What the hell is that?

ohioLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has nothing to do with Lincoln LS's but I was interested in seeing if anyone else has similuar feelings about this new Pontiac Solstice that was unvailed on the Apprentice. I personally found that car beautiful until I read that is a lil four banger and is most likely built on the G6 platform. What is with people, I guess roadsters of this erea will always be under powered. Yeah this car will sell like hotcakes because its pretty but honestly any nice new ride for $20k must handle like a Jeep Wrangler. I also belive that the car is probably the size of a shoe box too. Here is the link to car take a look and give me your 2 cents worth. :feedback

http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/

ohioLS said:
I know this topic has nothing to do with Lincoln LS's but I was interested in seeing if anyone else has similuar feelings about this new Pontiac Solstice that was unvailed on the Apprentice. I personally found that car beautiful until I read that is a lil four banger and is most likely built on the G6 platform. What is with people, I guess roadsters of this erea will always be under powered. Yeah this car will sell like hotcakes because its pretty but honestly any nice new ride for $20k must handle like a Jeep Wrangler. I also belive that the car is probably the size of a shoe box too. Here is the link to car take a look and give me your 2 cents worth. :feedback

They built is as a 4 Banger to keep it cheap... Its not too flashy inside...
Will be a fun car for College Kids... GM is definitely targeting the young female FUN market with this car... Notice all the women in their commercials lately?
Anyway... Here is a pic from the NY Show for yez!!!!

Solstice (Small).jpg

Yeah, I think GM intended this thing to be a Miata beater...put a intercooled turbo on that 4 like Mazdaspeed did and you might have something...nowhere near a Cobra but something nontheless...

i think the front end is uggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggly imo pontiac make some of the ugliest cars...they have no insperation no style, now lincolns on the other hand......

I watched the Apprentice last night and saw the teams work an ad campaign for it. It's a pretty cool car and pricing starts at $19,999. However, Trump said the winner of the Apprentice would get one of these cars as a bonus. Seems kind of a cheap car for going through hell for 16 weeks.

I'm a Pontiac guy, so this may be a surprise when I say:

To hell with the Solstice. It's ugly and underpowered. Wait until mid-late 06, when the Saturn Sky Redline comes out. Turbo Ecotec rated at 253 HP. THAT is more like it (albeit a far cry from what I'd like to see, upwards of 350 HP).

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/future_vehicles/sky.jsp?nav=710

It's the same thing essentially as the Solstice, but costs more and looks 1000X better.

I as well watched the Apprentice, I really like the car. The body lines look great. A little more horsepower would always be nice, with dual exhaust. But if they can keep the price were they said it would be, they'll sell alot. But I won't buy one !!!

True I think GM is totally marketing for the younger crowd but damn why so small? I am sorry but this car has nice lines but still under powered and small. We all agree on two things 1)there will be no 6' guys with beer bells driving these and 2) the Lincoln LS is all our #1 car. LOL

-Scott-

Fastbird said:
I have to disagree. My Trans Am is my #1 car, followed by my other Trans Am, then the Lincoln. :N

:I :I

#2 is my '68 Cutlass (shares garage w/ my WS6 'vert), #3 would be the LS (sits outside).

A non-disgruntled '00 LS-8 owner. ;)

Don't worry, in typical GM fashion, more HP in the Solstice will come in the 2nd or 3rd year of production. IMHO, I don't think the Solstice is all that bad, bold marketing move for GM. Yet they've screwed up and allowed to die MANY good cars w/ poor marketing & product improvement planning.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Don't worry, in typical GM fashion, more HP in the Solstice will come in the 2nd or 3rd year of production. IMHO, I don't think the Solstice is all that bad, bold marketing move for GM. Yet they've screwed up and allowed to die MANY good cars w/ poor marketing & product improvement planning.

:I :I :I in 28 years of life I saw ONE firebird commercial...once...

OK let me retract saying the LS is our #1 car, what I meant was, its my #1 everyday car. You think my 67 E-Type roadster Jaguar isnt my favorite you are crazy. So I am sorry the LS is my #1 everyday car.

-Scott-

solstice

ohioLS said:

:bsflag: ahhhh, i think the flag says it all! i mean decent lookin car, but that only gets u so far, esp when you'll have Kia's passing u on the highway!

like most i also watched the apprentice (crybaby), and like some i think the car is a good looking car it could use more hp and a bigger engine. the saturn mentioned above is another good looking car with the whole package looks and power

Yeah..It was time for Chris to go. I think the car looks OK. Every other Pontiac made today looks the same. At least they finally friggen made a car that looks different. Maybe it will take some sales from Mazda. The US needs to make a small car like this and I am glad to see they have done it. As far as marketing...it probably won't make or break a car. If people like a car, they don't need a commercial for it, especially younger buyers. Ford NEVER has to do a Mustang commercial. It won't help anything. People know all about it and like it or hate it already. If you make something nice and reliable, they will buy it.

Cars go away when they don't make enough sales.

At least they are making the little cars RWD, not even Lincoln is keeping RWD. I love having an American made car, but GM cars are not impressing me and Ford is taking away the RWD. I when I save up enough money - Infiniti may be my next ride. The G35 coupe & FX45 are sweet rides.
Until then - :L

Members online

No members online now.
Back