Whats the best gear for hills??

Hawk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I read my owners manual and it says use D2,D3 when towing up hills however It does not mention anything for normal driving when NOT towing..
Anyway I'm just curious as which gear is most suitable for the engine for driving up hills??

1st gear. Works all the time. If it don't then it just can't be done.

Mine had no problem chugging along in D5 going through West Virginia on Cruise Control. When I got off the interstate and started taking some back roads for fun I used D4 cause it responded better.

I just step on the throttle and let the magic do its work.

What Vancouver do you live in?

I read my owners manual and it says use D2,D3 when towing up hills however It does not mention anything for normal driving when NOT towing..
Anyway I'm just curious as which gear is most suitable for the engine for driving up hills??

It's automatic. Just put it in D5 and let it go.
Going down hills is another story. If you find that you are constantly using the brake going down a long hill, down shift a gear or two so that you don't have to overheat the brakes.

this car is smarter then most of its operators, it will do what it wants and needs to do.

On a lot of uphills with turns 40-60mph i have the found 3rd gear to be the best. Not too snappy but still pulls good. D5 for normal driving that is mostly freeway, on the road if I want to drive a bit quicker D4 or SST.

Mt. Washington Auto road is fun as long as you don't get a slow poke in front of you. You can go down almost the entire rd in 2nd without touching the brakes. Going up, 2nd and 3rd are ample, though I started to use 1st up near the top to make up for the altitude power loss (6000') of about 50 hp.

It's automatic. Just put it in D5 and let it go.
Going down hills is another story. If you find that you are constantly using the brake going down a long hill, down shift a gear or two so that you don't have to overheat the brakes.

Exactly what Joe said. Put in drive and go. It won't climb? Floor it. Simple as that.

TOWING WITH THE LS?... whatcha haulin back there

TOWING WITH THE LS?... whatcha haulin back there

My LS owner's manual has this to say about towing.

TRAILER TOWING
Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available
through Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealers.
Driving

Members online

No members online now.
Back