What's this for?

I have a gen 1 without those speakers in the
Center console. But I do have the tape/am/fm
Radio and the 6 disc alpine cd changer in the trunk
That doesnt work.

In the trunk under where the rear window brake light is, I have an amp and two speakers (looks kinda like a standard 6X9)... have to remove the cover in the trunk below the rear window to see them. I thought they were rear speakers, but sounds like they are considered subs. Here's a pic.

Yep those are the factory subs

I have a Gen 1 with the 6-disc CD player (not sure if it is alpine or not), but I don't have the rear deck subs. Only the 4 door speakers and tweeters shown in OP

My 6CD is in the dash, with the tweeters shown in OP w/4 door speakers, and looking down at the rear deck there are no sign of speakers, but mine are under there when you pull the cover in the trunk and look up. I didn't know those speakers/subs & amp were in there until the trunk cover fell down (someone else broke/tore the holes out in the fabric tab holders, got to fix that somehow and put the cover back on).

My 6CD is in the dash, with the tweeters shown in OP w/4 door speakers, and looking down at the rear deck there are no sign of speakers, but mine are under there when you pull the cover in the trunk and look up. I didn't know those speakers/subs & amp were in there until the trunk cover fell down (someone else broke/tore the holes out in the fabric tab holders, got to fix that somehow and put the cover back on).

yeah I meant that my 6-disc player is in-dash.

you mean to tell me that I most likely have a set of rear deck speakers that buried underneath inside the trunk with no relief holes cut into the deck? that is pretty damn obsurd! I gotta inspect that tomorrow morning.....gotta borrow a sawz-all if that's the case.

Yep, it's possible you do. I didn't think I had them either under there. The sound may come through the fabric rear deck, might have some holes etc under the fabric... just no speaker grill showing... so it's not obvious that they are in there.

yeah I meant that my 6-disc player is in-dash.

you mean to tell me that I most likely have a set of rear deck speakers that buried underneath inside the trunk with no relief holes cut into the deck? that is pretty damn obsurd! I gotta inspect that tomorrow morning.....gotta borrow a sawz-all if that's the case.

Don't tell me that you are going to start cutting holes in the back deck?...
Those lil "subs" are not going to sound any better of you start hacking up
The back dash. Just hate to see you ruin your car.

They are subs buy they are tiny and paper thin and distort easily.

I have the bass turned all the way down on my system and let the real sub in my trunk handle the lows.

I paid a little closer attention today, and those center console speakers definitely are used for the "driver seat", "front seat" etc. settings.

I agree completely as posted above that the DSP settings are just stupid gimmicks. Those aren't specific to Lincoln; I've seem them on many different rental cars I've had, and they all suck eggs.

Interesting discussion on the rear subwoofers. They sound great if you have the stock premium sound system, because the whole system is matched and tuned. Just like the center console speakers. But as soon as you change your head unit you have to figure out what to do with the stock speakers. Chances are the unit isn't tuned to used the center console speakers. Additionally, if you want to hammer the bass (my friend used to call it "flossing"), then I would think the stock subs should be either bypassed or converted into standard use, letting an aftermarket sub do the work.

I'm sure it is a solid deck, but I'll check it out tomorrow.

It's not. There are holes for the subs, and vents into the trunk anyway.
THX adds grills on the back deck, but I would rather it be invisible, like my 04 without THX (but with subs).

The subs were dumped in '01 or '02 from the Alpine (premium) for weight savings. Yea, I know; what did they save, 5 pounds?

The full size spare was dumped for the same reason.

i like the full size spare. wish they would have kept that.

At least a full size still fits in the sump. I bought a couple of used OEM rims and now have full sized spares in both of mine.

Idouble checked I have the fabric cut outs underneath covered by a carpeted cardboard deck. But no speakers, amp, or wiring. No big deal. The sound that I get is pretty good already. Especially with the windows closed. My next LS im going to hook up a system and terrorize my neighborhood

Members online

Back