v65spd vs v8

I ran my 04 against a 02 today on the highway at 90-120 (with no other cars around) and I was reeling him in like a fish. All I can tell the 02 had done was the exhaust, it was sitting horizontal instead of vertical.

00ls5spd said:
The ball wouldn't even go forward!! :D Just messing with ya....

Yeah your right Favre's a puss. hehehehehehehe. j/k. hehehehehehe. :p :p :p :D

02V8Sport said:
I ran my 04 against a 02 today on the highway at 90-120 (with no other cars around) and I was reeling him in like a fish. All I can tell the 02 had done was the exhaust, it was sitting horizontal instead of vertical.

I want to race you bro. Better yet, I want to meet you at the track one day and see what kind of times your car can put down? As long as the tune is decently aggressive it should be able to beat my LS. Come on up to Great lakes Dragaway in wouthern Wisconsin so we can have a little fun! :cool:

402777LS said:
Stock VS stock no question the V8 is the winner, no matter how good the driver in the V6. BUT add mods to the intake, replace the soda straws the V6 MTX's had for an exhaust and tune it with the XCAL and my guess is the MTX will beat any stock V8, any year.
You might get extra power out of the V6 doing that, but it's still not going to make up the 60hp deficit it has against the 2nd generation LS V8. If you do those mods to a pre-'03 V8, you're still not quite up to the level of a stock '03-'06 V8--and the pre-'03 V8s only have a 28hp deficit.

Short of nitrous or forced induction, the V6 just isn't a match for the 2nd gen 3.9s.

rocket5979 said:
I want to race you bro. Better yet, I want to meet you at the track one day and see what kind of times your car can put down? Come on up to Great lakes Dragaway in wouthern Wisconsin so we can have a little fun! :cool:

You have a deal! Your car seems quick as heck. I would love to see what mine has in it as well. Let me know a night on the weekend that Great Lakes is hosting a open track. I will also be bringing my 550HP 03 Saleen to see what it can do as well.

P1010117.JPG

SoonerLS said:
If you do those mods to a pre-'03 V8, you're still not quite up to the level of a stock '03-'06 V8--and the pre-'03 V8s only have a 28hp deficit.

Not really. You would be REALLY close actually. With tune, CAI, and exhaust a 00-02 V8 should be able to surpass a stock 03+ V8. But then of course modded to modded gen1 vs gen2 V8's would be a different story. ;)

02V8Sport said:
You have a deal! Your car seems quick as heck. I would love to see what mine has in it as well. Let me know a night on the weekend that Great Lakes is hosting a open track. I will also be bringing my 550HP 03 Saleen to see what it can do as well.

Yeah bring the Stang too. I feel like splooging on something. :D

Looks like we both have our Ford "racing vehicles" and our DD Lincoln vehicles. hehe.

rocket5979 said:
Yeah bring the Stang too. I feel like splooging on something. :D

Looks like we both have our Ford "racing vehicles" and our DD Lincoln vehicles. hehe.

Sure do! The Linc is driven daily, the Saleen has 5000 miles on it. Here is the other guys car I normally go racing with in the Cobra. He pushes 600HP at the wheel and walks me all day long. Thing that sucks is that he spent $15K less for his car. The Saleen is more show than go.

P1010094.JPG

00ls5spd said:
:Beer .....I'll stick with my manual anyday....But I would like to see this race take place at a safe location (drag strip) or a road course...any ideas where this could take place in so cal?? I know Qual Comm puts on legal races every once in awhile.

Hmmmm...We both have '00 Sports, you with the manual 6 and I with the 8, and we both have aftermarket exhaust. Could be a good match-up, whada ya say? :F

rocket5979 said:
Not really. You would be REALLY close actually. With tune, CAI, and exhaust a 00-02 V8 should be able to surpass a stock 03+ V8. But then of course modded to modded gen1 vs gen2 V8's would be a different story. ;)
I'm fairly certain that the numbers I saw posted (by Quik and Ken, IIRC) put a 1st gen LS V8 with those mods in the upper 270s, but still below the 280hp in the 2nd gen LS V8.

SoonerLS said:
I'm fairly certain that the numbers I saw posted (by Quik and Ken, IIRC) put a 1st gen LS V8 with those mods in the upper 270s, but still below the 280hp in the 2nd gen LS V8.

Less than 30 horsepower from a tune, CAI, and exhaust is crap for gains! Heck the tune alone should net anywhere between 12-15rwhp alone depending on the tuner. That only leaves about 10-12 horsepower for the CAI and exhaust to take care of. A modded 00-02 will take a stock 03+ LS8, especially on the takeoff where the TBW isn't in the way. The 00-02 LS8's will almost always be able to get a better 60' time in the 1/4 mile because they can launch harder than we can, even when we are tuned to minimize TBW lag. ;)

That's okay, those modded pre 03 can just beat me while I turn up those cooled seats and get comfortable. :)

Smokey said:
That's okay, those modded pre 03 can just beat me while I turn up those cooled seats and get comfortable. :)

HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!! Amen! lol

Smokey said:
BTW, anyone else have a PRP for their LS? Just curious.

I highly doubt anyone else here even knows what a PRP is besides a very few of us. To my knowledge I have only seen evidence of you and me being the only ones with PRP's for any vehicle, let alone an LS on this site. My PRP is for my X BTW, not the LS. I know Lou had plans to get one but I don't know if he did yet. Whats your box code BTW? If it is EBS4 I will be your best friend! :D uh huh. You know that since you got the PRP for the LS that you got to put it to good use(custom TT project), right? ;)

My code is PHP8. I actually have not done much with the PRP yet. Still cludging my way around in it. Luckily, I can always load one of the Torrie Tunes and away I go!

Smokey said:
My code is PHP8. I actually have not done much with the PRP yet. Still cludging my way around in it. Luckily, I can always load one of the Torrie Tunes and away I go!

i have the same code.

Also, about your CAI. Did it make much improvement over just the Xcal2 alone? What about the noise factor?

02V8Sport: What brand of remote start do you have? WHo installed it? I had one on my 04 Vic and really like it, but was hesitant about getting one for the LS due to the memory functions of the remote. Did not want to loose those. Also, my last remote start fobs were terrible. The buttons were above the housing and I was constantly honking the horn on the Vic due to something else in my pocket depressing the butons.

Smokey said:
Also, about your CAI. Did it make much improvement over just the Xcal2 alone? What about the noise factor?

Oh yeah it improves over the tune. It does add growl when on the gas at certain rpms, but I like it.

It sounds like you just made a new best friend with 02V8Sport now that he found out that you can tune for his LS now! hehe One day I might just splurge the extra $200 for the LS database so I can tune my LS too. Of course if I do that then I will need to justify it by doing something radical in the engine bay like my custom turbo project. :D

Smokey said:

The CAI is the second best improvement over the XCAL2. It is loud compared to stock. The CAI opens up the car a lot especially since the 03+ motors have Variable Timing on the intake side. I have a Magnaflow exhaust on my 04 and it doesnt do anything performance wise, jut adds sound.

Smokey said:
02V8Sport: What brand of remote start do you have? WHo installed it? I had one on my 04 Vic and really like it, but was hesitant about getting one for the LS due to the memory functions of the remote. Did not want to loose those. Also, my last remote start fobs were terrible. The buttons were above the housing and I was constantly honking the horn on the Vic due to something else in my pocket depressing the butons.

I have the Ford brand remote starter. I installed it myself, took about 6 hours but works great. I dont have the window roll down feature, but I can live w/o that.

JohnnyB said:
Hmmmm...We both have '00 Sports, you with the manual 6 and I with the 8, and we both have aftermarket exhaust. Could be a good match-up, whada ya say? :F

I never even thought of that, we should get together and give em a run...any ideas when? where? I think it would be fun. I would have to borrow nick's stock wheels, But we should try and do this soon.....

Well, tomorrow's out because I have plans and they canceled it because of the forecast. The next races are May 5th and 12th. We could shoot for one of those days. Hopefully we can get some more LS' involved.

I find out next thursday what day my wife will have her baby (c-section) I will have to make plans from there. As of right now it is scheduled for the week of May 12th. So maybe can can have some timt to plan right and get a few other guys in too.

JohnnyB and 00ls5spd, wish I could join you guys but it is a bit of a trek from NJ. would love to hear the results of the race. try to get a video of it if you can. what type of track are you going to race on?

Members online

No members online now.
Back