What does an average rear-end rebuild/install cost?

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I pulled the chunk from a 2000 Explorer (Eddie Bauer Edition) this weekend, which of course has the 3.73 LS. This is the EXACT setup I wanted, and it was from an abandoned vehicle, so it cost me nothing. I couldn't pass it up.

Now of course I was informed it's a 31-spline and I'll need to have it converted to 28-spline. I've already found a kit and confirmed with the seller that this is all that is needed to convert it for use with a 28-spline ( http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-28spline-88-spidergears-8604.html?utm_content=ford-28spline-88-spidergears-8604&utm_campaign=ShopzillaNoFitment&utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=Shopping&AMID=ford-28spline-88-spidergears-8604-NoFitment ).

I damaged one of the bearing pods on the side of the chunk, but that is normally changed on a rebuild anyway from what I was told.

With that all in mind, does anyone have any sort of idea what it would cost to have the 28-spline kit installed, rebuild whatever needs to be rebuilt and then have it installed in my car?

I've NEVER had rear end work done so I don't even have the slightest clue.

Also, long shot, but does anyone have any recommendations in my area that does it or even longer shot, does anyone in my area that is on here do that? lol.

I'm in Casselberry, FL but basically we'll just say Orlando or anywhere within ~50 miles if the price isn't crazy.

Let me know please!!

J,

Go to the Jetstream U-Pull, they have 2 MKVIIIs sitting in the yard (a 93 and a 97 Base). Grab a complete center section out of one of them and bring it to me. I will set up your rear end (as I have done at least a dozen 8.8" Trac-Locks). I am doing a 4.10 Trac-Lock for my 97 Base right now, and while I may live in St.Cloud, I work in Casselberry (right down the street from you).

I have gone to Advanced Drive line, they are in Orlando and do great work- I took my Buick there when I had the posi installed with new gears. They have been in their shop for years near OBT and Forest City Road. But first I would try to hook up with Markup97

J,

Go to the Jetstream U-Pull, they have 2 MKVIIIs sitting in the yard (a 93 and a 97 Base). Grab a complete center section out of one of them and bring it to me. I will set up your rear end (as I have done at least a dozen 8.8" Trac-Locks). I am doing a 4.10 Trac-Lock for my 97 Base right now, and while I may live in St.Cloud, I work in Casselberry (right down the street from you).

That's really awesome man! Do you have any idea what it costs to buy the whole center section from UPAP though? Never bought one before, but it would seem to be pricey lol.

How much would you charge to do it and what all would you need me to buy exactly, besides the kit to convert it to 28-spline? I'd want to make sure I have everything you need in order to do it.

I really appreciate your offer. That would be awesome if it works out this way.

I have gone to Advanced Drive line, they are in Orlando and do great work- I took my Buick there when I had the posi installed with new gears. They have been in their shop for years near OBT and Forest City Road. But first I would try to hook up with Markup97

Thanks for the information man. I actually work on Edgewater right near Forrest City. That's like 5 minutes from my shop. I may give them a call just to have some sort of idea of price.

I just purchased and am having exhaust work done, probably Thursday or Friday, and that's setting me back $600 so I was looking to do this around tax time when I have the extra play money.

J,

U-pull lists a 'Differential, center section complete' for $59.99 (and I remember mine was about that when I got it, as I am building up a spare carrier so I can just swap it when the time comes. Then I can rebuild my original carrier into a Trac-Lock unit as well!).
If we are re-using the bearings/seals in the carrier, pretty much the Trac-Lock rebuild kit is all that will be needed. The only other things that will be required are a pinion seal and a diff cover gasket (unless we use Permatex instead). Friction modifier should come with the kit, but you will need two quarts of your gear lube of choice. Just let me know when you are ready.

Alright, so, I just went to Advanced Driveline. Guy was cool as hell. That said, he quoted me $480 labor plus the cost of any parts he may need (crush sleeves, gaskets, etc). Yikes!!

I need to weigh out my cost options here.

If I buy the carrier from UPAP then buy the conversion kit, I'll need to find where to buy the bearing caps at the end of the chunk because one of those are bent from the removal. I'll have to figure out exactly what else I'll need to prove you in order for it to be built....then, I need to figure out how to go about installing it myself.

If you are talking about the carrier bearings (at either end of the carrier and held in place by the carrier caps), they can be pressed off the complete carrier section and pressed onto your Trac-Lock carrier. Use the bearing races (cups) for the bearings you use.......problem solved. Since it will need to be shimmed anyway (as each carrier/center section is slightly different), it is no problem (same with setting pinion depth).

Just let me know when you are ready.

If you are talking about the carrier bearings (at either end of the carrier and held in place by the carrier caps), they can be pressed off the complete carrier section and pressed onto your Trac-Lock carrier. Use the bearing races (cups) for the bearings you use.......problem solved. Since it will need to be shimmed anyway (as each carrier/center section is slightly different), it is no problem (same with setting pinion depth).

Just let me know when you are ready.

Awesome, thank you. I appreciate it. It'll likely be around February when I have the extra money.

For what its worth
In a 04 cobra rear end i could not put in
28 spline side gears.
The pinion shaft is a different size.
Both the side gears and pinion gears have different shaped gears also than the 28 spline too.
I ended up putting cobra 31 spline half shafts in my car to work with the 31 spline track lock.

I paid something like $250 in labor to have a brand new 28 spline torsen unit & brand new ring & pinion installed into my case.
I supplied the master rebuild kit & IRS specific seals.

J,

The kit you have listed in your first post is what you will need to convert from 31-spline to 28-spline gears. The FRPP (or similar kit) M-4700-B kit would be to rebuild the Trac-Lock unit itself.

When you install the carrier, leave the snap rings on the axle ends off. The Trac-Lock gears are not beveled to accept the snap rings and will permanently lock the axle ends in the carrier if left in place.

J,

The kit you have listed in your first post is what you will need to convert from 31-spline to 28-spline gears. The FRPP (or similar kit) M-4700-B kit would be to rebuild the Trac-Lock unit itself.

When you install the carrier, leave the snap rings on the axle ends off. The Trac-Lock gears are not beveled to accept the snap rings and will permanently lock the axle ends in the carrier if left in place.

I'll more then likely get with you in the first few months of next year when I have the extra money to do this. I'll also look up the rebuild kit you mentioned and bookmark it so I know everything I'll need to buy.

I got mine from Latemodel Restoration Supply for $89 (I believe anyway); came with new clutches, frictions, steels, friction modifier, and cross pin.

No problems or hurries, J. Even if I move on from this job, I will come up to help you out!

Not to revisit this when I'm not ready yet, but, I ran across another rebuild kit with carbon clutch packs. They have a few available on eBay for $86 which is about the same as the standard rebuild kit.

Will this one work as well? If so, I would think this is a better option, correct?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-4700-c

Yes the carbons are an upgrade.

Ok, awesome. If they are still available when I start buying the stuff, I'll get carbon.

Know anything about this spring they mention?

"31 spline S-spring, 28 spline applications require use of 28 spline S-spring not included"

The only possible 'problem' when running the carbon rebuild kit comes if you use the alternate stacking order (which requires that you re-use one of your old frictions on each side).

Now, the 31 spline S-spring is the F150 unit, which is physically larger and with quite a bit more pre-load tension. It will go in where your original S-spring sat no problem.

One more thing to consider; I soaked my clutches and steels in a quart of diff lube WITH the friction modifier added for about a week before I installed them. NO popping on the initial drive or any drive thereafter as the frictions were completely soaked through and had no dry spots whatsoever.

yep it was a bitch to install.
wear safety glasses cuz that sucker will pop you in the face if it gets a chance...

When I did mine, I clamped it in a bench vise, completely compressed it, ran 4 loops of .041" Safety wire (pulled/twisted TIGHT) around both ends of the spring, and then drove it into the carrier with a wood drift and a 3lb baby-beater. The sliding action broke the safety wire as the tight confines cut it as the spring was being driven down in.

Chris,
Thanks for that link and mention of the 'tool'! I am going to a local metal supplier Friday and will now have something else to pick up and something to fabricate. :)

Members online

Back