We Kept it in the LVC Family!

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A few of you know but most dont.

Jamler3 bought a 2003 Seville STS recently. Unfortunately, he couldnt keep the Cadillac and his Lincoln Mark VIII.

But - instead of sending it off to the used car fairy, we kept this wonderful 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII in the LVC Family and I bought it from Jamler.

vbgarage.php

Interesting note - this color was only produced on 455 1998 Mark VIII's -- so its quite rare.

Here are the stats:

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Midnight Metallic Grey
Cobra R Wheels - Hankook Ventus ST RH06 255/50/17
KVR Performance Drilled Rotors w/Kevlar Pads (Front) Stock rear...
Lincoln Motor Sport - 900 CFM Megameter MAF
Lincoln Motor Sport - Ice Box Cold Air System
Lincoln Motor Sport - Twin XX Exhaust
Lincoln Motor Sport - Polished Stainless Expansion II Mufflers
Lincoln Motor Sport - POWERMAXX Performance Chip
Autolite 764 - Copper Plugs (De-Shrouded)

One thing I am considering is installing this: Any thoughts?

218219118AVIC-D1_big.jpg

The Revolution Goes On — the Latest Navigation Systems from Pioneer
Pioneer's AVIC-D1 is Pioneer's newest navigation system, designed to be easy to use as well as easy on the eyes. The large 6.5-inch display panel is easy to read, the touch panel provides intuitive operation, and the layout delivers user-friendly operation by positioning the basic control keys around the screen for easy reach. The unit is designed to fit into many modern vehicles with a "factory-fit" style, melding unobtrusively into the vehicle dashboard. Of course, the AVIC-D1 provides a full media experience with AM/FM radio, CD, MP3 and WMA, and more. Additionally, the system is ready to deliver detailed traffic information for major cities in conjunction with the XM NavTraffic service and an optional XM Radio tuner. MORE

This system has 2 features im quite interested in - first is NavTraffic, which gives you live traffic detailes alon with the navigation so you can avoid traffic jams, etc...

The second feature is the VDD performance gauges and what they measure:
  • Acceleration: Measures forward or backward G-Force and provides a peak hold indicator
  • Side Acceleration: Measures Lateral G-Force, indicating maximum cornering force, and provides a peak hold indicator
  • Angular Velocity: Measures turn rate
  • Speed: Measures your speed in Miles Per Hour (MPH)
  • Direction: Provides a compass with current direction: N, S, E or W
  • Slope: Indicates the incline or decline of your vehicle
  • Voltage: Keeps tabs on your vehicle’s electrical system, in volts
  • Clock: Displays the time
  • More Info

89180335vehicle%20dynamics%20day.jpg

DSC01335.JPG

Joey, I have the D1 in my LSC, as evidenced below.

It is a great Navigation unit... except for the stuff below... I opted for the XM receiver with the XM Nav Traffic. It's not available in my area, but it works when I go to Phx, Seattle, LA, etc.

First, the Navigations stuff:

Pioneer royally crippled the navigation functions. Unlike the N1 in my 1/2 Chevy, the D1 will not let you change navigation waypoints, computea new route, etc without the vehicle being stopped.

I know, some of you stereo buffs will say "Yeah? All you gotta do it ground the parking brake wire". Wrong. The Unit is programmed in such a fashion that if the parking brake is"applied" and the vehicle is physically moving (It knows this based on input form the GPS receiver and the Speed sensor), it will pop up an error message.

The actual navigation is accurate to very accurate. I have only had it not find an address twice, and that was in SLC, Utah, where the Mormons have the goofiest numbering system around, IMHO. Settle down, Mormons. I'm not bashing you.

The XM Nav Traffic is nice, however, even that is crippled. T

here is a screen that will show you incidents in your area, however, if there are more incidents than the screenc an display (I think it's 4, IIRC), you will not be able to scroll down to the incidents not displayed, because, once again, the functions are grayed out, and not available whne the vehicle is moving.

I think this is a major screw-up on Pioneer's design. What am I supposed to do, pull over on the side of the freeway to check the incidents in my area, only to be rear-ended by some retard? That is not good thinking, Pioneer! SOmeone, somewhere will eventually sue you if that happens.

_MG_0122 (Small).JPG

Disabled Features

Maybe these features are disabled during actual driving so that people are not trying to use the device when they should have their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road.

How are the sound characteristics? Do you have the VDD system? This can also be connected to an optional rear view camera, which i thought was neat.

Joey!CONGRADULATIONS on the new ride So your spliting yourself in half and bringing both cars right!! :Beer

LOOKIN GOOD JOEY!!! Always like to keep the good ones in "The Family"

I've got a bunch of photos of that car and the STS together with the Sun setting behind.
Left my digital camera battery charger down @ the Long Beach Island Shore House!
My brother is bringin it up this Saturday!

Sorry I'll miss the meet out there Saturday, but my best friends B-Day is 8/13...
SO IT GOES... ENJOY THE PARTY... HAVE A DRINK ON JC!!

P.S. I dearly miss the handling of those 17x9 Cobra R's with the 255/50s

Watch for posts of a BADASS STS with 18x9 Chromies and 255/45's

Congratulations, Joey! That car is awesome. How does it compare drive-wise with your gen 1? I realize it has a few mods, too.

bufordtpisser said:
Maybe these features are disabled during actual driving so that people are not trying to use the device when they should have their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road.

Yes sir. But If I get into a wreck because I was a t00l and didn't know to keep my eyes on the road, it should me MY RESPONSIBILITY. I don't need some corporation telling me what I can do in my vehicle. This is one of the reasons the next FOUR Nav Units in the Company's Fleet will have Eclipse units by Fujitsu Ten in them. As soo n as that happens, Pioneer will receive a copy of the receipt with a reason why I purchased the Eclipses instead of D1's.

Joey said:
How are the sound characteristics? Do you have the VDD system? This can also be connected to an optional rear view camera, which i thought was neat.

Sound characteristics are.. well. It plays sounds. I am not in a position to tell you how it is. I mostly listen to the radio, CD's, and Audio books that I've ripped and compiled in MP3 format CD's, just to have some backround noise and to break the monotony. I dont even have a sub installed.

The basic VDD is built in. Pioneer has an external module that measures a lot more, but I know it is not compatible with the N1, and I do not know if it is compatible with the D1.

You grow tired of the VDD after a while. I haven't really played with it in the LSC, because I gre tired of it on the unit in the Chevy. I think it's a neat little feature, and it does work really well though.

It does support a rear camera, but I didnt see a point of having one installed on a car. I am pondering one for the 1/2 ton thougjh.

Frogman said:
It does support a rear camera, but I didnt see a point of having one installed on a car.

SO I can see the look on the face of the driver of the car I just waxed....

:V

Frogman said:
Sound characteristics are.. well. It plays sounds. I am not in a position to tell you how it is. I mostly listen to the radio, CD's, and Audio books that I've ripped and compiled in MP3 format CD's, just to have some backround noise and to break the monotony. I dont even have a sub installed.

Ive always has stock audio - so anything is an improvement. I jsut want to further annoy my neighbors with the nice loud music as well as the deep growl of the exhaust.

Joey, if I may ask, what size tires are those, and are those Cobra 5x4 bolt pattern wheels? Or are they the 4.25 mark pattern?

I am shopping for cobra wheels with the cobra bolt pattern, (going after the 13" brakes, and dont want to re-drill rotors.) and those wheels/tires in the pic look really nice.

Lincolnmotorsport SVT Cobra R Wheels - Hankook Ventus ST RH06 255/50/17

Joeychgo said:
A few of you know but most dont.

Jamler3 bought a 2003 Seville STS recently. Unfortunately, he couldnt keep the Cadillac and his Lincoln Mark VIII.

But - instead of sending it off to the used car fairy, we kept this wonderful 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII in the LVC Family and I bought it from Jamler.

vbgarage.php

Interesting note - this color was only produced on 455 1998 Mark VIII's -- so its quite rare.

Here are the stats:

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Midnight Metallic Grey
Cobra R Wheels - Hankook Ventus ST RH06 255/50/17
KVR Performance Drilled Rotors w/Kevlar Pads (Front) Stock rear...
Lincoln Motor Sport - 900 CFM Megameter MAF
Lincoln Motor Sport - Ice Box Cold Air System
Lincoln Motor Sport - Twin XX Exhaust
Lincoln Motor Sport - Polished Stainless Expansion II Mufflers
Lincoln Motor Sport - POWERMAXX Performance Chip
Autolite 764 - Copper Plugs (De-Shrouded)

One thing I am considering is installing this: Any thoughts?

218219118AVIC-D1_big.jpg

The Revolution Goes On — the Latest Navigation Systems from Pioneer
Pioneer's AVIC-D1 is Pioneer's newest navigation system, designed to be easy to use as well as easy on the eyes. The large 6.5-inch display panel is easy to read, the touch panel provides intuitive operation, and the layout delivers user-friendly operation by positioning the basic control keys around the screen for easy reach. The unit is designed to fit into many modern vehicles with a "factory-fit" style, melding unobtrusively into the vehicle dashboard. Of course, the AVIC-D1 provides a full media experience with AM/FM radio, CD, MP3 and WMA, and more. Additionally, the system is ready to deliver detailed traffic information for major cities in conjunction with the XM NavTraffic service and an optional XM Radio tuner. MORE

This system has 2 features im quite interested in - first is NavTraffic, which gives you live traffic detailes alon with the navigation so you can avoid traffic jams, etc...

The second feature is the VDD performance gauges and what they measure:
  • Acceleration: Measures forward or backward G-Force and provides a peak hold indicator
  • Side Acceleration: Measures Lateral G-Force, indicating maximum cornering force, and provides a peak hold indicator
  • Angular Velocity: Measures turn rate
  • Speed: Measures your speed in Miles Per Hour (MPH)
  • Direction: Provides a compass with current direction: N, S, E or W
  • Slope: Indicates the incline or decline of your vehicle
  • Voltage: Keeps tabs on your vehicle’s electrical system, in volts
  • Clock: Displays the time
  • More Info
DAYUM! Had I known Jamler wanted to sell it I would have jumped on it! That is one sweet ride! Joey good catch!

GrayGhost1 said:
DAYUM! Had I known Jamler wanted to sell it I would have jumped on it! That is one sweet ride! Joey good catch!

It pays to be the Godfather of LVC :D

I like the car Joey. I thoguht about putting some kind of navigation unit in my car like that pioneer. But then I realized I'd be much better served if I put a computer in the car witha touchscreen monitor in the dash. That way I can have mostly unlimited amounts of space for music without having to use cd's, and I could still get radio, and I can use all kinds of functions on the internet. If you guys ever get a post from me that ends in a big mish mash of letters, you'll know that I was posting while driving! haha. Anyways, with that kinda system you can also seamlessly add bluetooth capability to the car and have one of those programs that monitors all of the cars systems right at your fingertips! Plus it wouldn't cost that much more money.

Ive thought about this myself - and I would be especially interested if it could be tied into the cars various systems - but I havent seen such a unit anywhere

Well, I own the perfect computer, and I already ordered a 7.5" lcd touchscreen monitor. Other than taht, it's just finding the programs to do everything else. This guy is from Ga too, check out his car.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11382_7-6218002-3.html?tag=smgif
I'm trying to find a link to various programs that can monitor car systems on a pc. I'll post the links when I find them.

These are excellent computers for use in a car by the way. I know a lot of people just use motherboard without a case in the car, but I think that's a horrible idea. These are great because they are so small, and they have just enough power and memory to run what you need in a car, but not too much.

Members online

No members online now.
Back