VCG Prep

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Two of my new coils have oil on them so I need to change the passenger VCG. Currently $23 on rockauto for the Felpro set.

Hopefully permatex is decent enough for the sealant points? Have some left over but they have some pretty bad reviews..

Is it recommended to use the Motocraft metal prep to clean the surfaces or can I just use something like rubbing alcohol?

My 04 leaked on me either because of the permatex or the surface wasnt clean enough.

You could use steel wool and PB Blaster to clean up the surfaces. Then soak a rag with Brake Kleen to remove the residue.

I used Permatex copper 35k ago with no issues yet. Just remember you need something "quick dry" if you want to be back on the road in a couple hours... But that means you'll have to work fast before it sets.

When I did mine it was colder, so I let the Permatex sit overnight to cure fully.

It really shouldn't require steel wool. You don't want to scratch the surface. That will leak. It should clean up pretty easy with a rag. (Some brake parts cleaner sprayed on the rag helps.) Avoid getting any chemicals in the valve area, and keep checking for any debris in that area. It might block oil passages or cause other problems. A big problem is flakes off the split loom covering the wiring harnesses. It's all very brittle on mine at this point and breaks off when you move the wiring.
I used a plastic scraper on the spots with the RTV to get that off.

Last edited:

Members online

Back