Water in trunk issue.... possibly solved it ?

MysticMac

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
After having a tiny rain storm here in Vancouver I noticed condensation in my trunk and actual water on the right side under the tail light housing and under the module in the trunk near the gas tank lid. The module it self was pretty dry but still not good to be near water of course. I cleaned it all out and dryed it. I figured it was wet and damp in there because I had removed a drain plug and lost it. So there has basically been a hole in the bottom of the spare tire well, I know thats not where the water was coming from. I found a reply on a random forum about a guy having the same exact issue. Turns out it was his seal around the tail light housing it self. Is there a part number for this? Or can I just use silicone? I will be removing the wire harness cover and inspecting all wires and junction boxes/fuse box for corrosion before starting up again. Also,could it be leaking from the top of my trunk? is there a seal there? I do not have a moon roof.

If anyone has some insite on it let me know.

Thanks

well there could be many reasons that it could leak, the seal may be off a bit in only one area, the seal could be damaged in only one area, the metal lip couple be bent and not making full contact on the leaking side... or the problem could be something completely different.

when faced with a problem like this, my preferred method of figuring it out is to get inside the trunk with it shut and a flash light while somebody else uses a water hose to spray everything unit the leak is found.

thanks bro. I will be doing that tonight.. We have a super heavy down pour right now. Im going to have a "smoke" with the seats down and a flash light looking for drops lol. I have a bunch of dyna mat type material so once i figure where its coming from im wrapping the entire trunk and lid

well there could be many reasons that it could leak, the seal may be off a bit in only one area, the seal could be damaged in only one area, the metal lip couple be bent and not making full contact on the leaking side... or the problem could be something completely different.

when faced with a problem like this, my preferred method of figuring it out is to get inside the trunk with it shut and a flash light while somebody else uses a water hose to spray everything unit the leak is found.

Ugh, I gotta get back to trying this again on my 04 LSE, still have the problem, couldn't locate it the method you described above.
Will have another go at it, leaks same place as the OP's, right side directly underneath battery is where it pools. Never though about checking the tail lamp. Will do also. Rusting out my trunk dammit.

Was thinking of waiting till night time and having someone run a flashlight around the shut trunk lid, see if I could spot light coming in while locked inside the trunk.

take the trunk panels out the sunroof drain tube slides into a rubber grommet they pull out and fills trunk with water. i have 06 LS8 and just spent a boat load of money dealing with multiple water intrusion problems. and i did the labor myself. body wire harness, pcm, and then changed the coil on plugs, because a bad coil can damage your pcm

After having a tiny rain storm here in Vancouver I noticed condensation in my trunk and actual water on the right side under the tail light housing and under the module in the trunk near the gas tank lid.

I haven't had an LS since March but I live in Portland and recently found my BMW's Spare Tire Well and Battery Well had water in them following those heavy rains we had a while back. Turned out to be my Tail Lights. They had become delaminated and allowed water in the Trunk.

"when faced with a problem like this, my preferred method of figuring it out is to get inside the trunk with it shut and a flash light while somebody else uses a water hose to spray everything unit the leak is found."

Have they let you out yet Loud... or are you still locked in there? :)

... and that glow in the dark green thingy pops the trunk from the inside.

You guys make a good point with respect to the "sunroof drain tube", however there is a huge hump for water to get over to end up directly below the battery tray.

I'm going to have to revisit and get this figured out. Can't be losing my battery through the bottom of the trunk while doing 70+mph

I'll have to take everything apart properly and trace it down, it's definitely coming in or should say, settling directly below the battery tray.

Hey guys.. anyone have the part number for a 2005 rear lid seal? the big rubber seal that goes around the trunk? I cant find a motorcraft anywhere online.

Quote Big Rig:

"... and that glow in the dark green thingy pops the trunk from the inside."

Not sure I want to touch that BR. :)

Before anyone gets carried away with any kind of seal... remember that the trunk lid on the LS is made of aluminum... and twists easily if not closed with hand pressure in the center of the trunk lid. It may just take a slight "twist" of the arms to get a flat seal on the trunk lid. Loosening bolts and readjusting fitment may also work.

I guess my point is... with closing the trunk from the left rear or right rear quarter side over many years,,, something is bound to "tweak".

Members online

No members online now.
Back