Upper control arm repair

Something tells me AmsterDutch I may have gone through this process of replacing a "faulty control arm ball joint" and hrs of labor for brake pads. I noticed this noise suddenly two weeks ago when it got cold. First it sounded like it was at the wheel. Then ball joints, then I felt the driver upper and ordered new part, then while I was removing yeasterday and wanted to double check it sounds like it's the other side.

I wonder if my pads rub normally (makes sense since my wheels don't spin too easily when car is jacked - they spin but there is some resistance) and now that it's cold the material is causing the noise.

No need to disconnect the brake lines, so there should be no fluid, bleeding, or seal issues. Just leave the MC floating by the brake lines, nearby but out of the way.

Just following up for those interested in upper control arm removal that these instructions Joegr shared are accurate for Gen I. I just I would've reread these before starting as the second MC bolt by the fender is a PITA to get to.

I decided the reservoir had to be removed due to a tab that blocked access to the MC bolt (after removing cowl and support bar and others). Turns out that tab is from the reservoir to the cylinder bolt that goes all the way through. After I loosened and pulled the bolt I got access to the MC bolt and voila, out came the Master cylinder and now I could remove the upper control arm.

I think it's a 1 - 1.5 hr job to remove for first timers if you do it right.

Something tells me AmsterDutch I may have gone through this process of replacing a "faulty control arm ball joint" and hrs of labor for brake pads. I noticed this noise suddenly two weeks ago when it got cold. First it sounded like it was at the wheel. Then ball joints, then I felt the driver upper and ordered new part, then while I was removing yeasterday and wanted to double check it sounds like it's the other side.

I wonder if my pads rub normally (makes sense since my wheels don't spin too easily when car is jacked - they spin but there is some resistance) and now that it's cold the material is causing the noise.
I just replaced my right side caliper and O'Reillys messed up on my brake pad order .... I ordered ceramic front and they gave me rear .... Jut a bunch of kids working there ....so what do you do lol anyway I noticed a rubbing kinda squeaking noise when I turn left and after reading your post thought the new upper control arm might be the culprit but after listening again I believe it's the brake pads because due to O'Reillys mix up I had to purchase met talus front brake pads instead of ceramic I need new rotors so as soon as I get around to it I'm throwing the metallic in the garbage and ordering new rotors and pads to fix this issue. .., if it still persist after I do this not a huge deal because I need the new parts anyway

Members online

No members online now.
Back