turn signal switch possibly?

Hazard switch hangup!

This is a problem that has been discussed before on other forums. It is supposed that due to the opening in the top of the steering column for the Hazard Switch that dust somehow gets into the switch mechanism itself. Now since one uses the Hazards rarely, when you activate them the dust blocks the contacts sometimes totally so the turn signals don't work at all.

In either case the recommended solution is to purchase some Electrical Contact Cleaner spray (Radio Shack is OK) and spray behind the Hazard button exercising it several times to clean the contacts. The spray will not hurt plastic however you might wish to have a shop towel to catch any runoff. A little bit goes a long way but exercise it 10 to 15 times while spraying every few times to be sure it is clean.

Good Luck, Bob
:Beer

undefined
SC_Steve said:
I have a problem with my mark VIII and I "think" the turn signal switch may be the problem. Not sure though as I've never had one go out on me before.

ok, so here is the problem. Whenever I go to put my blinker on (left or right) It will not work 80% of the time, sometimes if I hit just the right spot it will work and then stop after 2 or 3 flashes (if I'm lucky).

This has been like this for atleast 3 months and I origionally thought it was a short or something. Now, rewind to before this started happening (maybe 6-7 months ago). I was driving to work one day and I ran out of gas (my guage/computer was telling me the wrong thing). So I hit my hazard lights and after about 5 mins they stopped working. I was on the side of the highway so it was dangerous to not have them on. Naturally I started messing with them (turning them on and off) and they started working for another few mins and then stopped working again. I kept messing with it until my ride finally came.

I'm sure the problems are related.

So... does it sound like I have a faulty switch? I really need an inspection bad, so I need to find out whats causing this asap. But like I said... I've never had a switch go on me before... so I don't know if this could be it or not.

thanks,
-Steve :)

well... replaced the relay (took me 3 mins at the very most) and it took care for the problem :)

thanks again guys.

feels good to be legal again lol
-Steve

SC_Steve said:
well... replaced the relay (took me 3 mins at the very most) and it took care for the problem :)

thanks again guys.

feels good to be legal again lol
-Steve

Just glad (I guess?!?!) that I too had the EXACT same problem. I did the WD-40 in the hazard light switch....SEVERAL times....NOTHING. I replaced the multi-function switch, not only once, but twice (now you see why Max is DA MAN......he took the first switch back and sent me another one, but not only did he do that, he sent me the new on next day BEFORE I sent back the first one.....talk about service......can you think of ANYONE else that would do that???). After the second switch did not work, I broke out the schematic of the lights, and saw that the ONLY other thing that was in there was the Flasher Relay, so I ordered it, and it fixed my problem.

Glad I could help Steve-O :Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back