Universal joint Replacement

af62cobra

LVC Member
Reaction score
i think u-joint is bad. My question can i get just the joint or do i need to buy driveshaft

Do these cars have u-joints? I thought these cars had a flex drive/flex coupler not u-joints.

car has a vibration between 40 and 50 does it if the transmission is in gear or in neutral. I think it has to be in the driveshaft some were. If someone has a different opinion .Please let me know car is a 2005 3.0 with 75000 miles.

Yes I would be interested in hearing any suggestions as well. I have the exact same issue with again a 2005 ls v6. I suppose since I have apparently fixed at least one oil leak...it's on to the next issue.

car has a vibration between 40 and 50 does it if the transmission is in gear or in neutral. I think it has to be in the driveshaft some were. If someone has a different opinion .Please let me know car is a 2005 3.0 with 75000 miles.

Toomanyfumes had the same problem..

Idk what his fix was though..

Have you done any work on the driveline? the shaft is balanced to be reconnected at the transmission or the rearend at specific points.

Specifically -

"The driveshaft has traditional balance weights attached (spot-welded) by the manufacturer. The final driveshaft balance occurs, with the complete drivetrain assembly at vehicle assembly, by attaching weighted color-coded nuts to the axle flex coupling bolts. For this reason, the rear flex coupling bolts are longer than the front transmission flex coupling bolts. Always install the driveshaft flex coupling bolts with the head of the bolt seated against the flange, and the nuts seated against the flex coupling. "

Just another datapoint: A friend of mine has an 03 T-Bird that had a similar vibration. The dealership replaced the center bearing (under warranty).

Thanks for the help but driveshaft has NOT been touched. I was looking at the center bearing bracket. I'm a retired ford dealer so call my old parts mgr. He told me he couldn't find the bracket,so i was glad to hear that it can be serviced. Has anyone did this,can i do this in my shop or will i need to take it back to dealership.

Info on the shop? Do you have a lift (makes things way easier).. You will have to pull the exhaust, heat shield, then you can proceed to the DS..

I have a lift but really don't want to remove all that. To the dealership it goes. Thanks

Let me know what was wrong. I do have the same problem, same speeds. Haven't fixed mine yet.

You need a bearing press or large, long armed 3-arm puller to get that bearing off. Total pain of a job. I heard that recently, the bearing ass'y was no longer available. The only problem that I had with mine is that the rubber suspension for the bearing was bad, so the bearing was no longer fixed to the center of the bracket. It gave a bad wobble at take-off but a problem was not really evident at speed. You would think it would be much the opposite, with lots of orbit-like play at higher speed and a wild, uncentered bearing, allowing a driveshaft to wander.

I'd think any competent driveline shop could make something work. About 4 years ago 3 u-joints, center bearing, and a balance was about $190 for my F-150.

Source a used drive shaft, it will come with the bearing. This is pretty bad, that a driveshaft support bearing could orphan a car is there was no used parts stream available.

Members online

No members online now.
Back