Vortech S-trim VS stall speed

KStromberg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a converter picked out for Big Red but I'm trying to figure out what stall to go with. Lonnie tells me 3600ish, Burbank LSC whose car was no slouch said no less than 4000. Now, this is only a weekend driver, track car so mpg are of no concern to me. I have one goal, and that is to run 11s on the stock motor at 8 psi. Any Centrifugal guys have any input?

Good luck. I don't know any MK8 that has done 11's n/a.

That said, I would say around 4000 is going to be about ideal.

I would say that's too nice of a car to be a track car... but....
Depending on the tire/traction and the gear I would look at the 3600, it would be more friendly on the street anyway. 4K is like a hammer and if you have slicks or DR's you will find the weakest link very quickly.
If I remember right you have meth on that car which will help, the only concern I would have with the lower stall is the rpm dropping below the powerband on launch and dragging the motor into detonation. On stock pistons and bottom end that could end badly.

^^^^Wat he said,4000 would def find the weakest link in your car after some launches on slicks.

How far can you go powerwise with the stock IRS? I can't imagine even with a stall that my car is going to make enough torque to twist axles. We're talking prolly less than 400rwtq when all said and done. I'm all ears though. What about if I upgrade the halfshafts? Like 28 spline hardened shafts?

I know a couple of the 5 speed cars have snapped the stub shafts off.
I don't think it takes much to break them, going into the 11 range will probably require an upgrade to at least 31 spline center section and shafts if you plan on running DR's or slicks.
Again, just my opinion. The next thing to go would be the intermediate shaft in the trans.

5 speed cars break the IRS even at stock terminator power levels.
martin's 5 speed 2nd gen broke an axle with an NA 4.6 even. less than 300 whp there prolly.

the auto is much nicer to things. no heavy shock at launch. no major shock every time you shift.
i dont see a high stall vortech at 400 whp making a habit of broken axles.

I'm running the same as Burbank. A Dirty Dog from Alan 4200 stall. I Like it and it is still fun to drive on the street. Your stock rear end axles will do fine.

5 speed cars break the IRS even at stock terminator power levels.
martin's 5 speed 2nd gen broke an axle with an NA 4.6 even. less than 300 whp there prolly.

the auto is much nicer to things. no heavy shock at launch. no major shock every time you shift.
i dont see a high stall vortech at 400 whp making a habit of broken axles.

Martin's car broke axels because of a center section issue.
Like JA said, a 4k launch @ 400hp with stickie tires, it will find the weak link in time.

Go with what Lonnie is saying for a street car, that car is too nice to tear it apart at the track.

I know a couple of the 5 speed cars have snapped the stub shafts off.
I don't think it takes much to break them, going into the 11 range will probably require an upgrade to at least 31 spline center section and shafts if you plan on running DR's or slicks.
Again, just my opinion. The next thing to go would be the intermediate shaft in the trans.

Intermediate shaft for sure while the trans out.

I think 4200 would be a good target. The stall only counts at the launch, after that you're looking at lockup capability and the amount of slippage allowed in the tune.

More stall equals more torque multiplication which means quicker sixty foot times.

Launch with as much rpms you can hold with the brakes. Less "shock" that way since you're pre-loading the drivetrain.

no major shock every time you shift.

This is the only thing that bothers me more at this point. The JMOD is done WILD on this car and the line pressure in the tune I think is WAY too high. The dash creaks at the 1-2 shift at light throttle. But then again, once I'm moving, maybe that doesn't matter as much. I was shifting at 7000 rpms with Frosty on the Hoosiers playdoh tires and 1-2 shift hit like a ton of bricks. One thing I can say for certain just from experience is that I will never run hoosier qt pros on Big Red unless the axles are upgraded. Those stickies are no joke.

Sounds like a 4200 stall it is. ;) Driller, you justified that decision enough for me. Thanks. :)

If you haven't done it already sub frame reinforcing will also benefit you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back