Video: 94 Mark VIII vs 97 Park Ave Ultra

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I got a camera, so I figured I'd race my friend in his 97 Park Ave Ultra and record it. His car is 100% stock. Mine just has the mufflers and intake resonators removed, and some AR94 plugs for nitrous but it was agreed I wouldn't spray this time. It was also agreed the camera guy would be in my car and that I had a full tank.

Without the camera guy it was dead even until we shifted at which point I walked him pretty good. Keep in mind we're racing at 5500' ASL, and up a hill.

Anyway watch what happens when the instant torque of a blower meets the high end of the dohc 4.6:

http://www.500caddy.us/vids/MVP.wmv

wow that supercharger is quiet. maybe i should make a vid of my own. hahahahhaa

The Buick has the advantage since it's blown and it's high elevation. Those cars have a lot of torque but no top end stock. With a pulley and some bolt ons they can be fast though...

I live over a mile above sea level as well man. So I know what your talking about. BUT, your also talking with some guys who do have a bit faster cars than that.

SOOOOOO.....it does seem a bit porky to some.

No big deal.

Mike

It's stock so of course it's not gonna be the quickest thing on the road...

And if you think the Park Ave blower is quiet now you should've heard it with the engine cover on it, well actually you couldn't hear it at all.

But as for the people with their uberfast cars I'd love to invite them to come up and race my Cad500 powered Apollo when the track opens up. :)

MediumD said:
It's stock so of course it's not gonna be the quickest thing on the road...

And if you think the Park Ave blower is quiet now you should've heard it with the engine cover on it, well actually you couldn't hear it at all.

But as for the people with their uberfast cars I'd love to invite them to come up and race my Cad500 powered Apollo when the track opens up. :)

Let me finish my Stroker Terminator/T56 swap and I'll be there.

94m5 said:
I live over a mile above sea level as well man. So I know what your talking about. BUT, your also talking with some guys who do have a bit faster cars than that.

Keep in mind the Buick is basically unaffected by altitude. It's going to pressurize the intake air to 10 psi (or whatever) whether it's at sea level or 5500 feet above. Our naturally-aspirated engines just have to make do with whatever the atmospheric pressure happens to be.

segxr7 said:
Keep in mind the Buick is basically unaffected by altitude. It's going to pressurize the intake air to 10 psi (or whatever) whether it's at sea level or 5500 feet above. Our naturally-aspirated engines just have to make do with whatever the atmospheric pressure happens to be.

not true. i saw this myslef with turbo cars and a manual boost controller. 10 psi at 3000 feet worked out to 12 psi at sea level. the blower will still pressurize the intake but it is lower because its being fed lower density air to begin with.

vr4 said:
not true. i saw this myslef with turbo cars and a manual boost controller. 10 psi at 3000 feet worked out to 12 psi at sea level. the blower will still pressurize the intake but it is lower because its being fed lower density air to begin with.

If the turbo is small and you crank up the boost to the point that it's maxed out at sea level, then you're right, you won't get that same level at higher elevations. It just can't work any harder to supply that additional boost. It's kinda if you were to raise your speed limiter from 130 to 200 mph-- it doesn't mean the car will actually hit 200.

In the case of stock-ish boost levels, the turbo/supercharger is almost always capable of delivering full boost regardless of altitude. It just ends up bleeding off more air at lower altitudes.

segxr7 said:
If the turbo is small and you crank up the boost to the point that it's maxed out at sea level, then you're right, you won't get that same level at higher elevations. It just can't work any harder to supply that additional boost. It's kinda if you were to raise your speed limiter from 130 to 200 mph-- it doesn't mean the car will actually hit 200.

In the case of stock-ish boost levels, the turbo/supercharger is almost always capable of delivering full boost regardless of altitude. It just ends up bleeding off more air at lower altitudes.

this was a B16G on a 1G dsm. i wont argue with your theories since i saw it myself on my friends car AND my own VR4 when i went to the crater (10k ft) 13 psi at sea level. 9.6 at the crater. dont be telling me my turbos were too small. they were capable of holding 23 psi to redline on that car.

Well I can't comment on your specific setup. But I owned a turbo Thunderbird for 3 years, and it had a manual boost controller set to 17 psi. It got 17 psi at just above sea level, and it got 17 psi at 5000+ feet.

Obviously something was different in your experiences, but *generally* speaking, a super/turbocharger is capable of making far more boost than is actually used. Manual boost controllers and wastegate actuators both almost always use spring-loaded valves that the intake air forces open at a given pressure. The spring tension doesn't change with altitude, so it takes the same air pressure to push the valve open no matter where you are.

new to the sc game (MR2, stop laughing lol) dont know sh*t so im just throwing this out there, but vr4 said he droped ...... psi at 10k ft and segxr7 said no diff in elev/psi at 5k ft, maby vr4 noticed the drop due to twice the elev?

segxr7, turbo? v6, v8, sohc, or dohc? :D

web size erics new eng 57.jpg

web size erics new eng 59.jpg

chickenviii said:
new to the sc game (MR2, stop laughing lol) dont know sh*t so im just throwing this out there, but vr4 said he droped ...... psi at 10k ft and segxr7 said no diff in elev/psi at 5k ft, maby vr4 noticed the drop due to twice the elev?

segxr7, turbo? v6, v8, sohc, or dohc? :D

im thinking turbo 4 from back in the day.

for the setups i referenced. DSM, B16g, 550s, AFC, ITC, full supporting mods and a joeP MBC.

vr4...DR650s (modified stock turbos), sbc-id, stillen downpipe, no cats.

I watched a race between a supercharged Rivera and a 96 Mark VIII. The Rivera had the Mark off the line but the Rivera got passed right around 65-70 mph (I was in the Rivera) and the Mark pulled away from there. It was really a lot closer than I would have thought.

Members online

No members online now.
Back