want to paint trunk lid, advise?

normohl

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i have a 98 mark viii, i got it for a grand and its blk on blk, repainted poorly, the paint on every seam is flaking and the whole front bumpers new paint is almost all gone (they used the wrong paint obviously)

anyways there is one big 6x9 sun spot on the trunk lid and i was wondering how hard could it be to paint? i have another car to drive, a garage, a compressor, and most tools but i own no painting equipment. (aside from rattle cans)

i have searched and there is a ton of info out there, but its mostly generic.

what paint gun should i use?
what kind of paint and where should I get it?
should I strip it down to bare metal or what? (my first non plastic paint job)
how many coats? time between coats?
primer (if i go to bare metal?)
sand paper grits?

I am willing to buy all the tools that I need, I just hate the huge spot on my trunk lid! thanks.

what gun to use?

atd makes a decent budget gun $100 I use sata professionally $700

what kind of paint and where should I get it?

a local paint shop or napa can help you out. I would stay local and not order off the internet cause they will be able to answer alot of your questions.

should I strip it down to bare metal or what? (my first non plastic paint job)

depends on how bad it is...you have to at least feather what is peeling if it will. strip it if it won't

how many coats? time between coats?

depends on what material you use

primer (if i go to bare metal?)

you should prime it even if you don't break thru-which you will. There is also an etching primer(pre-primer) to treat any bare metal before you prime it.

sand paper grits?
normally 220da for primer 320block, then 400da to seal or 500-600 paint directly to primer if there are no break thru's.

I am willing to buy all the tools that I need, I just hate the huge spot on my trunk lid! thanks.

this is only very general info to give you an idea and a place to start

Been there and done that. I pretty much explained in detail what I used to do this and if you take your time, it will look good and last. Trunk lid would be simple to do and I could do it for less than $30 easy.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=58617&highlight=Bumper+cover&page=2

Bumper cover write up below. No, it's not professional but when I got done with it, people thought I had taken it and had it painted. It's all about doing the prep right and taking your time. Let the paint cure out before coming back at it with the finishing touches and you'll have a lot of money left over in your pocket and a good looking car.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=59062&highlight=Bumper+cover

What are the CFM specs on your compressor? If it can run a decent HVLP gun, go that route. If not, rattlecan the bastard and slap it back on there...

be ghetto...take it to macco, flat black it then tint the windows....i always loved that look.

as long as you prep it well the paint aint half bad..thats coming from someone that got there 400 dollor intergrated clearcoat paint job.

Members online

No members online now.
Back