Water in 2001 LS headlamp

jcavz24x

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
What do I need to do to prevent my headlamp from allowing water into it? Get a new one or some kind of seal?

Chris

jcavz24x said:
What do I need to do to prevent my headlamp from allowing water into it? Get a new one or some kind of seal?

Chris
Very common issue - I bet your headlamps are sealed with 'grey' sealant - there is a TSB to have the dealer re-seal it, and if that doesn't work then replace it with newer ones that use a different type of sealant (black).

The good news is that with 'grey' sealent you can do a couple of different mods on your headlamps - like remove the amber corner lenes or add 'angel halo' rings. Once sealed with the 'black' sealant you can't get them apart.

The way I re-sealed my headlamps (a couple of times now) after mods - put them in a oven for 10mins at 250 degrees (softens the glue), then squeeze all around the edges. Once cool I add a bead of sealent around it.

flaballaz04 said:
Yeah man i had the same problem and i just took it to the dealer and they fixed it.

Yeah the dealer just replaced it with a headlight that had the correct sealant in it. Replacement headlights from the dealer on the 2000-2002 LS's are replaced with the newer style headlights that have a "black" glue unlike that of the previous years. Those headlights had a "grey" glue and was susceptible to breaking down due to the heat the headlight and engine compartment generated. If your car is out of warranty you can fix the headlight yourself and save a ton of money.

1. Take out headlight and bulbs
2. Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees
3. Take three metal clips off bottom of headlight
4. Place headlight in oven for 5-7 minutes
5. Using leather gloves take headlight out of oven and press around the headlight that meets the clear part. You should hear "squishing" of the grey glue which means you are spreading the glue around insided the joined areas.
6. After the headlight cools down, take some high-heat black RTV silicone and place a bead all around the headlight where the black and clear parts of the headlight meet.
7. Spread the silicone around the seam with your finger to "work in" the silicone in the seam.
8. Allow silicone to dry according to the directions and replace headlight

This should solve about 99% of your problem. If the fogging continues this means you have a small hole or opening in the body of the headlight. Also, remember that you can not do this procedure with any headlight that has the "black" glue.

Hope this helps!

Ken

Question about the second sealent..... After you re-heat and squeeze them back together.. Ya'll are talking about a second sealent to help keep it closed... What/which sealent should be used so that you can RE-OPEN the headlights again? Don't want to put anything that has to be cooked to 600 degrees like some I've seen. Just something to keep moisture and water out and keep the headlights together, but allow for opening agin.

Second.... On the back of my headlights, there are two little ports that have a "plug" over them.. Don't have my camera, so I couldn't take a picture of them, but I'm sure GrayGhost1 or Quik_LS kows what I'm talking about... What are these ports for? You think this could be the cause for some to fogging if the person is missing them?? One of my headlights have them, the other headlight doesnt... But I don't remember which one, i'll check when I take them off again cause one of my lights are starting to fog up again.

I used a silicon sealent good for 500 degrees - it never really gets hard. I recently upgraded from super bright LED halos to CCFL halos and I was able to use the same steps to take them apart again - no problem. Ken can probably answer these deeper since his does this as part of his LSKoncept business....

good question on the ports - they look like presure equalizers or something - just a rubber tube on them - I am assuming it allows the air in the lamp to expand and contract without breaking the lamp seal. Makes sense that it would allow moisture in if you're missing one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back