what's good sports car for $5K?

loveLSE

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
sorry for this being no LS related but,
wanted to get a opinion from you all.
Im looking for a nice sports car for under 5K.
maybe 300zx, eclipse, mustang...
something that's small 2 door, that will save me gas (maybe)
I just bought a house and new place is further away from my work than my current residence. so I want to put less mile on my LSE and get something to put on miles for my home-work travel.
what are some good ones?

A older Toyota Supra, MR2, Corvette, Camaro - well those won't save you any gas. How about an '86 Honda Civic Si?

82-89 Porsche 934 (4cy front engine rwd)

Merkur XR4ti (turbo 2.3L front engine rwd)

A decent mustang, camode, firebird, vette, etc is going to cost you more than 5k for anything that hasn't been cut up or beat on. Plus V8's dont do well on gas and to have a V6 of any of these 4 just makes me want to
puke.gif

Patrick00LS said:
92-95 honda civic hatchback si
He said sports car, not grocery getter. For the purpose you stated i'd go with either 90's F-body or mustang. Tons of horsepower with cheap bolt ons and still decent with mpg. Another choice is a Taurus SHO, cheap but still fun.

The civic hb Si is a nice idea, but to get it sporty which very easily done cause of the sh!t out there for them, you would have to spend more money.

Personally I really liked my '94 Eclipse, was not super fast but damn it was great on gas and I liked the look of it. I really miss that car and my '88 z24(that was a fun ass car).

'90-'95 prelude SI maybe, style changed in 94 I believe. There is alot of cars you can get into, even somewhat newish ones. I would suggest just taking a day and go to dealers left and right and see what they have. I know I enjoy going and checking out rides and taking test drives.

What about an older BMW? I am a big fan of Bimmers myself and I always recommend em to everyone.

My 90 325i, has been nothing but pleasure for last 2 and a half years that I own it.

P.S. The last picture is the original spare tire.

aaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

bmw 325i and Mercury.JPG

bmw 325i.JPG

DSC03575.JPG

DSC03573.JPG

DSC03585.JPG

DSC03590.JPG

agree

KD00LS said:
Eagle Talon TSI
AWD Turbo, easy to mod.

X2 Very easy to mod dump 1-2K in it and you can run 11's all day and still get 30mpg

Mid 90's Z-28 Camaros can be found for very cheap. You can get surprisingly great highway mileage with them. My buddy had one and he could get an average of like 27 MPG on the interstate.....In town was a whole other story...lol.:p

There is plenty of aftermarket and they are one of the safest vehicles in the event of an accident.

Plus its only a true sportscar when its RWD. :D

Camaro is not a sports car, its a muscle car... if u want a rwd sport car get a MIATA they are way fun to drive and u can even make it fast if u want..

HyeLifeLS said:
What about an older BMW? I am a big fan of Bimmers myself and I always recommend em to everyone.

My 90 325i, has been nothing but pleasure for last 2 and a half years that I own it.

P.S. The last picture is the original spare tire.

I agree, I had a 91 325ix, AWD that was an absolute blast to drive. I kick myself all the time for getting rid of it.

Never thought a camaro would be safe, I have seen many in various types of accidents and have seen a few ripped apart and others where you wondered if the driver was dead(parents were emt's when we lived in NY).

Vette's are good on gas actually. Even the 80's got highway close to 28.

2002_LS_V8 said:
Camaro is not a sports car, its a muscle car... if u want a rwd sport car get a MIATA they are way fun to drive and u can even make it fast if u want..
What???? What???? That is the dumbest statement i have ever seen. The F-body is a sports car fool and yes has alot of muscle. The LT-1 f-body has the same mpg rating as the '03 LS and its scary how fast they can be made with very little money. Their downfall is the suspension and weight ratio. That can be overcome with some aftermarket parts and you'll have a solid road machine. A miata ??

Yea he has no idea what he is talking about. I just bought an F-body '89 Camaro with a TPI 350ci truck block motor built up with forgesd pistons, aftermarket cam, headers, custom 3" flowmaster exhaust, chip and soon to come intake and bigger tb and maybe a little nos and some slicks. Bottom line is that wiht the aftermarket suspension and performance tires it hugs the road around corners better than the LS. Of course the ride is a lot rougher and louder...but much MUCH faster. Its definitely a "sports car"...if the performance doesn't do it the black on black exterior/interior color scheme with full '92 Z28 ground effects, '92 Z28 hood w/ ram air and a nifty little spoiler screams sports car. 2002_LS_V8 is young, like me, he'll learn just like I have been...

'90-'95 prelude SI maybe, style changed in 94 I believe. There is alot of cars you can get into, even somewhat newish ones. I would suggest just taking a day and go to dealers left and right and see what they have. I know I enjoy going and checking out rides and taking test drives.[/QUOTE]

style changed in 93, a buddy of mine in the navy had one, traded it for a scion tc. oddly enough, another friend of mine traded a 97 lude for a tc, something about going from a prelude to a scion., but yeah, a prelude si would be sporty and get good gas mileage. or you could say to hell with mpg and get a fox body stang with a 302. light little car, easy to mod engine. those things are fast.

Members online

No members online now.
Back