What is this?

Tmauer14

LVC Member
Reaction score
This has been appearing on my right rear bumper right behind the tire for about two weeks now, and I dont know what it is. It comes in streaks and also spots like shown in the pictures. I smeared it a little in the second picture so you guys could see what its like. I have no clue what it is!

image.jpgimage (7).jpgimage (5) (278x266).jpg

image.jpg

image (7).jpg

image (5) (278x266).jpg

Dont think its bubblegum, haha!

It doesn't come off in the car wash, have to rub it off pretty good, then it is there again 3 days later!

Pay close attention to your route to work and back. I'll bet you are driving over a road section that recently started looking like this.

_MG_7574.jpg

Because someone did this.

crack-sealing-header.jpg

Which can turn to this when the sun starts hitting it, especially if it was put on after it cooled down last fall.

automated-system-detects-and-fills-cracks-asphalt-roads-1340657416_0.jpg

The only thing to do is try to avoid any roads that have this.

Looks like gum to me. It gets black as dirt adheres to it.

You'd be amazed by how much grease those front bearing hold. However, if I remember correctly, it is a lighter color than that.

Do you use a tire dressing?

Looks like road tar. Remove the wheel that it is near and the brake assembly and rotor to see if excess wheel bearing grease is present. Inspect bearings. A simple inspection of the inside of the rim may indicate what it is.

Pay close attention to your route to work and back. I'll bet you are driving over a road section that recently started looking like this.

_MG_7574.jpg

Because someone did this.

crack-sealing-header.jpg

Which can turn to this when the sun starts hitting it, especially if it was put on after it cooled down last fall.

automated-system-detects-and-fills-cracks-asphalt-roads-1340657416_0.jpg

The only thing to do is try to avoid any roads that have this.

There's a lot of that stuff where i live
I've never had a problem with it and in the summer temperatures reach up to 110+ degrees

She wasn't easy to get off! The streak was easy but the little specs were a bitch

After it's been on a while it's fine, but in the first year or so it can melt back up and spray the car. Plus, it also depends on exactly what kind of material the highway department used. Some road sealers are better than others.

That sh@% is all over the place over here in the summer. after doing a day of running around my car covered in it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back