What tools? Snap on? Mac?

NLOCNILMK8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Just a question of what you guys like for tools, and what you guys think are the best ones. I am currently a student at Wyotech(Auto Tech), and I am looking to buy a pretty big set of tools, including a nice box. I am pretty sure I am going to get a Snap-On box, but im unsure about what tools to get. I have been told there all pretty much good, Snap-on, Matco, Mac, Etc....minus craftsman..Everyone and anyone says there :q :q ....I get 50% of all Snap-On products, 55% of Mac Tools, and 50% off Matco. I was looking to spend about 4-5,000, but with 50% off thats almost 10k worth of tools...Any feedback is great on what are your fav. tools..or whats your fav. boxes...pictures would be nice too if you have any! Thanks!!

i have heard that snapon are good by atleast 4 ppl i know that work on cars at there own homes on there own cars and buddys cars
but i have heard regular mechanics put down snap owns so id leave it up to you

Snap-on , matco, and mac are all good tools since you are getting that big a discount go with the best Snap-On.

1. Snap-On
2. MAC
3. Matco
4. Craftsman professional series.

I own almost $15,000 dollars worth of tools. 75% are snap-on, and then mac, and craftsman make up the rest. I like Craftsman because you can take them to the local sears store no questions asked. Around here, I have to wait for the snap-on guy to make his weekly appearance.

Quality wise, you CANNOT go wrong with snap-on. I WOULD buy matco, but we don't have a matco guy in my area. Right now, I'm looking at a new Tool chest. I have a feeling it's gonna be this one....http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...d=3500&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

This will give me the ability to get rid of a bunch of my smaller boxes, and get more tools in the same location. Then later, i'll be able to buy the top chest to go with it.

Mike

I may be getting a new tool box, here the Cornwell tool guy will let me pay it off. Cool pic in your signature Mike. :cool:

I have a mix and match set of tools ranging from Craftsman to Mac. It all depends on how much you want to spend. I'd say if you can get discounts on Snap-on, Mac or Matco then go with those. If I were to spend the cash to get new tools I'd probably go with Snap-On. However, for what I use tools for Craftsman is good too. I'd say it would probably be different is you were using the tools for a living.

i have some tool not many they are preaty old most from the 80s from sears my uncle gave them to me not alot of them
he gave them to me
becouse he stoped working this should probly be one of its own threads lol
but he yous to strip cars yeah him and some boddy had a chop shop back in the 60 70 and 80 then he got busted LOL
crime never payes when he came home 2 years ago he gave some tools to me

Personnally, I don't think Craftsman tools are bad at all.It's like everything else, some of the're stuff is great,(like wrenches),some of the're stuff sucks.The same goes for snap-on, mac, etc.The problem with snap-on and mac is price, but with your discount it shouldn't be bad.I like S&K tools alot and I really really really like my gearwrenches, but when it comes to buying tools I don't buy from any one company.I have mainly S&K socket sets,craftsman and gearwrench wrenches,snap-on hammers and prybars and that sort of thing, and alot of mac screwdrivers and pliers.When it coems to locking plyers I ONLY buy vise-grip brand, and I prefer channellock brand channel locks.Basically, you'll find out what you like and what you don't.When I started out, and first bought tools, 95% of them where craftsman because I could get the most for my money.12 years later, alot of those have been replaced with other brands.
Watch out buying a box.You want a sturdy one, but alot of entry level mechanics go out and get 5 and 6 thousand dollar boxes so they can look like big shots, but forget that it's the tools doing the work.I've got probably $8,000 worth of tools, and they're in a $700 box.Also, watch out buying entire sets of things when you only need a couple pieces.A full box is nice, but what's the point if you never use half the tools.

Cool!...Thanks for all the info..I think right now I am going to get a Snap-On...I am Interested right now in one of there tool sets. Alot of tools, pullers, impacts, etc..for a decent price!...We will..see I will let all of you know on my purchase, maybe post some pictures..thanks for all the info!!

Originally Posted by crazyman
A full box is nice, but what's the point if you never use half the tools

:I that's the reason i haven't got a bigger tool box yet.

I'm upgrading to make space in the garage. I have 5 normal top chests, and a couple rolling chests all over the place. If I buy a bigger one, everything will be in one place.

Members online

Back