Variable Assist

dff97mkiii

LVC Member
Reaction score
My car has had stiff steering since purchasing my 97 MKV111. It has some assist, however it is constant. There is no greater assist at idle and lower speeds? Additionally, it the wheel won't return to center after turns-I must manually turn it. I jacked up the front end and turned the wheel while the vehicle was running and found that it is consistant with the condition mentioned/no change. I removed the wires from the EVO, again no change whatsoever. I am at a loss???? Help please. Thanks

Remove coolant bottle cap, insert new car, replace cap

Input

Really appreciate your time and efforts. Now why hadn't I thought of that? Hmmm...

Someone may have changed the rack and got the wrong one. Local parts house gave me the wrong one, probably for a t-bird, for my Wife's 95. Stiff after changing. Told the wife to live with it because changing that rack is a B***H!

As Chris said lower ball joints are most common issue. If your on coil springs someone could have unplugged 1 of the connectors on the air suspension module, rather than snipping the wire to get rid of the check air ride message. I have seen that on several cars I have bought. I believe that module also controls the steering effort but not sure if unplugging the connector causes problems with the steering. I just plug them back in after snipping the wire.

Your EV could be stuck in the open position. I that is the case disconnecting it would not make a difference.

My 98's been that way since I bought it in 2002. Literally the entire front suspension has been replaced, including PS pump (which included a new EVO valve) and rack, and it didn't make a bit of difference. This issue seems to afflict a small percentage of cars, as you will find the same complaint occasionally on the different forums. I have yet to find an answer. It makes the car unpleasant as hell to park and drive around town, but I've pretty much given up hope of ever finding a solution.

The only thing left is electronics. The air suspension module tucked behind the dash above the right kick panel is one possible culprit, since it also controls the EVO. Another possibility is the sensor mounted on the forward end of the steering column, as it reads how fast you turn the wheel and feeds that info to the module.

I also know a guy (Mike P) who claims that his was fixed when he replaced the clockspring. There is some sort of module attached to it, but I have no idea what it does. Seems unlikely, but he swears it now steers "like butta".

What Mike said could be possible. The module he speaks of is the black box on the underside of the steering column. all your electronics plug into the box including that forward sensor. I think the module it simply acts as a junction point. I did take it apart once and there is a simply circuit board in it. If something was wrong with it could be impeding or changing the electrical signals. If you have an extra one it might be worth a try since a clock spring only takes 15-30 minutes to change.

Surprised no one mentioned an alignment. or I missed it in my speed reading. An no, not all shops align right! Had my car done once, the Mark, and it was horrible to drive. Even visually it looked "wrong". Took it back and had it done right.

Alos the variable valve defaults to the full open position. As you increase speed power increases to operate what is just a flow restrictor. Removing the wires, are you did, would result in full open. Or it should. Always the chance, as mentioned, that it stuck in the closed position but I would think that a rare thing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back