Weight reduction?

pan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done or thinking about a weight reduction? I'm in the thinking process now because to me it would help alot to drop some of the weight since the aftermarket sucks lol 4000 pounds is rediculous. Haven't quit figured out where the weight is really seeings how the hood fenders deck lid motor and most of the suspension is aluminum "Thank God" if it wasn't it would be like a tank. But just curious and knowing the car will never be worth anything i'm not afraid to try something!!! Still trying to find some untamed horses hidden not giving up yet by no means. When i do i'll just 4.6L the dang thing and be unlimited lol.:eek: Yes i said it!

If Ford had just put the 4.6 DOHC you guys would have so many options it would be ridiculous... but Ford was kind enough to give you guys that damned Jag motor....

Weight reduction is easy, if you don't need it remove it, and if you can't remove it drill holes in it or make it out of something lighter.

Lmao 4.6 would've been great. Not new to the weight reduction game i have a full out drag 96 Camaro. But was thinking more on the lines of where the 4000 pounds comes in at??? I know airbags and front seats is some of it but seeings how 3/4's of the car is aluminum it just doesn't add up.:confused: I have to admit the other day i was almost ashamed of the car " minus the looks which is what i love about it anyway" i barely beat a V6 firefird that smoked lmao... of course it was a manual but still i know there quick for V6's but i expected more from my LS 8. So until i figure out this "JAG bastard" excuse the language, and make some head way on the performance something has to give!

good luck with the 4.6 swap.....

the uni-body is 56% of the weight. add engine, tranie, wheels and you're at 87%. nearly 3300 of 3800.

so - very little weight savings to be had.

Lmao 4.6 would've been great. Not new to the weight reduction game i have a full out drag 96 Camaro. But was thinking more on the lines of where the 4000 pounds comes in at??? I know airbags and front seats is some of it but seeings how 3/4's of the car is aluminum it just doesn't add up.:confused: I have to admit the other day i was almost ashamed of the car " minus the looks which is what i love about it anyway" i barely beat a V6 firefird that smoked lmao... of course it was a manual but still i know there quick for V6's but i expected more from my LS 8. So until i figure out this "JAG bastard" excuse the language, and make some head way on the performance something has to give!

whats done to yours? I have no problem running with bigger cars than V6 Fbodies

ya the ls has a phat ass lol, i looked into weight reduction also, basically unless you want your car to look like a fly swater or have one seat and no glass windows your pretty much boned, make more power and install taller gears, use the weight to plant the launch!

Ford had McLaren build two '02 LSs with the 5.0 version of the 4.6. Greatest change necessary was a new, lower design of intake manifold to clear the hood. They cast the experimental parts from magnesium.
KS

As for the what is done to it... nothing but drilled and slotted rotors right now which helps nothing of power or speed lol.

As for the 4.6 swap just an option of mine maybe even 5.0, but not the point of saving weight for that at all it's the point of aftermarket and power! I mean if it had a 4.6 or 5.0 the weight would not be an issue anyway i could overpower the weight issue.

As for the Gear and using the weight lol. I have a 3.58... so why change that? and as for windows i'm not afraid to make some "Lexan M9000" on the doors and windshields not to forget fiberglass or carbon fiber doors!!! I have no problem off the line i've killed c5 vettes off it, the firebird i got off the line with ease but then he started pulling me at about 60-70 not saying all out he would wini could run him down i know. Also not saying it was stock i don't know but it did look like it not even any wheels or exhaust.

But i do have exhaust in the works soon as muffler arrives! And plan to rip out all the over weight possible starting with the "safety crap"!!! I really don't want to give up on making the 3.9 make power and i know it will not be easy even if i have to make a custom sheetmetal intake and headers at work.;) And yes i know i need the SCT! I'm working on it lol.

spend some time reading past threads on engine swaps - it will help you size up the hill in front of you.

Well what most ppl call a "race car" i still drive daily so... i guess the answer to your ? is no. I mean street legal here is not most places lol. I have no emissions test and we have street cars running 4's in the 1/8 mile so it's hard to say a race car is what i'm looking at building. Now my Camaro is a "Race car" but that's just because no exhaust, windshield wipers, and slicks besides that i have a title and tag which is all that counts here for "street car". I mean my buddies mustang is "Outlaw" or "ORSCA" and pushes 1600h.p. out the backdoor on Turbo boost and alcohol and it's a street car.

from what I've gathered.... the LS can take a swap and be one hell of a race car, but you lose what makes it the LS in the process

Not sure with us replying at the same time if you read my reply to the ? "are you building a race car" if not it's above ^^^ lol.

yeah I saw it. If you are ok with loosing functions of the LS to get power.... you can use the shell to run what ever you want! 460 might even fit with some modification

As for the Gear and using the weight lol. I have a 3.58... so why change that? and as for windows i'm not afraid to make some "Lexan M9000" on the doors and windshields not to forget fiberglass or carbon fiber doors!!! I have no problem off the line i've killed c5 vettes off it, the firebird i got off the line with ease but then he started pulling me at about 60-70 not saying all out he would wini could run him down i know. Also not saying it was stock i don't know but it did look like it not even any wheels or exhaust.

ok.... after thinking a bit about the power and the actually doing something with it. 3.58's on these cars are a small set of gears. 4.10's are like running 3.73s. I would read the thread about swapping an 8.8 into the rear and then pick the set of gears you want to run. Keep your future plans in mind (ie turbos liking lower gears) when selecting the gear ratio.

lol i don't want to shell it just lighten and alot more power. like i said no interested in a swap i know it's possible. i really like the though of 3.9 waxing a 4.6, 5.0, LS1 and so on. I mean if it was to come down to it custom internals and a "direct port" setup will work!!!

well from that stand point.... check you tube. I member on here posted video clips of damn near stock with a 100 shot eating ls1, ls2, and cobras

also, Nitrous, SC, Turbo, Meth, Cams, etc have all been done before. Numbers and results vary and details are some what limited, but its been done just depends on how deep your pockets are.

I have watched the 100 shot videos unless drivers suck it's B.S., cams are nothing without heads, meth i would have to see for myself not to count how long the motor would last!!! As for turbo and SC not impressed with what i've seen. As for nitrous which is the cheapest and most power "imo" needs to be direct port to work correctly so each cyl. is under the same pressure to work at it's best, also a motor needs to be setup internally!!! We run 4 stages on the camaro about 800 h.p. total just on the bottle alone but that's a 706c.i. big block. Try that any stock motor and watch :q:q:q:q fly! lmao

There was a thread i was reading on yesterday but i can't remember what it was on but it had a dyno sheet on it and the numbers from the nitrous was a joke i hope that's why i don't like a one nozzle shot and love direct port. Look at it this way stick your 1 nozzle where ever you like and spray 100 shot then take a direct port setup and spray... the direct port wins on track or dyno plus the motor lasts longer.

All this talk about 4000 pounds, are you talking about the LS? The LS is only 3700 pounds. With a 200 pound driver we are only taking 3900 pounds. 100 pounds is HUGE as you must know when racing. Just my 2 cents.

Members online

Back