v6 coils, KARLYN or BECK/ARNLEY

dogsled

LVC Member
Reaction score
so I replaced the coils plugs and valve cover gaskets on the V6 LS about 15K miles back because it was throwing misfire codes. there was oil in the wells, so it needed attention. Not it is throwing TPS codes, tryed a junk yard TB, then a new TB still throwing TPS and throttle body mod actuator codes. I guess I am going to try replacing the coils again. (Ugh. This is the most problematic car I have ever owned). Anyway looking for feedback on which coils to buy, thinking KARLYN or BECK/ARNLEY coils. Last ones I put on were BWD intermotor, had one fail right away, now not sure what it going on but suspect coils again.

I've never heard of any of these brands... Since you have the v6 I BELIEVE Visteon is still available, if not go with motorcraft.

the karlyn's are German brand, supposedly a supplier for Audi. The BWD's are from Advance Auto,

It has been my own personal experience - and I'm sure many others will attest to this that aftermarket critical engine components do not fair well with the LS. I would stick to OEM, autozone and the other aftermarket parts stores are good in a pinch, or for minor components like a belt, or oil, brakes, etc. but I would not trust them for anything critical under the hood. The motorcraft parts will be significantly more expensive (increasingly as they are becoming harder to find) but you will not replace them every 10k like you will with the crappy aftermarket components. The Visteon part number is 60-1004 and I just searched and it looks like they are gone as well. Therefore, motorcraft is your ONLY reliable option.

Go oem, or go home (in etc failsafe mode).

Have read that the motorcraft ones are made in China, would rather have something else. And this dog turd of a car limps home all the time. Most unreliable thing I have ever had the displeasure of owning.

Just because it's from Germany doesn't mean it's good. Germans need cheap crappy parts too.

And being manufactured in China isn't all a bad thing anymore...

And keep blaming the car for your cheapness.

I don't think that trying to repair something on a budget is cheap, but thank you for your helpful comment.
If I had unlimited funds, I would give this Lincoln POS to a local charity and buy a dependable vehicle.

The OEM stuff isn't all that great on this POS car.

Leaving everything else aside, what people are trying to tell you is that:

1 - coils are known problem (you know this)
2 - even though the original coils were OEM, we as a collective over many years of owning these cars know that the OEM's last a lot longer than any others, with the exception of accels (see numerous threads) and visteons (no longer available)

It is worth it to pay extra for the OEM coils, because they last much, much longer.

Leaving everything else aside, what people are trying to tell you is that:

1 - coils are known problem (you know this)
2 - even though the original coils were OEM, we as a collective over many years of owning these cars know that the OEM's last a lot longer than any others, with the exception of accels (see numerous threads) and visteons (no longer available)

It is worth it to pay extra for the OEM coils, because they last much, much longer.

I understand what you are saying and I don't dispute the evidence that this vehicle is finicky. However, I cannot believe that all other parts are crap. For instance Autocraft did not make the COPs on my jeep which has seen much rougher duty and more miles than the Lincoln and never had an issue, neither has any other vehicle I've ever owned, Nissan, Mazda, Chevy, Toyota, VW. There are obviously some issues with the design on this vehicles system (which is why the LS is no longer offered I'm sure) that make it very susceptible to EMI and cause it to throw the fake codes and go into limp home mode. My guess is that there are some serious grounding and shielding issues. And I understand that I use other parts at my own peril. For instance I have already done this repair once 15K miles ago without the knowledge of how picky this car is and am now looking at having to do it again. Thanks for the reply.

I have the O'Reilly brand in 5 out of 8 and they are fine, some have been in for 40,000 miles, 3 of mine are still oem at 112,000 miles

I have the O'Reilly brand in 5 out of 8 and they are fine, some have been in for 40,000 miles, 3 of mine are still oem at 112,000 miles

Thanks, I am going to put the OEM ones on the passenger side since it is a pain to have to remove the intake. I'm also going to try to rig up something with my oscope and a function generator to test the ones that I have as a science project.

Members online

No members online now.
Back