whats wrong, car has the shakes, and blinking check engine light.

Dr.LSEV8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Thats right guys, what possibly can be wrong with my LS, when I accelerate hard the check engine light starts blinking and the car starts shaking alot. I know I have to take it in to get it checked since the check engine light is always on, but what gets me is that blinking check engine light. Does anyone know what can be causing this? BTW its a 2002 LS V8.

Dr.LSEV8

Thats right guys, what possibly can be wrong with my LS, when I accelerate hard the check engine light starts blinking and the car starts shaking alot. I know I have to take it in to get it checked since the check engine light is always on, but what gets me is that blinking check engine light. Does anyone know what can be causing this? BTW its a 2002 LS V8.

Dr.LSEV8

from what it sounds like in your other posts, running regular gasoline is causing heavy pinging or misfiring. run 91 octane minimum or else you'll be replacing the engine- and dont step on it until all that regular gasoline is gone!. fill up with 93 the next two tank fulls.
if this "shaking" continues, you probably have bad coils too like many others on here (you have an '02 so it looks like perfect timing). you'll need to replace the valve cover gaskets and any coils where the corresponding plug well is oil soaked. use the search if you want more information.

coils - and likely oil in the plug wells from the valve cover gaskets. common, common issue...

X3 on the Coils. Take the car to any auto parts store and they can scan and erase the codes for you. The code will tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

flashing check engine light is the coils

A flashing check-engine light on any OBDII car means misfire. This could be the coils, plugs, injectors, or any one of several other possibilities. Of course, the experience with the LS is that it is 99+% of the time going to be the coils.

I think I knew that, I was just so used to it always being the coils since that's what it was everytime like you said.

And yeah it can eventually crap out the cats so get it taken care of sooner the better.

Just because the light flashes don't mean its the coils. It flashes for other things. Mine came on at misfire and stayed on. Count the flashes, or the best way to find out is to just have it checked out.

It is more than likely the coils given the other symptoms but it could also be something like the clock spring ( as far as flashing goes but that dont explain the shaking ), so a flashing/blinking don't justify anything as far as it being coils or even what ls4me states.

My point? Just have it scanned at Auto zone, it probably is the coils like I said given the other info but that deal with the blinking light is just something to think on.

It was already established that flashing CEL is a misfire if you read joegr's posts above you.

I just said that I was so used to it being the coils and with the symptoms his car is giving it most likely is.

Why are you such a aggressive person? Do you really not like being wrong that much?

I must now correct myself and say that instead of speaking of ls4me I meant joegers.

Sorry LS4me and joegers.

Just because the light flashes don't mean its the coils. It flashes for other things. Mine came on at misfire and stayed on. Count the flashes, or the best way to find out is to just have it checked out.

It is more than likely the coils given the other symptoms but it could also be something like the clock spring ( as far as flashing goes but that dont explain the shaking ), so a flashing/blinking don't justify anything as far as it being coils or even what ls4me states.

My point? Just have it scanned at Auto zone, it probably is the coils like I said given the other info but that deal with the blinking light is just something to think on.

The Check ENGINE Light will NOT illuminate due to a bad clock spring. The air bag light will. The (2000) owners manual states on page 9:

Light is blinking:
Engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter.
You should drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and
deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced at the first available
opportunity.

Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures
could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior
floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire.
Instrumentation

Oh OK I am wrong. I can admit that. My mistake I had the clock spring issue and was thinking of it being the engine light, then I thought why would it be but what else could it have been. Now I remember it was the air bag light.

Thanks for clearing that up.

But mine didn't not blink for a coil it just stayed on. I still stand corrected about what light it actually is but in any case giving the symptoms it does sound like a coil but like before said a flashing light could be a number of things.

I'm wasn't being aggressive and I have no problem with you. I admit that I was wrong in thinking flashing CEL was strictly coils because like joegrs said 99% of the time it is coils. I just thought it was strictly coils because everytime that happened with me personally it was a bad coil. Someone told me before it was due to a misfire but I only related it in my mind to bad coils.
My CEL also just stayed on for a coil too but under serious load it'd flash. Given the other factors and symptoms the OP is stating, I would put money on it being coil failure.

thats correct, it is always on, and when i get on it, thats when it starts to flash. Im taking it in today, I already made an appointment at Miami Lincoln Mercury.

I heard that the flashing CEL meant it was adjusting fuel trim levels.

well guys I took the car to the shop las week, it was 2 bad coils and 2 bad spark plugs. Changed them out and car runs like a dream again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back