VCG Prep

Lincoln LS

1. nghtshd88

nghtshd88 Well-Known LVC Member

Two of my new coils have oil on them so I need to change the passenger VCG. Currently $23 on rockauto for the Felpro set.

Hopefully permatex is decent enough for the sealant points? Have some left over but they have some pretty bad reviews..

Is it recommended to use the Motocraft metal prep to clean the surfaces or can I just use something like rubbing alcohol?

My 04 leaked on me either because of the permatex or the surface wasnt clean enough.

2. 04_Sport_LS

04_Sport_LS Dedicated LVC Member

You could use steel wool and PB Blaster to clean up the surfaces. Then soak a rag with Brake Kleen to remove the residue.

I used Permatex copper 35k ago with no issues yet. Just remember you need something "quick dry" if you want to be back on the road in a couple hours... But that means you'll have to work fast before it sets.

When I did mine it was colder, so I let the Permatex sit overnight to cure fully.

3. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

It really shouldn't require steel wool. You don't want to scratch the surface. That will leak. It should clean up pretty easy with a rag. (Some brake parts cleaner sprayed on the rag helps.) Avoid getting any chemicals in the valve area, and keep checking for any debris in that area. It might block oil passages or cause other problems. A big problem is flakes off the split loom covering the wiring harnesses. It's all very brittle on mine at this point and breaks off when you move the wiring.
    I used a plastic scraper on the spots with the RTV to get that off.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. 04_Sport_LS

Who would want to steal wool??? :D Seriously though... the super fine 0000 stuff won't even put a polish on the metal.

5. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Very good point! - corrected, thanks.

6. 04_Sport_LS

Smat fones r wunderfil ernt thay :rolleyes: