What spark plugs to use on my 98 MARK VIII LSC chipped?

vikingdiesel

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Does having a chip matter what plugs to use? I have a 98 VIII LSC with a hypertech chip, which plugs to use. (however, i met take the chip out, depending on my bogging issue) not sure if chipped or not chipped matters on the plugs, but either way, which ones to use?

22c's I believe... or is it 12's...

I think the 12's are for boosted applications

Call Maxx... he'll get you straightened out

awsfa 12 C is a nitrous/boosted application plug
awsfa 22 C is the one you want for a "chipped car"

But..without knowing more about the actual programming ON the chip it may NOT even need a plug change.

the "change the plugs" deal came from Jerry a well known Ford tuner who suggested running them to "increase the knock tolerance" of these motors, which was needed to run HIS programming.

not "all" chips are set up this way.. hypertech most surely ISNT
I dont think LMS suggests a plug change for their tunes either.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...
A "moo" point... like the one a cow makes

ok, so now knowing, that my car will NOT be chipped, what plugs should i use now on a stock engine

Autolite 746. Pretty much the cheapest you can get. I am not joking.

I am chipped with C heads on an 04 block and Mach intake. I still use 764s.

so autolite 746 or 764? So no double, triple, quadruple....etc prong? Juat a basic single prong?

764... I think.. LOL Now I am even confused :)

Um, single prong is always the most effective unless you want to believe in marketing hype and again avoid the tangible proven effects of simple physics. With muti-prong plugs only one prong ends up getting used, path of least resistance. The other get carboned up and coated to be never used. They will also act as a shield to hide the spark.

the only benifit on multi pronged plugs is in their original environment
Air Plane spark plugs
The multi prong offers NO performance advantage.

it's only benifit is in an engine where the operator controls the fuel mixture such as in an airplane.

they are there, so incase MR nitwit pilot leans out the motor too much and burns the electrode off the plug.

other than that, they are marketing HYPE

My plug of choice is the Motorcraft AWSFA 22 C
it's one step colder than stock which increases the engines knock tolerance and allows more timing to be added..and it's a copper plug which is what the "C" stands for.

I get them locally for less than 20.00 per set
that's "cheap enough" for me, and it's a motorcraft plug.

NGK iridium IX plugs and NGK coils. When I installed this pair on mine, the check engine light came on because of the sudden, drastic, change in performance.:cool:

Mine comes one when there is a drop in performance too... :)

Nice one unity.:p I could feel the increase in performance from the old factory stuff. In Motorcrafts defense, it was the original plugs and coils. 67k miles without a tune-up. Sad:(

Well 67k is fine for factory plugs, they are good to 100k. Should they be replaced sooner? I would say yes.

Replacing the factory coils is a mistake... Motorcraft all the way for the ignition or you are asking for trouble

Basically you want to run the coldest plug you can without fouling. This will minimize any chance of pinging and the resultant loss of timing due to the knock sensors telling the PCM to back down the advance.

Start with the 764s. Next change, if there is no suggestion of plug fouling upon inspection of the spark plugs, go with a one step colder plug such as the AWSF 22c's. After that you can try the 12c's, but be wary of any mis-fires that may suggest fouling of the sparkplugs, especially on a typical stock 'uber-rich' tune (Tommy coined that term).

Your experience will vary according to the vehicle and driver. Typically with a stock Mark VIII, no benefit will be gained from a colder plug.

Members online

No members online now.
Back