Was there any LS V8 that took 9 quarts of oil?

Barwick

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I had the engine replaced on this piece, and the guy who did the motor said "I had to put 9 quarts of oil in it to get it into the proper oil level". This didn't make sense to me, because the manual says to put in 6 quarts.

Any ideas?

Yes, you just got taken for 3 quarts.

I had a place do that to me once, but I looked at the bill and they charged me for 3 quarts of oil as the labor charge.

just make damn sure it's not overfilled. that's a quick way to destroy an engine. ls w/filter is typically 6.5...I would imagine on a new motor MAYBE a little more since the lines/passages/etc would be empty

Yes, you just got taken for 3 quarts.

I had a place do that to me once, but I looked at the bill and they charged me for 3 quarts of oil as the labor charge.

No, this was the guy who replaced the whole motor... I think this piece doesn't have the right dipstick or dipstick tube, something's wrong with this thing...

You've got a big problem if he really put 9 quarts in. You could blow a gasket!

I would be out there draining that.

Yeah, if he really put 9 qts in the crankcase, your engine will be toast in no time. With that much oil, the crank will almost certainly whip it to a lovely froth, which means the oil pump will start sucking air, and your engine will die of oil starvation.

The 2nd Gen LSes, with the oil coolers and VVT, take ~6.5 qts, but the 1st gens only take ~6 qts. Either way, 9 qts is way too much.

Beamer's right drain it and refill it yourself.

One thing that occurs to me, though no respectable mechanic would do it, is that he might have filled it with the engine running. In that case, he could have put 9qts in the engine, as a goodly portion of it would be up in the valvetrain...

you have to run the car after putting 6qts in to get it pumping and to fill the oil filter.then topping it off with a half qt.

it's already been taken care of... took it to my oil change place and had them drain and refill it as soon as I got out of work. So it had 9 qts in it for a few miles, seems fine, and it's back to 6 qts, plus 1 qt of lucas.

Was he trying to get it up to the top of the dipstick or something? :D

... in on post of future engine issues.

Maybe if I drove it for four hours and 250 miles immediately... but driving it home from the shop, plus with Lucas in it, there's going to be sufficient oil in that thing in all spots, I'd guarantee it.

you have to run the car after putting 6qts in to get it pumping and to fill the oil filter.then topping it off with a half qt.
Or do what I do: fill the oil filter when you change the oil. It'd be better if the oil filter mounted vertically instead of horizontally, but I don't lose much doing it this way, and it's less time that the oil system is filling itself instead of circulating oil.

Or do what I do: fill the oil filter when you change the oil. It'd be better if the oil filter mounted vertically instead of horizontally, but I don't lose much doing it this way, and it's less time that the oil system is filling itself instead of circulating oil.

What he said.

Bit of a pain since it's horizontal, but it's do-able, if even only a quarter to half way filled.

That shouldn't be a substitute for cranking your engine before topping off the fluids. It does help, however, with the dry start.

I have a quick question on this topic, I just bought a 2000 LS V6, and it doesn't have an owners manual. What grade does it take, and how many quarts with a filter change? Thanks!

I have a quick question on this topic, I just bought a 2000 LS V6, and it doesn't have an owners manual. What grade does it take, and how many quarts with a filter change? Thanks!

From page 246 the 2001 owner's manual:

Engine oil (includes filter change)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil

3.0L-4V V6 engine

6.5L (6.9 quarts)

What he said.

Bit of a pain since it's horizontal, but it's do-able, if even only a quarter to half way filled.

For horizontal filters like ours, I find it more effective and a bit less messy to fill the oil filter with oil..turn it around and around on its side (holding it over the drain pan) in order to fully soak the internal filter element, then pour out the majority of it/the amount that would spill out when turned on its side. Then spin in onto the car/tighten it.

This completely eliminates those 2-4 seconds of the oil pressure warning light being illuminated that usually occurs right after an oil/filter change.

Members online

Back