What do you guys think about this?

ah, there's that word again-'context', conviently used when attempting to make a point, ignoring the fact that the quoted statement was made by the longest tenured Justice in Supreme Court history

so...because he was the "longest tenured Justice" makes it ok to take his quotes out of context? That's what it sounds like u r saying. besides, his tenure as Justice doesn't mean he is infalible. That fact still stands, that the bill of rights was written as a restriction on the federal government, not the states or any private organization (business). Just because Justice Brennan may not like that fact doesn't make it untrue, and a simple blurb in an opinion doesn't change it. What u sited doesn't even change the inteprutation of it as it isn't part of any standard of test that came out of that case.

Own a business, and discriminate against a potential employee, dragged through federal courts on charges, and explain that part about the bill of rights pertaining to government again and not private business.

Own a business, and discriminate against a potential employee, dragged through federal courts on charges, and explain that part about the bill of rights pertaining to government again and not private business.

What??? I never said it currently only pertains to federal government; I said it was written to only pertain to the federal government. The Bill of Rights has been re-inturpreted and mis-intuprueted to apply now also to the states, mainly through the abuse of the due process clause. U r now going to try to compare "discrimination" to "free speech rights". For someone who brought up a supreme court justice, u really have no idea how any of our laws work especially in reguards to the courts. "Free speech" comes from the Bill of Rights; the first ten amendments (which make up the Bill of Rights) were written purely as a restriction on the Federal Government, namely Congress. The 14th ammendment deals with discrimination and come with something called an "enforcement clause"(14th Amend., Sect. 5). U r comparing apples to oranges here. In addition, the Commerce Clause has been interpreted to allow for certian restrictions on hiring practices by private businesses (the FLSA) as they are considered "Interstate Commerce". the 1st Ammendment has nothing to do with hiring practices, and is still considered a restriction on the government, not private business.

What??? I never said it currently only pertains to federal government; I said it was written to only pertain to the federal government. The Bill of Rights has been re-inturpreted and mis-intuprueted to apply now also to the states, mainly through the abuse of the due process clause. U r now going to try to compare "discrimination" to "free speech rights". For someone who brought up a supreme court justice, u really have no idea how any of our laws work especially in reguards to the courts. "Free speech" comes from the Bill of Rights; the first ten amendments (which make up the Bill of Rights) were written purely as a restriction on the Federal Government, namely Congress. The 14th ammendment deals with discrimination and come with something called an "enforcement clause"(14th Amend., Sect. 5). U r comparing apples to oranges here. In addition, the Commerce Clause has been interpreted to allow for certian restrictions on hiring practices by private businesses (the FLSA) as they are considered "Interstate Commerce". the 1st Ammendment has nothing to do with hiring practices, and is still considered a restriction on the government, not private business.

"intuprueted"..."re-intuprueted'..yea, I give up, you got me...I "intuprueted" these legal matters all wrong...you make "certian" to have your spell checker handy for your next Supreme Court appearance.

-and I'm not 'Skippy', frogman, my reply was a clarification of facts and my stated position.

Didn't come across that way to me. Maybe I suck at tEh reading comprehension...?

2000+ posts doesn't entitle you the position of bestower of nicknames, but I do respect your right to say what you want, that is your right.
See how easy that was?

No, it does not entitle me to above named position, but I DO reserve the right to call "Skippy" whomever I wish. Now, if the newly appointed "Skippy" gets butthurt... eh. sounds like a personal problem, and I respect his right to complain to management. :lol:

Ofcourse it was easy. :p

Didn't come across that way to me. Maybe I suck at tEh reading comprehension...?

Apparently, yes...

No, it does not entitle me to above named position, but I DO reserve the right to call "Skippy" whomever I wish. Now, if the newly appointed "Skippy" gets butthurt... eh. sounds like a personal problem, and I respect his right to complain to management. :lol:

Ofcourse it was easy. :p

Any name bestowed by 'Marathon Poster' (your new name) is null and void, due to the excess of verbal diarrea foisted on readership (I tried to be nice)-
as for 'butthurt'ing, that something you probably have some intimate knowledge of, out there in Wyoming, truly a personal problem you have-I suspect that must be partly enviornmental, what with all the livestock and such.
Now, complain to management, I'm sure they look foward to your many witticisms...THAT is too easy. ('lol'?-how teen)

Any name bestowed by 'Marathon Poster' (your new name) is null and void, due to the excess of verbal diarrea foisted on readership (I tried to be nice)-

It's called "Post Whoring" :lol:

as for 'butthurt'ing, that something you probably have some intimate knowledge of, out there in Wyoming, truly a personal problem you have-I suspect that must be partly enviornmental, what with all the livestock and such.

Sheep.. mmm.. wait. uhhhhhhh :shifty:

Now, complain to management, I'm sure they look foward to your many witticisms...THAT is too easy. ('lol'?-how teen)

Nah. No fun in that. I only complain to management when I'm not happy with the forum software and settings, so it's all good.

"intuprueted"..."re-intuprueted'..yea, I give up, you got me...I "intuprueted" these legal matters all wrong...you make "certian" to have your spell checker handy for your next Supreme Court appearance.

Sorry about the spelling (long day), doesn't change the facts, Skippy.

'Sorry about the spelling (long day), doesn't change the facts, Skippy.'

There goes that 'LOL' girly response (clever) along with the snappy retort from the constitutional law professor that doubles as a 27-year-old intellectual who finds it necessary to plagiarize a borrowed source of childish name-calling from the cattle boy from Wyoming (Frog likes that 'LOL" thing too, but at least his childish name-calling was original, in spite of being juvenile).

You girls should get together on 'MySpace' and list each other as 'BFF's, I can just imagine the rampant giggling going on as you share images of each other on your web cams-that's all you got???? hahaha

mm, do you have even the slightest idea of what a friendly jab is?

Is there any particular reason why you're showing your maturity (or maybe lack thereof) by calling me a "cattle-boy"? I don't even have any cattle. Not everyone is Wyoming is a Rancher or a Cowboy. I, as a matter of fact, just have property there, and I reside there. I don't even work in Wyoming. Anyways, that's more than you need to know, really.

Do you NOT understand the concept of humor? Does it elude you?

And since when is skippy "jouvenile"? Would you rather I call you "You, dumb son of a bish?" (Yes, purposely mispelled). No, I called you "skippy" because I was giving you a friendly dose of hard time. In case you haven't heard it before, it is used in certain armed forces circles as a term of endearment amongst comrades.

Are you really that desperate for a comeback that you pick on such things as "lol"? Since when is "lol" a girly response? As I'm sure you know, it stands for "laughing out loud". Are you telling me you never laugh out loud? You just snicker? Maybe, judging from your getting all offended at being called "skippy", maybe you don't even have a sense of humor?

Take a deep breath, pull your head out of your ass, and understand that we're all just trying to have a good time here. We pick on each other all the time, and it's all good. When it comes down to serious car talk, we're there for each other (after you've searched).

I'll be the first to laugh at myself and post about sheep and goats. Why? Because I have a sense of humor, I don't really care what people think, and most importantly? I'm secure of who I am. You Sir, do not seem to be. Do you maybe have some sub-conscious sexual fantasies by bringing up livestock as a half assed attempt at an insult?

As I said before. Grow up. If you can't take a friendly jab, then you have some major issues.

Now then, Skippy. Are we tracking?

L.O.L.

Frogman,

I've always respected your posts. However, you, and others, seem to still be caught up in the name calling fostered by the thankfully departed. I took a long break from this place because of all the bickering. Yes, I know, I was part of the problem.

Let me just say that I have found that words typed in jest are often mistaken for personal attacks. You all seem like a bunch of intelligent people that need to slightly take the edge off.

I sure would like to see this site go back to what it was awhile ago. I've learned a lot from you guys but the pissing contest is rediculous.

As far as slamming someone for typing and grammatical errors I think it's bad form.

Oh, Barry, please don't misunderstand. I wasn't trying to pull a fossten on mm. I called him "skippy" in a friendly jab after he thought I was calling him a liar. It is he who took it the wrong way. I try not to call people names (at least not as bad as the "thanfully departed" as you so eloquently put it), but some people need to understand it's not always about them getting bent out of shape over stuff that most people will take with a grain of salt.

Oh well... Some people will always be offended at anything you say to them.

'Sorry about the spelling (long day), doesn't change the facts, Skippy.'

There goes that 'LOL' girly response (clever) along with the snappy retort from the constitutional law professor that doubles as a 27-year-old intellectual who finds it necessary to plagiarize a borrowed source of childish name-calling from the cattle boy from Wyoming (Frog likes that 'LOL" thing too, but at least his childish name-calling was original, in spite of being juvenile).

You girls should get together on 'MySpace' and list each other as 'BFF's, I can just imagine the rampant giggling going on as you share images of each other on your web cams-that's all you got???? hahaha

....breath, skippy, breath!! Seriously, calm down! It's called 'bustin' your chops'! If anything it is meant as a term of endearment. BTW, thanks for the "constitutional law professor' bit, I take it as a compliment. Can you imagine, a constitutional law professor who can't spell?

For what it's worth, I have a brother-in-law who's a hard-core conservative Bush lover. We go at it all the time, including name calling that makes what appears in here tame. It's never come to blows, but damn close on occasion. But in the end, we always get a good laugh out of it afterwards, and there are never any hard feelings. I still have a lot of respect for him, even if he is a fool. :D

My point is, I'm completely accustomed to the kind of verbal sparring that goes on here and I'm fine with it. I can take it as well as I can dish it out. I enjoy it. Furthermore, I consider what's said in here STAYS in here. I'd bend over backwards to help out any of these guys (even Fossten ;) ) with their car or whatever else needs to be done.

If you can't take a few jabs, friendly or not, then you probably don't belong in this forum.

For what it's worth, I have a brother-in-law who's a hard-core conservative Bush lover. We go at it all the time, including name calling that makes what appears in here tame. It's never come to blows, but damn close on occasion. But in the end, we always get a good laugh out of it afterwards, and there are never any hard feelings. I still have a lot of respect for him, even if he is a fool. :D

My point is, I'm completely accustomed to the kind of verbal sparring that goes on here and I'm fine with it. I can take it as well as I can dish it out. I enjoy it. Furthermore, I consider what's said in here STAYS in here. I'd bend over backwards to help out any of these guys (even Fossten ;) ) with their car or whatever else needs to be done.

If you can't take a few jabs, friendly or not, then you probably don't belong in this forum.

That's fine, but some take it as sport, and that level of acrimony adds nothing to the conversation.

For example, Calabrio can cut you to the bone without insulting you. I can handle that. We often have diverse viewpoints but he's never insulted me. As a group, we're above average intelligence, there's really no need for personal attacks.

That's fine, but some take it as sport, and that level of acrimony adds nothing to the conversation.

For example, Calabrio can cut you to the bone without insulting you. I can handle that. We often have diverse viewpoints but he's never insulted me. As a group, we're above average intelligence, there's really no need for personal attacks.

Agreed, it was just an opinion, and I didn't feel it was necessary to start with unsolicited nicknames, or explanations of someone's amateur interpretations of constitutional law. Contrary to some, I didn't take it personally and am capable of dishing it out as well. Was that necessary?
Some mass-posters here like to display their clever 'wit', as it were. Gets old and boring. Kind of like the numerous references to using the 'search' function, ad nausaum. Old.
I'll resist now...not easy...thanks, guys. 'lol'-oops, (spelled properly), I slipped.

I just typed a whole bunch of stuff and erased it because I dont want to turn this into a racial thread. I would just like to say from 26 years of experience Im tired of the race "CARD". get the fu<k over it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back