What a difference red makes (pics)

FreeFaller

USAF LS8
Reaction score
Wow, I just got done painting my calipers red. Man that looks hot! I can't believe I haven't done this on every car I've owned. I think I'll paint the ones on my hoop ride truck just for the heck of it.

Anyway, here's my baby... :L

lssml1.JPG

lssml2.JPG

lssml3.JPG

lssml4.JPG

lssml5.JPG

lssml6.JPG

lssml7.JPG

Lookin good!

I actually used a 3 step anodizing method, came out with a very deep rich red thats very high gloss. My LS is black on black so the bright red just wasn't an option in my opinion, im very happy with how it turned out

i'll try to take some pics today and post them

FreeFaller said:
Wow, I just got done painting my calipers red. Man that looks hot! I can't believe I haven't done this on every car I've owned. I think I'll paint the ones on my hoop ride truck just for the heck of it.

Very nice. Now just some wheels and tires to go with it. What kind of paint did you use? When I worked in the power plants I had access to some indestructible paints.

Dartastic said:
Very nice. Now just some wheels and tires to go with it. What kind of paint did you use? When I worked in the power plants I had access to some indestructible paints.

free like the red,, makes them look like high end brake system.

plan to do mine in blue metallic,, have a silver LS.

Very nice! Red with a white car looks really good. I like the nice touches you made with the V8 and Lincoln emblems.

Dartastic said:

I used Brake Caliper Paint from DupliColor. Worked pretty well. I will probably put another coat on when I change the rotors and pads just to finish the job.

GrayGhost1 said:
Very nice! Red with a white car looks really good. I like the nice touches you made with the V8 and Lincoln emblems.

Yeah, I don't know where I got the idea for the placement of those...I'm just gifted with a sense of style I guess. :N :Beer

Oh and Ken, the B Pillar inserts turned out great. It really looks good in the sunlight. I don't think there has been a person whose seen my car yet that hasn't commented on them.

It does look good...

Good job on the calipers...the red on white looks good. I never really noticed how visible the calipers are behind the wheels. I have a Pearl Blue Metallic '02 LS with the 17" chrome wheels. I'm thinking of doing this on my car after seeing your pics. The only thing being that I would want a different color...probably blue. Anybody have recommendations of what paint I should use? Do you have to take the calipers off the car?

With the Duplicolor system you leave the calipers on. It's a brush on paint so just mask the brakes where you don't want paint and go for it.

As for choosing what color...just take a pic of your car and use the paint program to color the calipers pixel by pixel. That's what I did. Really helped me make up my mind.

I love duplicolor. I tried a few colors and stuck wit red. I need to hit again though brakes get really dirty with all the rain water and puddles down here. Plus it was about 3 years ago that I painted em. so age is a factr too. But you cant beat the product.

since my car is all black, do u guys think i should leave it as is, or should i go red, or maybe a high gloss black (would u even notice it, with the black rims)

itsnotmydaddys said:
since my car is all black, do u guys think i should leave it as is, or should i go red, or maybe a high gloss black (would u even notice it, with the black rims)

With my black car, I did black calipers to give it a nice look behind my chrome wheels. But since your wheels are black, you might have to choose another color if you want them noticed.

i dont understand the whole painted caliper thing, why do you want people to notice your calipers? if anything paint it like a silver or a black if they are rusting or something... n to me if you paint your calipers red Bill, it would be ruining the good thing you got goin... someone explain this to me

LennDawg said:
i dont understand the whole painted caliper thing, why do you want people to notice your calipers? if anything paint it like a silver or a black if they are rusting or something... n to me if you paint your calipers red Bill, it would be ruining the good thing you got goin... someone explain this to me

Its just a preference thing I guess, so some of big brake kits come with different color calipers. Its just something to make your car a little than the other.

im thinking im gonna paint em a gloss black, just to keep up the black.right now theyre like a browish color.

itsnotmydaddys said:
im thinking im gonna paint em a gloss black, just to keep up the black.right now theyre like a browish color.

Im with you. If I get all chrome rims then Im going a high gloss black. If I get black and chrome rims then Im leaving them alone.

Used the Duplicolor brush-on kit also. Red on my black 00 looks good... matches the taillights. I thought it was a nice accent. Did them in an afternoon, taking one wheel off at a time. (Calipers remain on. Just a little taping. No masking.) I believe they only offer yellow, red and blue.

The red calipers on the white car look tight! I think on a black car, it depends on what look you want. If you want a real sporty look then go for the red. If you are looking for a euro sports luxury look then matching the color of the car I think looks better. You want them to be noticed but not standout. Remember its the small things that sometimes get really noticed. It in the details!! I wish there was a way to get either the Lincoln logo or the word Lincoln on them. Now that would really be kewl!!

bill5 said:
Used the Duplicolor brush-on kit also. Red on my black 00 looks good... matches the taillights. I thought it was a nice accent. Did them in an afternoon, taking one wheel off at a time. (Calipers remain on. Just a little taping. No masking.) I believe they only offer yellow, red and blue.

Where can I find this Duplicolor brush-on kit system at and how much do they run usually? Adds another nice little touch. I have a 2002 LSE that is Ivory Parchment and was wondering if red would be a wise color.

FreeFaller said:

hmmm...whats up with that big ass LINCOLN sigh inside the car???? unless you want to recall people that they are sitting in a lincoln not a bmw ....wow :eek2:

Looks good. I did the same to my car last winter. I wanted some red accents on my car to set it off. It does make it look nicer. I even thought about getting some Goodrich Scorcher tires in red and putting an OU plate on the front and making my car an unofficial OU, crimson and cream Mark VIII mobile. Then I snapped out of it and decided that the calipers were enough red for now. The red racing stripes come later, :cool: .

Members online

Back