Wet or Dry

ArabianNight

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend pertaining to wheel studs (get your heads out the gutter lol) was considering placing a lil anti seize on the wheel studs I had such a hard time removing a few lug nuts to inspect the brakes on my LS I just recently bought I guess they been on there for a very long time. So does anyone recommend or use anti seize on there wheel studs or advise against it. Many conflicting arguments all over the web.

I always use copper anti-seize on the studs. Just make sure to clean the lug nuts and studs each removal. You don't want the old compound gumming-up the new application.

Loretta grabs the pillow because they're going on dry. I haven't had any issue getting the lugs off on this car and I come from the rust belt as it looks like you do as well.

The torque specs for your lugnuts are based on unlubricated studs. Any lubricant will decrease the running torque. As a result, if you torque them to the specified value with lubricant you will be applying more preload than if they were torqued to the same value without lubricant. This could damage the studs.

All agree with going unlubricated, Invest in a good torque wrench and you shouldn't have a problem.

GL

The torque specs for your lugnuts are based on unlubricated studs. Any lubricant will decrease the running torque. As a result, if you torque them to the specified value with lubricant you will be applying more preload than if they were torqued to the same value without lubricant. This could damage the studs.

Well then....... That would explain two broken studs....

I change my position, go with clean, dry studs. When I get a chance I'll get out there and dry off everything.

Hmmm well good info thanks was just curious just didn't seem right with all the squealing when removing and replacing the studs thought maybe a lil dap of anti seize on there may help but guess its counter productive.

Hmmm well good info thanks was just curious just didn't seem right with all the squealing when removing and replacing the studs thought maybe a lil dap of anti seize on there may help but guess its counter productive.

Before I used the copper grease I used WD-40 to clean the threads on the stud and lug nut.

cleaning the stud and lugs with WD-40 is ok in my book. It just needs to be dried off. I've done it a few times actually.

cleaning the stud and lugs with WD-40 is ok in my book. It just needs to be dried off. I've done it a few times actually.

Yup, after I give things a liberal spray I use a "paper" shop towel to clean off the crud.

Now, if only I can get motivated to reinstall the lug nuts......

Members online

No members online now.
Back