What's wrong?

nc2tarheels

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
02 LS V8
I've owned the car for several years now and have noticed something that I haven't concerned myself with for a while. When I'm driving 40-50 and going up a hill in 5th gear, i notice that my RPMs are around 2000 or so (maybe less) but I notice that the car jerks a little. Kinda like its lacking the power or something. But if I push harder on the gas, it goes away as I speed up and the RPMs increase. Any ideas?

1 or more of your coils are going bad, its common. Mine only used to do it around 40-50mph with very light throttle. Replaced all 8 coils and it went away. Make sure you check your plug wells for oil too, that will cause the coil to fail.

I've seen the multiple threads on coil replacements. How much are they? And do I replace all 8 at once or just a few at a time?

check ebay you can get all 8 for $150. It's better to replace them all at once.

You can do one at a time, but the rest will fail eventually, so the easy way out is to just replace them all. Plus you can beat 150 bucks for 8 Motorcraft coils. Dealer will want about $65 EACH and most parts stores carry after market parts for around $50 - $60 a pop.

02 LS V8
I've owned the car for several years now and have noticed something that I haven't concerned myself with for a while.

Is it worse now, or it's always done it and you just didn't worry about it for a while? How big of a hill are we talking about? Does the jerking stop if you downshift to 4th? This could just be the torque converter locking and unlocking.

If coils are starting to go bad, it will get worse fairly quickly and you'll start to get CEL codes.

so what's it mean when the coil is bad? Does that mean it's only running on 7 cylinders? It's been going on for about 2 years now and just never gotten any worse so I didn't worry about it.

Mine stutters ocassionally. Its been doing it since I got it 18 months ago.

Every once in a while I will see a misfire code come up... and now I get the random bank1 lean code. Damn car!

I have noticed a little shutter at highway speeds on my '03 LS8....gotta love it and my car has less than 30K miles on it. Pisses me off really.

Members online

No members online now.
Back