v65spd vs v8

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
what's everyone opinions (i don't mean to bash anyone’s LS's I love all of them)

I think if driven correctly a stock v6 5spd could compete with a stock v8. The horse power difference isn't that large and the v8 is a bit heavier.

I'm not saying the 5spd is faster but manuals can perform really well. being able to control the gears and rpms in corners and being at peak hp at the right times for acceleration out of the corners...

either way I'd have to say the more I drive my v65spd I think everyone who hasn't should drive one, get used to the manual and see if you don't like its performance better or at least appreciate its differences.

Anyone here who has a v6auto or a V8 that has driven a v65spd post up your comments.

We could be bias Jokken but I agree with you that a V6 manual driven correctly, Could beat a V8 LS. I would like to dyno my LS just to see what HP I have with the intake and exhaust. I drove a stock V8 LS a few weeks ago and I was not very impressed...I like them don't get me wrong, but mine felt it had a bit more get up and go.

it can come close - we tested many of them - and the weight difference almost makes up for the HP difference - but not quite..... it is close but the V8 still wins out.

I have driven Justin's car (00LS5spd) and it did feel peppier than my V6 auto. With the manual LS as in any other manual car you get all the control and the power of the engine, where with the automatic even with V8 you don't. I think the V8 is still faster and it feels stronger. I have driven an 02 V8 and it felt ok, but the 06 V8 was the fastest one out of the all LSs and you car really feel the power, but not as much as in the other cars, for instance, my friends 99 740il is actually slower than the 06 LS, but it feels much stronger when it accelerates. I think it is because of the higher torque.

Mack Daddy said:
V-8 only The six has noooooo torq and shifter is numb

I'm pretty sure Artur, Mikedeezy, and nick will vouch for me on the torque of my LS...I can smoke the sh!t out my tires on any day, (gets expensive with 20's...) And I bet if I put the stock 17's back on I could probably get a chirp in second gear... I don't have the traction control option on my 00'

I am pretty sure it would come down to the driver, in a heads up stock for stock race, I could be wrong though.....:D

Nebody wanna sign up for Pinks on the speed channel......j/k....

it would be close for say...0-50 but after that there's not much shifting and the v8's power wins.....and didn't the manual go away in 02? the 03+ v8's would definitely trash the manual v6's after about 40mph or so

agree with the last post. off the line, I might even give the nod to the V6, but only because the limiting factor is traction. Given equal tires and the fact that either car can smoke them from the start, the lighter V6 will win out. But once under way, the 8 is just going to walk past the 6.

I believe motortrend posted these numbers for the 2000 v8/v6

v8 - (0-60) 7.4 , (1/4mile) 15.7 @ 90
v6 - (0-60) 8.0 , (1/4mile) 16.3 @ 86

and noted that the factory shifts points on the auto were almost prefect. They remarked that even though the manual felt 'quicker' the numbers proved almost no difference between the v6 manual and the v6 auto.

I'll post the link to the article if I can find it again.....

Stock VS stock no question the V8 is the winner, no matter how good the driver in the V6. BUT add mods to the intake, replace the soda straws the V6 MTX's had for an exhaust and tune it with the XCAL and my guess is the MTX will beat any stock V8, any year.

Hey guys... i have a 2002 V8 with 45K miles and I raced a 2000 Lincoln V6 5speed from a stop, anyways he jumped out by half a car in first gear but as soon as i shifted to second i started pulling on him hard, by 100 i had 3-4 cars on him easy.. ;) both are stock too oh and i was pulling even better the more the speed increased btw...

I like the stick better personaly, I do however believe that the v8 would walk it down eventualy. My volvo running very poorly ran a 15.5 last time it was at the the track and it did feel faster then the ls even like that.
Eamonn

hockey930 said:
I like the stick better personaly, I do however believe that the v8 would walk it down eventualy. My volvo running very poorly ran a 15.5 last time it was at the the track and it did feel faster then the ls even like that.
Eamonn

From experience, smaller cars allways "feel" faster, to me anyway. Maybe it's a perception thing like louder cars "feel" faster.

i agree with what some people are saying. it is close but it depends on the length and type of race. How about in the twisties?

00ls5spd we are bias but for good reason, driving the ls manual is such an awesome time. everyone should try one out some time. the thing is though you have to have the time (a few days or weeks) to get used to it. not too many people can jump in a car and drive it to its fully capacity without taking the time to learn it. That’s why the more I drive my 5spd the more I love it, cause my driving is getting better.

Wish I could of found a 5-spd when I was looking but in the end I am happier w/ the v8. Thought about doing an tranny swap but that is just too much work to do to this car, that and hopefully it well be out of my wallet soon.

:Beer .....I'll stick with my manual anyday....But I would like to see this race take place at a safe location (drag strip) or a road course...any ideas where this could take place in so cal?? I know Qual Comm puts on legal races every once in awhile.

jokken said:
i agree with what some people are saying. it is close but it depends on the length and type of race. How about in the twisties?

00ls5spd we are bias but for good reason, driving the ls manual is such an awesome time. everyone should try one out some time. the thing is though you have to have the time (a few days or weeks) to get used to it. not too many people can jump in a car and drive it to its fully capacity without taking the time to learn it. That’s why the more I drive my 5spd the more I love it, cause my driving is getting better.

00 LS6 3572
00 LS8 3671
01 LS6 3593
01 LS8 3692

The v6 is about 100 lighter.

402777LS said:
Stock VS stock no question the V8 is the winner, no matter how good the driver in the V6. BUT add mods to the intake, replace the soda straws the V6 MTX's had for an exhaust and tune it with the XCAL and my guess is the MTX will beat any stock V8, any year.

I am highly doubtful of that. If the Motortrend times are correct, like Quik posted, then a V6 manual compared to a 03+ V8 is behind in the 1/4 by about 1.4 seconds. That is a huge difference. While the mods you listed could get the V6 manual in the 15's no problem, it would not be able to get that 6'er into the 14's unless you were running a shot of nitrous. Not beating up on the V6 crowd here, but just keeping things in perspective. Modded vs modded, of any year with the standard bolts ons, and the 03+ V8's will win again.

remember - 1.4secs at 90mph = 185feet (62 yards) - it ain't even close.

Quik LS said:
remember - 1.4secs at 90mph = 185feet (62 yards) - it ain't even close.

Hehehe, Brett Favre could throw a football while riding in the V6 and barely stand a chance of hitting the V8 car! ;) :p :p :p

rocket5979 said:
Hehehe, Brett Favre could throw a football while riding in the V6 and barely stand a chance of hitting the V8 car! ;) :p :p :p

The ball wouldn't even go forward!! :D Just messing with ya....

Members online

No members online now.
Back