such as a spoiler and a coffee can, and maybe some stickers (decals are to good for them), with a licence plate that says "Are you scared" or "Fear This"

As others have said they drive around as if they own the road, make lots of noise and think they has something great. They could if they would do it right, but they don't.

They usually end up shinny side down :N or driving through someones house.

Old School I like the Pic. good possible Ricer!!! Now it could be a Neon LOL.

mespock said:
Too me Rice is Asian or Domestic owned by some High School kid or Pseudo-Adult who thinks they know $#!+ about cars because they read a magazine. Then buy bolt on parts such as a spoiler and a coffee can, and maybe some stickers (decals are to good for them), with a licence plate that says "Are you scared" or "Fear This"

As others have said they drive around as if they own the road, make lots of noise and think they has something great. They could if they would do it right, but they don't.

They usually end up shinny side down :N or driving through someones house.

:I i could have said it better

here's my 2 cents....and its a little redudant. Rice can be domestic or import but it mainly comes down to modifications done to the car that do nothing for the car. A lot of ricers put modifications on there cars (mainly the wings) that could help in performance but most don't install them properly and they don't realize that it doesn't do much without the right combination of parts. Many of the parts they use really aren't usefull unless you have a 12-10 second car. Ricers are more into the show than go but will always act like their car is the fastest thing on the street.

I would consider a MarkVIII with a hood scoop, tubbed out rear, and nitrous stickers to be a ricer if it was a bone stock car. Most people don't need to advertise when they have a fast car, people just know.

Hi All

Heeheehee!!! Oldschool posted a picture of a car from the UK, it is a 1985 Renault 5 :)

Regards

dereck

mespock said:
Possible? I'm not even sure what kind of car it is but my biased ass has this to say:

Two foot high silver wing (called a spoiler in my day)
Non functional ground effects (called a skirt in my day)
Clear lense covers (didn't exist in my day)
17" wheels in a well made for a 14" wheel (Barnum and Bailey started this trend when clowns drove into the ring)
Stickers, stickers, stickers

I like OldSchool Heavy Muscle.
Pre-1993
3800 lbs or more
300 hp or more

A ricer is ANY front-wheel-drive joke of a car that sounds like an anemic weed-eater, has the world's largest examples of how to waste metal or carbon-fibre mounted on it's trunk and the lower half of it's body,PASTEL paint, a stripped of it's label Folger's can on the tailpipe, oh yeah! The driver thinks he is an exact clone of Eminem. (I used to think RICE was only Asian cars,too. I was proved horribly wrong by some MORON who had the bright idea of turning AN INTREPID,YES,A DODGE INTREPID into one of these monstrosities.NOW, IT'S ALL RICE BABY!)
Oh yeah and the white grains that I put my Mongolian Chicken on last night. But that's the GOOD kind of rice!

Ok, I get the fact that most "normal" people have a definate dislike for people that do the "fart pipe" exhaust, painted wheels or shiney hubcaps, loud-ass stereo, and maybe even the DREADED WING!
Now let me ask a question here. When we were all kids, what did WE do to our cars during those years before we were so mature and smart?
I know on MY cars, I generally went out and bought:
1. A glass-pack muffler Thrush or Cherry Bomb)
2. Cal-Custom "chrome" air cleaner (or at least flipped the lid on the factory air cleaner)
3. Went to K-Mart or someplace similar and bought a cheap, loud stereo and as many speakers as I could fit in the car.
4. Some sort of fancy hubcaps or got some used Keystone Classics or Crager SS mags.
5. A set of air shocks.
6. The biggest tires (usually RWL) I could fit on the back wheels

So how was that any different than what these kids are doing these days? The only difference I see is that the kids today are using more small imports rather than the domestic cars WE were stuck with. This is why I may giggle at those kids in their cars but I just think of them as being a continuation of the same spirit WE had as kids. The need to modify our cars, and the reality of a small pocketbook and little automotive knowledge.

well i go to high school and i drive for my car a 1989 Acura Legend V-6 4door... i have made no effort to make it look "Rice" i dispize these types of cars. I had some pals that thought there (Chevy MonteCarlo, Chevy Cavalier, Dodge Neon, and Honda Civic) could beat my dads slick Cadlillac Deville Concours with stock 300hp.. they said that it would go slow cuzz it was heavy. well one day we met at the local race way. I gave my dad the honors, first run was (Rice) 18.5 (Cadillac) 15 flat, second run (Rice) 17.9 (Cadillac) 14.9.... and so on, i was very suprised actualy that the Cadillac did that well. My thoughts on the term rice is either more money in mods then the car is worth, and the car is not a classic, also has a body kit that is a differnt color then the cars paint
:Bang

Katshot, you're right about that. I remember when I got my first car, I did some things that I thought was pretty cool in '87, that I wouldn't dare do today. My first car was a 1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It was Old Gold with a Tan 1/4 vinyl roof & Tan vinyl interior and had T-Tops and a 305 V-8. It was a sweet car to begin with, and I got it off a retired serviceman for $1200(this Cutlass was in cherry shape!) Let me tell you the tragic things I did to this car.
1) I tore out the headliner and replaced it with white faux-fur that I stapled in.
I also lined the rear package shelf and dashboard with this crap too.
2) I replaced the perfectly working Delco AM/FM head unit with a Kraco cassette player that NEVER worked!
3) I took the dome light out and replaced it with a plastic chandelier that melted where I hooked it up at and almost caught the car on fire.
4) Not happy with the stock 6X9's that sounded very nice considering the car was 9 years old, I decided that GIANT box speakers from my stereo in my room and wired them up in the trunk.(Later I discovered that the actual speakers in the box were less than half the size of the originals.OOPSY!)
5) At the time, I could not afford (still can't) the Dayton rims I wanted for this car, I went to Pep Boys and got the $59.95(each) Craigar wire spoke wheels and buy USED skinny white wall tires that would blow out going over the flat part of a dime.
I could go on-and-on. But the two things I NEVER did was make the car noisier by altering the exhaust. (Stealthiness was a key to not getting tickets in Ol' San Antone.) and I always hated (still do!) whenever anyone customizes their ride with a wing, and the car has a vinyl roof, It makes the car aesthetically-challenged. How can anyone justify a car in luxury trim being
"sportier" with a large or even a skinny band wing acrossed it's trunk? It bastardizes the whole presence of the vehicle! And IMHO,that goes for 60's-70's Musclecars too! They ruin each other (wings and vinyl roofs that is.).!That would be the only thing right about ricer's styling cues. But then again, has anyone ever seen an Integra or Eclipse with a padded vinyl roof?
I'd better shut-up before I give a ricer that might be reading this ideas! :joke
(BTW that's the way we all learn how to NOT do things, and I'm pretty sure there were cracks made at my Cutty unknown to me. Even after I put the Playboy rabbit head decal in the middle of my back window.(hr-hr!)(The things we did as kids! :rolleyes: )

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back