Whats the scoop on the sway bar redesign?

If you want to try a shortcut fix... rather than using friction tape,,, go to orange depot or the blue box,,, and pick up one of those electrical splice kits that has the very large heat shrink tubing. It should shrink down enough to snug up on the sway bar. Uswe more than one layer if needed. Keep in mind though,,, that this is just a temporary fix... and you will eventually need new bushings or a complete sway bar replacement.

Ask yourself... how many times you want to screw around with this. Your own answer at that point,,, should tell you how to fix the problem.

ya know, I've been accused of wanting to work on cars more than wanting to drive them. never been a mechanic-by trade. just like to tinker. but your question is a valid one-not the easiest job on a car that's not easy to work on to start with. the friction tape will be easier to do than to pull a piece of heatshrink from the end of the bar. maybe. I've a classic mini out there that needs the water pump replaced. been dreading that one. were the bushings available, there would be no question. guess I'm just a glutton for it.

The heat shrink I am looking at in person,,, has a diameter of 1.250. Electrical supply shops have larger sizes with varying shrink ratios. Joe gave you the link to the Energy Suspension bushings. Last I checked, (a few years back), they were still available. You are gonna fight the install on the bushings,,, fight the install on the grip tape, (with it most likely not working)... and fight the install of a new sway bar, (which includes the bushings).

So again... pick your fight,,, and ask yourself if you want to do it again, (unless quick resale is your motive).

I guess the biggest point with the LS,,, that most newbie owners don't realize... is that shortcuts don't work,,, and WILL come back to bite you in the a$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've said it before,,, and I'll say it again... the LS is "pay to play". The LS was originally a rich man's car... and the upkeep on them today is not cheap,,, and cutting corners is not an option unless you want a short relationship with it.

i do appreciate your input; and may well prove to be accurate in this case. I have the e/s bushings on the car already. since early '14. I didn't like the way they fit then, and still don't. I kept the original bushings; they do have a ford part # on them. it doesn't cross to anything. this is the 28.5 mm bar (according to e/s), w/the raised portions on both sides of the bushing. I could possibly try some split clamps or even ss hose clamps to keep the bar centered and secure, but hey, being unconventional isn't always bad. worst case scenario, more time and effort will need to be spent. I remain undaunted. by the way, I kinda live by your byline. mine is just for fun.

The Ford bushings most like won't cross to anything... because they are originally part of the sway bar assembly. To get new ford bushings,,, you have to buy the sway bar with them... already installed. But you knew that already. :)

joegr gave me that link earlier in this thread. and I do apologize to grizzlyls for the hijack.;)

I would do an upgrade to the 30 mm sport sway bar and its molded on bushings, and be done with it. One thing about that job is that there is almost no room to move the assembled bar through the area it has to get to. I had no problem with my original bar's pathway through the underneath to get into position, but I was completely unable to get the one piece bushing and bar assembly in. I ended up pulling the secondary cross member out and it went in with no effort. The downside of doing that is that you'll need an alignment when you are finished doing that, since that part is used by the lower control arms, which are an alignment sensitive item. I have 212K miles or so on mine, no signs of noises. The sport sway bar is also a nice way to upgrade the road hugging features of the LS on corners. Oh and, my LS is always in need of an alignment, for whatever reasons, so yours might also be. :)

definitely very tight down there. appreciate the heads up. still don't know what i'll do at this point; the car doesn't see much mileage/wife's second driver. she likes her rodeo anniversary edition lse. smh.

Members online

No members online now.
Back