what are they thinking?

jonnieQ

LVC Member
Reaction score
i just want to know who in there rite mind and why would they build these cars so damm complex.no i have to tell you im 44 yrs old and been working on all this screwed up cars for 34 yrs,and im seeing a lot of :s__t that could be avoided as far as spark plugs,efi computer controled everything.you have to be a rocket builder to work on this crap,and most of it is crap,i have cadillac and lincoln both and the designer of them suck.if its not one thing its another,hmmmmmmm,no wonder people buy forigen cars.i wish that the person whom designed these cars would have to maintain them for 5-10 years and replace some of the parts i have had too,wow!! bet they wouldnt design them the way they do .oh well its only going to get worse,so here we go again,.
just my thoughts.....
:shifty:

Last edited:
For what its worth, i know how you feel. ;) Manufacturers like to re invent things that didnt need re inventing and solving problems that were never a problem before! Lol. (rain sensitive wipers, auto headlights etc etc.) I suppose the good thing about computerised engines nowadays is the better economy and reduced emmisions. Personally, id take an 'old school' big block anyday!

thats how i feel,i have friends in gm an ford dealers and they ask themselfs everyday why the big change,thanks for the reply,but i hope a designer finds this.jon

well i guess no designers want to answer this ,,well im not suprised,because there is no answer........just keep making these s--t cars and we will keep making them better ourselfs,,.

Sometimes you wonder if the engine designers, and the body designers ever get together. They definitely work on job security for their service departments.

And just for example. The oil filter on the Lincoln Mark VIII... enough said...

^^^Agreed! Lol. On another note, last year i drove a new UK division GM car and had some trouble; the designers felt the need to re invent the indicator stalk! The nasty stalk was this fancy one touch thing. You touch the bottom to indicate right and the top to indicate left. Could i get it to cancel? Nope! Plus it had an annoying 'beep' rather than the usual quiet click. The only way i could get it to turn off was by turning and hoping it would self cancel. BMW were just as bad with that I DRIVE crap. IMO good design is about making things reliable, long lasting and user friendly. Maybe some of these designers need to get back to basics... (just my 2 1/2 cents!) :)

thats no crap what were they thinking?ever try to change the plugs in a deville in the rear?and a truthful note at that but you all know they wont..why? because they want us not to do the work.stupid :s--ts.woops.!!!

Last edited:
Big engine, transverse mounted... yup i bet its tight! Lol. I was gonna buy a 96' STS that had a blown rear head gasket for cheap. (Luckily someone just beat me to it) But yeah, that engine bay was tight. Heres another lil' story: My wife took her mitsu montero into the dealer for plug and lead change. Guess how much they wanted? $1200!!! I told her to forget it as i would have a go... Well, after removing several pipes and wires and the whole intake manifold! Lol... I got it done. Took about 2 1/2 hours! Moral of my lil' story: The car manufacturers just dont care. My wife used to regularly spend the price of my Mark viii on servicing at the dealer. Not anymore! Lol.

oh dammmmmm,,,see i knew it,i was going to take my m-8 in to have a remote programed,oh hellll no,,95.00 to do it ,well the guy at the dealership told me how to do it,2 min i was done what a rip off..my caddy,has-had a ck engine lite on,no codes but the dealer said they could put it out for 125.00 per hour.i did it in 5 min.they are all screwed up.i just wish the designers would tell me why they do this,.and to think i almost went to work for the ford mfg,plant in ohio..glad i didnt.but i still love my blk on blk 93 m-8.so much power wow..

I dont think just the designers are to blame - its the 'bean counters' and higher management too. I also imagine these guys work under alot of pressure due to the tight time frames car companies work with. I watched a good TV show yesterday which featured the new Merc S class - wow! What a car... But alot to go wrong in the future too! Lol. I mention the Merc because its the car which show cases some of the latest technology which will likely filter down to normal cars over the next few years, so it is quite significant. I like the Mark too! It is reasonably reliable, fast and within my capabilties to fix myself. Hey, and the plug change is easy! Lol.

such is true but if they really talked to each other when they designed these cars and so on,they could,,,design an auto user friendly.it sure would make the tech end of this job a helll of alot easer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back