What is this hose?!?

wdweric

LVC Member
Reaction score
What is this hose circled? it goes from valve cover to air intake, mine was full of sludge and cracked, need a new one just not sure what to order.

004.jpg

Flame on.

It's the crankcase vent tube/hose.

what would be the cause of the buildup of sludge in there? i was changing the COP/Plugs, and i know the gasket needs replacing because of oil in the plugs, but what is causing the sludge? and could that cause a rough idle and running rough?

what would be the cause of the buildup of sludge in there? i was changing the COP/Plugs, and i know the gasket needs replacing because of oil in the plugs, but what is causing the sludge? and could that cause a rough idle and running rough?

Its the coils and plugs causing the idle and rough running. The crankcase ventilation system is just a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine. I dont know how you got so much sludge in the hose.. Do any of the intake parts have the same sludge?

What kind of sludge? A whiteish or grayish sludge is usually normal in crankcase vents and is simply moisture.

yes - it is normal for 'some' oil to collect as part of the venting. it happens in higher compression cars more, and in forced-induction even more.

1. Some crud in that tube is normal. An excessive amount would be caused by excessive blow-by. Excessive blow-by is caused be worn rings. Here's a simple and non-precise test for excessive blow-by. With the engine running, remove the oil fill cap. Put your hand over it. If you feel a slight suction, then all is well. If you feel continuous puffs of air coming out, then there is a problem.

2. No, sludge in the crankcase vent is not causing your rough running and idle.

repaired the hose, replaced plugs/coils. ran great for a day or so, now its starting to idle a little rough. Also when i accelerate slowly it accelerates a little rough too. no check engine light on yet, will pull the code when/if it does. any ideas? O2 sensor? EGR? i am at a loss, thanks!

1. Some crud in that tube is normal. An excessive amount would be caused by excessive blow-by. Excessive blow-by is caused be worn rings. Here's a simple and non-precise test for excessive blow-by. With the engine running, remove the oil fill cap. Put your hand over it. If you feel a slight suction, then all is well. If you feel continuous puffs of air coming out, then there is a problem.

2. No, sludge in the crankcase vent is not causing your rough running and idle.

checked the oil fill, didnt feel any puffs of air coming out, but that same oily yellow brownish build up was on my cap and in the oil fill tube

Maybe you should get a sample of the oil analyzed to find out what is going on.

Do you change the oil at least every 5K miles?

Are you using 5W20 or 5W30 oil?

Are your trips long enough for the engine to reach full temperature for a while?

Maybe you should get a sample of the oil analyzed to find out what is going on.

Do you change the oil at least every 5K miles?

Are you using 5W20 or 5W30 oil?

Are your trips long enough for the engine to reach full temperature for a while?

I know it hasnt been 5000 miles since last change, maybe time to change again?

not sure which oil i put in, i know probably something i should know! :)

now today, i just got the misfire blinking light and then the check engine light came on again, i will have to go to autozone and pull the codes. ugh, so frustrating. on Sunday after i changed the plugs?coils it ran great. now back to how it was running before.
the only other thing that i can think of is that my (guessing) radiator hose keeps coming loose and spraying antifreeze all over, possible cause?

wow....if you are loosing coolant and not replacing it that isnt good.

I know it hasnt been 5000 miles since last change, maybe time to change again?

not sure which oil i put in, i know probably something i should know! :)

now today, i just got the misfire blinking light and then the check engine light came on again, i will have to go to autozone and pull the codes. ugh, so frustrating. on Sunday after i changed the plugs?coils it ran great. now back to how it was running before.
the only other thing that i can think of is that my (guessing) radiator hose keeps coming loose and spraying antifreeze all over, possible cause?

Okay, so I assume that you plug the hose back in and place the clamp correctly. Which hose is it exactly? If it where one of the two radiator hoses , you'd lose just about all of the coolant at once. Is it one of the smaller hoses? At which point is it popping off? Sometimes the plastic nipples break off leaving enough sticking up to put the hose on, but without the barb at the end to keep the hose from sliding off.

Coolant degrades the accessory belt, so you may need to replace it soon. If any coolant gets inside either coil cover, it will destroy the coils. If any coolant gets into the crankcase, it could explain the sludge.

in the picture above it is the hose just to the left of the yellow sticker, that clamp keeps coming loose, right after that happened yesterday it started running rough.

in the picture above it is the hose just to the left of the yellow sticker, that clamp keeps coming loose, right after that happened yesterday it started running rough.

Okay, so it is the top radiator hose. I would suspect then that you need to replace the top plastic part it attaches to.

is that whats affecting the running condition you think? where can i buy that?

Get a worm gear style hose clamp (or Two) and get rid of that spring one.

i think your talking about one that tightens with a screw? thats what i have now. i will pull the codes tomorrow and post them. thanks everyone! im a newbie looking to learn and save some money!

i think your talking about one that tightens with a screw? thats what i have now. i will pull the codes tomorrow and post them. thanks everyone! im a newbie looking to learn and save some money!

It's a spring clamp in the picture. Did you change it to worm gear clamp after the hose popped off the first time? Could you post a picture of the end of the pipe with the hose off?

Members online

No members online now.
Back