What's a good tire(rubber) for this car?

SultanGris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Heard Michelin pilot 4s are good but was reading about them and it says the can't be flexed under 20 degrees or they get wrecked. Is that gonna be true of any good performance tire? I live in North Dakota but winter in Las Vegas and don't really want to have two sets of tires for this car. Thanks

Heard Michelin pilot 4s are good but was reading about them and it says the can't be flexed under 20 degrees or they get wrecked. Is that gonna be true of any good performance tire? I live in North Dakota but winter in Las Vegas and don't really want to have two sets of tires for this car. Thanks
I've been running Michelins on my LSE for three years now and haven't had any problems whatsoever...from my experience Michelins perform brilliantly on the Ls/LSE

I've been running Michelins on my LSE for three years now and haven't had any problems whatsoever...from my experience Michelins perform brilliantly on the Ls/LSE
Which ones? They have tons of models. The pilot 4s even has a few different variations, more of a high end performance racing tire from my understanding. Better grip and handling. What's your yearly low temps like where you live? Thanks

Is that an old link? It doesn't go to tires. I don't think they make those anymore, not in my size anyway. 225\50\17. I have Michelin p4 sport all season or michelin ps2 for choices in michelin. Yokohama assent gts have a higher utqg rating than both of them if that means anything. Thanks.

I put on Continental PureContact LS 235/50R17 96V a year and a half ago and the tires perform great year around including the Chicago suburbs winter weather. I used the Tire Rack website to compare overall performance and comments from other buyers; the Continentals are also not as expensive as the Michelins or others.

I put on Continental PureContact LS 235/50R17 96V a year and a half ago and the tires perform great year around including the Chicago suburbs winter weather. I used the Tire Rack website to compare overall performance and comments from other buyers; the Continentals are also not as expensive as the Michelins or others.
You can get pretty much any of the top brands at a lower price if you constantly are watching tire rack. I want to say I paid less than $120 each for the tire when I got my set that I had linked up above.
Is that an old link? It doesn't go to tires. I don't think they make those anymore, not in my size anyway. 225\50\17. I have Michelin p4 sport all season or michelin ps2 for choices in michelin. Yokohama assent gts have a higher utqg rating than both of them if that means anything. Thanks.
Yeah, it's an older link so the url could have changed as it seems to do overtime with tire rack.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Gone through 2 sets so far with 70k miles from each set.
On 3rd set now.

Been in pouring down rain with them... Driven 60mph in 6" of powder snow. Been on pure ice with them... and 4" of wet snow at 40mph.

I'm sold on them as one of the best all around tires available on the market over the last decade.

Just keep in mind that any tire relies on a proper alignmemt, and regular, (every oil change), proper tire rotation.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Gone through 2 sets so far with 70k miles from each set.
On 3rd set now.

Been in pouring down rain with them... Driven 60mph in 6" of powder snow. Been on pure ice with them... and 4" of wet snow at 40mph.

I'm sold on them as one of the best all around tires available on the market over the last decade.

Just keep in mind that any tire relies on a proper alignmemt, and regular, (every oil change), proper tire rotation.
I do recall seeing those on the short list of my filtered search results, thanks for the tip!

Ours had Tiger Paws on it when we bought it, I want back to the stock tires it was born with ( sorry, I'm suffering from brain freeze at the moment, was it Firestone Indy 500 A/T or something like that or am I confusing it with another car? Anyway its raining hard here and the car is parked 400 feet away). Both are excellent tires and quiet too.

Which ones? They have tons of models. The pilot 4s even has a few different variations, more of a high end performance racing tire from my understanding. Better grip and handling. What's your yearly low temps like where you live? Thanks
Sorry for the late response don't get on here very much anymore ...lose track of time ...so busy with everything...
I just picked up some new Toyos 225-50-17 I picked up off a guy for $300 brand new as you can see ...Marketplace is the best:) this thread made me pull the trigger on some new tires...but the Michilens that I'm currently running I bought used off a guy on Marketplace three years ago and they have been amazing in all aspects I've really liked the feel of the 225/50/17's so much more than the OEM size that I'm sticking with it ...just can't afford brand new Michelins ...I wish I could they're a damn good tire...and I couldn't pass up the deal on the Toyos ...I will update the group how the new Toyos hold up when I get them on in a few weeks ...cheers:cool:
20210328_080127.jpg
20210328_080047.jpg

By the way ...Michilen energy savers ...225/50/17 and yes that's plasti dip on them lol

Last edited:
225 50 17 is what's on mine right now, what's the stock size supposed to be?

Ours had Tiger Paws on it when we bought it, I want back to the stock tires it was born with ( sorry, I'm suffering from brain freeze at the moment, was it Firestone Indy 500 A/T or something like that or am I confusing it with another car? Anyway its raining hard here and the car is parked 400 feet away). Both are excellent tires and quiet too.

The OEM tires on the LS were a soft compound Dunlop tire. They didn't hold up very well. IIRC... they were only good for about 40k miles.

25 years tearing apart and examining different brand of tires, I can honestly say that Mich's are the best in over all quality. They have very tight tolerances in the building of their tires. No one knows how they do it, it is still a company secret. The Japanese are not far behind, the up comers are the Chinese. Always check the DOT first two digits, where the tire is made....then check to see when the tire plant was built....the newer the plant the better the tires,,,,better techology.....Goodyear makes a good tire too...Get the tires that fit the vehicle for what you plan to do with it, at the least cost. For normal comfortable driving all season designs are good. The tread design makes a big difference in tire noise, want less noise,,,get finer tread grooves,,look to the mich's all season as examples. Bigger gaps in grooves allow more noise to escape the interior of the tire tread. Want better mileage, look at the treadwear indicator. Look for a rating of 600 and above.

225 50 17 is what's on mine right now, what's the stock size supposed to be?

You can go to Tirerack.com and enter your vehicle details and it will show the OEM tire size. My 2005 Ultimate came from factory with Michelin Primacy MXV4, size 235/50 ZR17 96V

On 3rd set now.

DWS is great. 2nd set got around 60k on the first. Very stable in snow and heavy rain and not too much noise. They are only $125 right now.

Factory sport tires were 235/50 17 or optionally, 245/45 17. I have been happy with the 245s for my last couple hundred K. Watch out for hard compound tires I have some on right now that literally would rather go straight then turn in the rain, very scary going 30 around an S turn and the car starts going straight with no spare room (other cars 5 feet away in the opposite direction) . I think that the ones I have now (I am 100 miles from the car) may be the hankook ventus and may only have a compound rated at 400 treadwear. One other thing these tires like to do is break free on wet roads, even going into second gear I need to watch my track before these things break free and set me going completely sideways... I may get less of that with narrower tires now that I think about it, sort of like snow tires, the narrower, the better bite in the snow.

Factory sport tires were 235/50 17 or optionally, 245/45 17. I have been happy with the 245s for my last couple hundred K. Watch out for hard compound tires I have some on right now that literally would rather go straight then turn in the rain, very scary going 30 around an S turn and the car starts going straight with no spare room (other cars 5 feet away in the opposite direction) . I think that the ones I have now (I am 100 miles from the car) may be the hankook ventus and may only have a compound rated at 400 treadwear. One other thing these tires like to do is break free on wet roads, even going into second gear I need to watch my track before these things break free and set me going completely sideways... I may get less of that with narrower tires now that I think about it, sort of like snow tires, the narrower, the better bite in the snow.
Yeah I wanted soft ones, these are 540, not quite as soft as I wanted but I can take a 25 mph curve at 60. Bought rims at the same time this time, next time I need tires I'm probably going to try some 400 michelins or so maybe.

I'm in Vegas, it never rains, can't even use my auto windshield wipers. Speaking of which are they supposed to cycle every time you start the car? Because mine do and it's quite annoying so I just leave them off.

A narrow tire is probably better in the rain, and so is deep treads to move the water, if there's nowhere for it to go you hydroplane. Worn out tires are more dangerous in rain than new ones also.

Members online

No members online now.
Back