What is the stock exhaust size

styledyversatyle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I was told in one of my recent posts that The stock exhaust for the 04 model is made for maximum engine performance. So if this is so then i just want a different sound not loud but nice. I will just weld in a new muffler or mabe rib of the resonators.

Also if yall had to decide what would you do eliminate the resonators or put a different muffler on. Mind you i have a V6

If you would put on another muffler for just sound and maybe a little performance what brand would you go with.

I can't see a V6 having a 2.5" exhaust, stock, but hey ya never know.

I'd go with Magnaflows, personally.

The diameter of the stock exhaust pipes on all LS's, V6, V8, 2000 to 2006 is 2.25". It's always been that size and is the same on every LS ever made.

Stock is 2.25, magnaflow's are 2.5". Quik (I think) made a reference back in the day that someone did a 3" and actually lost HP. Something about the lost of back pressure

The MagnaFlow 00-02 system is 2.25" piping, they advertise it wrong. I'm pretty sure my stock 02 exhaust was 2" pipe.

i think i am just going to with getting 2.25 mufflers and if its too small i will go up but if its too big i will fit it in with adapters.

The diameter of the stock exhaust pipes on all LS's, V6, V8, 2000 to 2006 is 2.25". It's always been that size and is the same on every LS ever made.

+1

this is correct

if you want to upgrade - go with 2.5" piping, x-pipe, mufflers

I'm not sure what the +1 means....
I think you're saying I'm right tho Quik?
For the record , your LS is the BOMB...
3 kids 5 and under , I'll live vicariously through YOUR mods!..

yep +1 is an internet way of saying I re-state that post, or it what I would have said.

thanx for the props - the kids are more worhy of your money.....

Kids vs Hot rod?

Just can't argue with logic THAT sound.
Keep up the good work "Mr." Quik.

or i could just say +1
LMAO

I would like to see how the Flow Master Hush Power II's sound.

My 2000 Ls Magnaflow was 2.5". Im looking at the paperwork, as well I have been trying to get another muffler to fit cause the Magnaflows are crap...and if you look under a car with the Magnaflow...there is no way its smaller then 2.5".

Is your v6 AT or 5 speed?

I would get the pipes made then look for a different muffler. If your car is automatic it (IMO) sounds like crap unless you keep it in select shift.

THAT BURNS GAS FAST!!!!

So I recomend trying to find a performance sleeper type exhaust for AT even tho I love loud cars myself, I sometimes feel like a idiot when it keeps makeing high then low sounds when just cruising. It can sound nice when accelerating fast and hard but that again of course takes alot of gas.

Oh and I also seem to hear the engine over the exhaust with these as well. To me that gives it more of a little tuner sound then a American V8 rumbling sound.

I would like to see how the Flow Master Hush Power II's sound.

My 2000 Ls Magnaflow was 2.5". Im looking at the paperwork, as well I have been trying to get another muffler to fit cause the Magnaflows are crap...and if you look under a car with the Magnaflow...there is no way its smaller then 2.5".

Is your v6 AT or 5 speed?

I would get the pipes made then look for a different muffler. If your car is automatic it (IMO) sounds like crap unless you keep it in select shift.

THAT BURNS GAS FAST!!!!

So I recomend trying to find a performance sleeper type exhaust for AT even tho I love loud cars myself, I sometimes feel like a idiot when it keeps makeing high then low sounds when just cruising. It can sound nice when accelerating fast and hard but that again of course takes alot of gas.

Oh and I also seem to hear the engine over the exhaust with these as well. To me that gives it more of a little tuner sound then a American V8 rumbling sound.
All advertising and paperwork says the MagnaFlow for the 00-02 is 2.5", but its not. I called them and asked why they have it listed wrong and they just BSed alot...terrible customer service, guy was a total BSer and said they were going to correct it. It still isn't corrected. If you don't believe me double check it, the clamps say 2.25 on all 4. I even double checked comparing to some 2.5 I had laying around cause I just couldn't believe such a large company would let such a simple mistake go unfixed.

I swear my stock 02 system was 2". I reused my stock LSE tips and had to use 2 reducers for them th fit into the pipe snug.

This thread is getting kinda stupid now, does anyone have their stock system nearby to measure, mine 150miles away in my storage barn.

???????

When I called Flow Maters about the Hush Powers they also told me 2.5".

Oh well Im gunna have to look into this.

I actualy appreciate this thread now cause I was about to order the wrong size muffler if what you say is true. They still look realy big tho??????

But the rest of my suggestion I wont go back on...;)

Last edited:
If all the sizes are supposed to be the same from 00-06 why do I see different sizes for them advertised? I think you might be right if what people say about them all being the same size for the diferent years is true.

Another reason to hate magnaflow.... j/k

If all the sizes are supposed to be the same from 00-06 why do I see different sizes for them advertised? I think you might be right if what people say about them all being the same size for the diferent years is true.

Another reason to hate magnaflow.... j/k

I'm not surprized all years V6 and V8 are the same, it makes sense from the manufacturer stand point. But when I swaped to my Magna Flow, discovering it to be 2.25, it still seemed abit larger than the stock. Plus having to reduce to use my original tips also fits it being smaller. I suppose just the outlet on the MagnaFlow muffler was 2.5 where the tip went, who knows.

This thread maybe helpful...sorry.

Just curious as to if I right or wrong for no other reason than just to know.

Ahh, 2.5 in & out muffler?????
:( :confused: :( :eek: :eek:
See now Im confussed....its actually allways confused me but when I called flowmaster I thought I had it....

Ahh, 2.5 in & out muffler?????
:( :confused: :( :eek: :eek:
See now Im confussed....its actually allways confused me but when I called flowmaster I thought I had it....

Actually I'm pretty sure its 2.25 going in, just maybe 2.5 for the turn down where I cut mine off for the stock tip...maybe. Its nothing a sleeve wouldn't correct, so I think you'd be fine with a 2.5 muffler a muffler shop would sleeve and weld it up no propblem.

Ok the weather here is nasty and snow is everywhere, but I just went out and quick took a piece of string with me. What ever the size of the muffler is its the same at both ends at least on my system.
But to the original poster....go to the local speed shop and ask for advice from them as well if its one that can make a system for you.

ok. i have 2000 ls sport 3.9lv-8. Was at exhaust shop and the factory exhaust from the manifolds to the end of the resonators is 2.25. out of the resonators to the mufflers and tips are crimped down to 2.0 inches. i had the mufflers cut off and welded in 2 inch straight pipes in their place and had tips cut off of factory mufflers and welded into place which also helped save my hangers lol! I know run factory exhaust with only the resonators and it sounds neat and really woke up the car too! hopes this helps or puts this debate to rest. manifold to end of resonators=2.25 end of resonators to mufflers and tailpipes=2.0

i had the mufflers cut off and welded in 2 inch straight pipes in their place and had tips cut off of factory mufflers and welded into place which also helped save my hangers lol! I know run factory exhaust with only the resonators and it sounds neat and really woke up the car too!
I'd like to hear this.

Members online

No members online now.
Back