Turtle Wax Black Box

I have slight swirls. Beyond that the paint is in great condition. For that I can just use polish right? No need to compound?

I have slight swirls. Beyond that the paint is in great condition. For that I can just use polish right? No need to compound?

I wouldn't think you would need to. But I haven't used a DA/random orbital is quite some time. I primarily use a Makita 9227 rotary.

I would not use a more aggressive polish/pad combination than what is needed. I would start with a polish and a medium pad (something like Menzerna Power Finish on a Uber Green pad), and see where that gets you. If you can avoid having to follow with a finishing pad/polish combo, that would be ideal.

I HATE thinking about polishing right now. I brought the LS in to the dealer because the ABS light was on, and to get it diagnosed. I returned to pick up my car, to find that they F*CKING WASHED IT. :mad:

Needless to say, TONS of marring/scratches. I would've made it a point to tell them not to wash it, but didn't even THINK they would wash the damn car when I only brought it in for an ABS light diagnosis.

Obviously, you saw in that thread where I wetsanded my car. This makes heavy compounding pretty much impossible now due to the amount of clearcoat I removed. I'm not sure I can compound out the damage they did. Just writing about it makes me irrate again.

Oh, and in addition to the method of polishing you use, you would be wise to invest in proper washing tools (sponge/mitt/drying towels) so you don't swirl the paint up again.

Yeah right now I have a small army of micro fiber towels but it sounds like I should invest in some other stuff. I'm just gonna need to sit down tonight and completely read through that detailing website. Right now the information is somewhat overwhelming lol. That sucks about the dealership man. In this case it definitely isn't the thought that counts lol

DUUSSSTTT!!!! My car is so damn dusty I dont know what to do. It's not sand, its dust. Should I just wipe it off? I'm definitely getting some of that anti static detailer lol

Well, I've read that taking a microfiber and running it over the car with no pressure, just drop and drag, is ok for getting dust off the car. Thoughts? I would imagine this wouldnt product any scratches and even if it did they would be polished out with the next waxing

for the love of God and all that is holy don't wipe it off...so I'm told.

Yeah I've found a lot of contradicting advice. People that say its ok say use a high quality microfiber and run it over the paint without any pressure, just gravity's pressure, and only do that for light layers of dust (like what I'm working with). Idk, the detailer I have doesnt seem to work very well. Its a huge PITA to use it without getting streaks so im trying to find the best solution. Everyone seems to agree mostly on avoiding california dusters

I'm sure they aren't great. Did you see the before pictures of that impala SS I detailed?

In order for water to bead up and fall off the surface nicely, you need to claybar. That will remove embedded contaminants, and make your paint ultra smooth. Claying the car also helps the longevity of whatever sealant/wax you apply.

Yeah you did an amazing job! Thats the deep black i want my paint to have!

for the love of God and all that is holy don't wipe it off...so I'm told.

same thing ive heard.

Its messed up when people see you car is dirty and put theyre hands on it to be funny writing "wash me" on the paint. And never use the brush of death at the car wash. I am guilty of using the pressure washer/towel method but i refuse to ever use that soap brush.

i dunno i live near a highway and its dusty as hell, every few days i tend to take a microfiber and lightly pass it over the car, then it looks sort of freshly waxed again haha

and if any of you guys have chrome wheels, dont be fooled into buying any products, unless your rims are extremely dirty, all you need is water and drying towel, then microfiber to finish off

same for windows

anybody know of any dust repellent products out there, im tired of it always being dusty lol

Why they put that soap brush in the washing bays I will never know. I used it once thinking oh hey once isn't going to hurt it. Nope, Chuck Testa, but seriously, it was doing work on my paint.

Also have a problem using quarter car washes. Everytime I used them the water has a tint of black in it? :( Not sure what that is. Today I had the first wash with the refinished light. Looks like I missed a couple spots with the polishing wheel, either that or the spray soap stuff there left it's mark on my nice looking headlight.

Windows, 50/50 isopropyl and water. Increase the alcohol if you want it to evaporate quicker but 50/50 fills my need.

For what it's worth I'm a good 4 hours into waxing my car. Only got to the end of IPA, clay bar, and IPA. May not be the correct method but so far it's looking alright. Don't know if I'm doing the bloody clay bar right, whole bottle of quik detailer because the clay kept stickin'. :( Now just wax in the morning and again at night.

I HATE thinking about polishing right now. I brought the LS in to the dealer because the ABS light was on, and to get it diagnosed. I returned to pick up my car, to find that they F*CKING WASHED IT. :mad:

That is horrible! I dread the rare occasions when I have to go to the dealer. The last time I took the Saturn in the manager wanted to have them wash my meticulously clean car, and I had to argue with the guy to keep him from doing it! That really sucks, man. :(

DUUSSSTTT!!!! My car is so damn dusty I dont know what to do. It's not sand, its dust. Should I just wipe it off? I'm definitely getting some of that anti static detailer lol

Try having a girlfriend who lives on a farm with a driveway almost a mile long that is gravel and dirt. It's either dust or mud. She's lucky I like her more than the car but sometimes I wonder...

Regarding dust:

If you're at home, a quick spray with the hose and drying it with a drying aid (such as meguiars last touch, duragloss aquawax, or optimum car wax) is ideal. If no hose is available, a quick detailed wipe down is enough. I would recommend optimum no rinse mixed at qd dilution or Meg's last touch. Or fk425. Fk425 is awesome. It even smells like a mix of cotton candy and bubble gum.

Well I just applied the TW Black Tire Coat. It's supposed to last a lot longer than normal tire shine and look deeper/wetter (thats what she said?). You apply it then leave it for a hour. They say to wait at least 3 days to wash your car or longer because its supposed to build up durability over that time. Its like $12 so it better be worth it at more than double the price of other tire shines. Itll be 9:30 here by the time its done 'curing' so Ill take some pictures tomorrow and let ya know how it is. At the moment at least it looks amazing. Anyone else used this stuff before?

Have confidence in the "that's what she said" lol. Coincidentally enough my roommate just applied the exact same stuff to his new to him Grand Prix. Personally I don't like an overly wet or glossy tire and his looks just like that. Too much glisten for something like that. I just like mine to have a clean black look with a little shine on them. Using sponge applicator I use Meguiar's Endurance tire shine out of a spray bottle suits me well. It's purple and it smells good haha.

Not to steal his thunder but this is how glossy that ish is on the tire. If it's a problem I'll remove it, I mean there's still an LS in it.

DSCN0717.jpg

The turtle wax black box works well on black cars. I used it and any small scratches are mcuh less visible. The wax doesn't seem to be the best quality so I would suggest going over it with another coat of whatever wax you prefer. Also I would recommend using gloves as that black stuff gets all over your hands.

Have confidence in the "that's what she said" lol. Coincidentally enough my roommate just applied the exact same stuff to his new to him Grand Prix. Personally I don't like an overly wet or glossy tire and his looks just like that. Too much glisten for something like that. I just like mine to have a clean black look with a little shine on them. Using sponge applicator I use Meguiar's Endurance tire shine out of a spray bottle suits me well. It's purple and it smells good haha.

I have the Meguiar's Endurance in a bottle that isn't spray and it smells just like grape. Almost good enough to eat lol

That's where one of my recent awesomely taken photos was from. The wheel is still turned from when I took a pic of it. My roommate spent a Sunday afternoon workin' his camera.

It's not an LS but there's one saying hi in the background.

Members online

No members online now.
Back