What happened to this

Ford never worked with McLaren on this - so they could not crack the PCM and therefore could never get the supercharger working properly.

The car was sold on e-bay a few years back, engine returned to stock and the SC was in the trunk.

What is absolutely a crying shame about this is Lincoln engineers built a 4.6 supercharged car (03/04 Cobra) and a n/a 5.0 Cammer car. Lincoln couldn't make the cars work. Yet sitting literally across the hall from them was SVT...a division that has a huge proven history of making cars like this fly seamlessly. SVT was drooling over the prospect of playing with these cars and developing an SVT LS. Yet NOT ONCE did Lincoln pick up the phone or walk across the hall and ask them about it! NOT ONE SINGLE TIME!! They let their egos get in the way. It's an absolute shame that politics got in the way and Bill Ford should have stepped in and put a halt to that crap. I think it would have revived Lincoln to no end and they would have sold every single car they built. I would have sold my Cobra for one in a heart beat.

This whole story is told in detail in interviews with SVT and a former SVT executive. MM&FF had one of the articles. The identity of the nameless executive is obvious.

Real damn shame, could you imagine how f'in hot the car would of looked w/ a kit(svt) than it already is! I got looking at the new mustangs w/ the bodykits you can get and I think if you took that and molded it to the LS it would be gorgeous and everyone would be like "no way that is a Lincoln."

Oh well, got mine and hopefully I can get another sometime and than maybe in a few years the car well be looked at like a classic. I tell myself probably not but not many growing up w/ 'Cudas and what not had any idea that they would be shought after and worth what they are now.

2001LS8Sport said:
What is absolutely a crying shame about this is Lincoln engineers built a 4.6 supercharged car (03/04 Cobra) and a n/a 5.0 Cammer car. Lincoln couldn't make the cars work. Yet sitting literally across the hall from them was SVT...a division that has a huge proven history of making cars like this fly seamlessly. SVT was drooling over the prospect of playing with these cars and developing an SVT LS. Yet NOT ONCE did Lincoln pick up the phone or walk across the hall and ask them about it! NOT ONE SINGLE TIME!! They let their egos get in the way. It's an absolute shame that politics got in the way and Bill Ford should have stepped in and put a halt to that crap. I think it would have revived Lincoln to no end and they would have sold every single car they built. I would have sold my Cobra for one in a heart beat.

This whole story is told in detail in interviews with SVT and a former SVT executive. MM&FF had one of the articles. The identity of the nameless executive is obvious.

The main issue is the 4.6 wouldn't fit in from the bottom, therefore wouldn't work on the assembly line. The 4.6 in the OLOA car was wedged in from the top.

LS4me said:
The main issue is the 4.6 wouldn't fit in from the bottom, therefore wouldn't work on the assembly line. The 4.6 in the OLOA car was wedged in from the top.

This is true...but it's this type of problem that SVT is famous for getting around. SVT was confident they could handle this...yet not once were they even asked to look at it!

The PT Cruiser had an even worse problem. The first day they started production, they built a grand total of FIVE cars. In a day! They couldn't get the engines in. They shut the line down and went back to work with engineers to make it work. At one point, they thought they were dead and the car would have to be tanked. Everyone was amazed that such a serious problem could surface at this point in production. The project was in serious trouble. But they worked through it with different installation techniques more than anything else and made it work.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Lincoln's ego and politics killed what might have been a spectacular car.

Quik LS said:
Ford never worked with McLaren on this - so they could not crack the PCM and therefore could never get the supercharger working properly.

The car was sold on e-bay a few years back, engine returned to stock and the SC was in the trunk.

How much did it go for on ebay?

I believe it sold for $27k, with something like 20k miles on it. It was a 2001 sold in late 2003.

Members online

No members online now.
Back