Violent shake under braking

Cheez_94

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Before anyone flames me, yes I did a search. The shake feels like it is from the drivers side primarily

The strut rod bushings have been changed on both ends.

The ball joints appear to be fine (C clamp/mongo channel lock test)

The lower control arm bushings appear to be fine

The upper bushings have very, very slight movement

The outer tie rod end on the drivers side is a little loose but I would think that would be enough to cause shaking this violent.

The rotors are within tollerance for run-out

Thanks for any help with this in advance

Sounds like they have been turned once or twice. If so, most likely they are warped from wearing thin and heat. Get you some new rotors for the front. I think that's all you need. Could also be hub bearings too or the ball joints or strut rod bushings.

The outer tie rod end on the drivers side is a little loose but I would think that would be enough to cause shaking this violent.

All of the above combined will cause violent shake, check hub bearings. I'd replace all loose and turn/replace rotors.

sounds like rotors. I had the same prob. Those things are way to small for a car this big. They will warp right after having them turned if you slam the brakes to hard.

Before anyone flames me, yes I did a search. The shake feels like it is from the drivers side primarily

The strut rod bushings have been changed on both ends.

The ball joints appear to be fine (C clamp/mongo channel lock test)

The lower control arm bushings appear to be fine

I have the exact same problem with mine. I found out though my drivers wheel is bent, sure that is contributing to the problem.

All of the above combined will cause violent shake, check hub bearings. I'd replace all loose and turn/replace rotors.

Hub bearings feel fine, replaced the tie rods and it helped alot. Even though the rotors are w/i tollerance for run-out I'll probably just replace them.

Damn it was hoping I could get them to last until I had all the $ and parts for the Cobra brakes/hub swap

The Rotors still have quite a bit of meat on them just over 1.200 maybe I'll try turning them first. The pads have 20K+ left on them

I was planning on installing the upper poly bushings from TCCoA when I installed the cobra brakes anyway.

Ford says discard at .974, And the runout limit is .003. Not much runout allowed at all. But they are right that once they warp they are done. Turning them is only a bandaid, sorry.

Sounds like they have been turned once or twice. If so, most likely they are warped from wearing thin and heat. Get you some new rotors for the front. I think that's all you need. Could also be hub bearings too or the ball joints or strut rod bushings.

thats a nice looking ride brother

Members online

No members online now.
Back