turn signal switch possibly?

SC_Steve

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my mark VIII and I "think" the turn signal switch may be the problem. Not sure though as I've never had one go out on me before.

ok, so here is the problem. Whenever I go to put my blinker on (left or right) It will not work 80% of the time, sometimes if I hit just the right spot it will work and then stop after 2 or 3 flashes (if I'm lucky).

This has been like this for atleast 3 months and I origionally thought it was a short or something. Now, rewind to before this started happening (maybe 6-7 months ago). I was driving to work one day and I ran out of gas (my guage/computer was telling me the wrong thing). So I hit my hazard lights and after about 5 mins they stopped working. I was on the side of the highway so it was dangerous to not have them on. Naturally I started messing with them (turning them on and off) and they started working for another few mins and then stopped working again. I kept messing with it until my ride finally came.

I'm sure the problems are related.

So... does it sound like I have a faulty switch? I really need an inspection bad, so I need to find out whats causing this asap. But like I said... I've never had a switch go on me before... so I don't know if this could be it or not.

thanks,
-Steve :)

SC_Steve said:
I have a problem with my mark VIII and I "think" the turn signal switch may be the problem. Not sure though as I've never had one go out on me before.

ok, so here is the problem. Whenever I go to put my blinker on (left or right) It will not work 80% of the time, sometimes if I hit just the right spot it will work and then stop after 2 or 3 flashes (if I'm lucky).

This has been like this for atleast 3 months and I origionally thought it was a short or something. Now, rewind to before this started happening (maybe 6-7 months ago). I was driving to work one day and I ran out of gas (my guage/computer was telling me the wrong thing). So I hit my hazard lights and after about 5 mins they stopped working. I was on the side of the highway so it was dangerous to not have them on. Naturally I started messing with them (turning them on and off) and they started working for another few mins and then stopped working again. I kept messing with it until my ride finally came.

I'm sure the problems are related.

So... does it sound like I have a faulty switch? I really need an inspection bad, so I need to find out whats causing this asap. But like I said... I've never had a switch go on me before... so I don't know if this could be it or not.

thanks,
-Steve :)
smells like the auto cancelling spring took a crap check the position of you wheel when this happens if it works when the wheel is in different positions then its your multi function switch. about 300 bux i think from ford or your local bone yard may help u.
Eric

thanks... I just picked up a new multi function switch about 10 mins ago... hopefully it'll do the trick. If not... then on to other possibility's

thanks again man,
-Steve

You did call Max @ 5 Star for that part SC Steve...he has the best prices.

Actually......if the multifunction switch does not do the trick, then it is most likely the flasher relay. Here is the part number Flasher Relay - F0DZ-13350-A

1wykdmk8 said:
...Actually......if the multifunction switch does not do the trick, then it is most likely the flasher relay. Here is the part number Flasher Relay - F0DZ-13350-A

...and it won't be in the fuse box.

sweet... thanks for the heads up guys :Beer

can't wait to get this thing inspected and be done with it. I owe ya's one or seven :D

-Steve :L

SC_Steve said:
sweet... thanks for the heads up guys :Beer

can't wait to get this thing inspected and be done with it. I owe ya's one or seven :D

-Steve :L
glad it worked out for yah
Eric

1wykdmk8 said:
You did call Max @ 5 Star for that part SC Steve...he has the best prices.

Actually......if the multifunction switch does not do the trick, then it is most likely the flasher relay. Here is the part number Flasher Relay - F0DZ-13350-A

ok, well the switch didn't do the trick. Looks like the relay.

is it easily accessable once I get the glove box out? or is it hidden behind some junk? Thanks alot man

-Steve

No.....as soon as you drop the glove box, look to the left on the metal bracing and there should be 2 relays. Just simply match up the numbers (if you can), if not, pull one and match the underside (the flasher relay has only 3 prongs on the bottom).

Hope that helps.

1wykdmk8 said:
No.....as soon as you drop the glove box, look to the left on the metal bracing and there should be 2 relays. Just simply match up the numbers (if you can), if not, pull one and match the underside (the flasher relay has only 3 prongs on the bottom).

Hope that helps.

speaking of turn signals it would be kinda cool to do a sequinail turn signal for the back

lincolnboy said:
speaking of turn signals it would be kinda cool to do a sequinail turn signal for the back
um yuk a little bit ricey no!? jmho

ERIC1 said:
um yuk a little bit ricey no!? jmho

Ricey??? Not even close.....consider the fact that it was on a Mercury Cougar....how can you consider that ricey?

Someone was supposedly workin on a kit on one of the other sites....but since I am interested, and I have PLENTY of time, I may work on this myself.
:Beer

well... I went to carquest and they didn't have the relay. I'm going to try a few other places today.

thanks again guys,
-Steve

P.S. when you get that sequential light thing setup, let me know... I'd like to do that aswell.

Sequential turn signals are sweet :)

SC_Steve said:
well... I went to carquest and they didn't have the relay. I'm going to try a few other places today.

thanks again guys,
-Steve

P.S. when you get that sequential light thing setup, let me know... I'd like to do that aswell.

Sequential turn signals are sweet :)

Give Max a call @ 5 Star 1-800-866-1520 ext 236.

As for the sequential tail lights.....I think I have all the necessary parts searched out......now I just need to order them, and start building.

1wykdmk8 said:
Ricey??? Not even close.....consider the fact that it was on a Mercury Cougar....how can you consider that ricey?

Someone was supposedly workin on a kit on one of the other sites....but since I am interested, and I have PLENTY of time, I may work on this myself.
just out of curiosity where are you sequencing them to? on my car only 1 light blinks in the rear maybe i am wrong but id like to see an action shot of this working ive seen it on the cougar and well it works fine there ive seen it on the t-birsd too but eh ill wait till i see yours i guess

ERIC1 said:
just out of curiosity where are you sequencing them to? on my car only 1 light blinks in the rear maybe i am wrong but id like to see an action shot of this working ive seen it on the cougar and well it works fine there ive seen it on the t-birsd too but eh ill wait till i see yours i guess

If I remember correctly there are 3 different bulbs that are in each housing, and when you hit the brake pedal they all light up, or if you turn on the turn signal they all blink at once. How the sequencer works is the inside light blinks, it then engages the sequencing circuit which stops the other 2 bulbs from lighting at the same time as the first......so then the second bulb will light, and then the third....then the cycle resets itself and as long as you have the signal on, it will flash in sequence. Now....I am not sure if I am going to do it just for the turn signal, or both (signal, and brake). Also, I am not sure if you can do it for both on the Mark or not.....so....time will tell.

1wykdmk8 said:
If I remember correctly there are 3 different bulbs that are in each housing, and when you hit the brake pedal they all light up, or if you turn on the turn signal they all blink at once. How the sequencer works is the inside light blinks, it then engages the sequencing circuit which stops the other 2 bulbs from lighting at the same time as the first......so then the second bulb will light, and then the third....then the cycle resets itself and as long as you have the signal on, it will flash in sequence. Now....I am not sure if I am going to do it just for the turn signal, or both (signal, and brake). Also, I am not sure if you can do it for both on the Mark or not.....so....time will tell.
seems like alot of work and risk on what seems to maybe be an already fragile electrical system. id like to see it in action now im intrigued.
Eric

ERIC1 said:
seems like alot of work and risk on what seems to maybe be an already fragile electrical system. id like to see it in action now im intrigued.
Eric

nahhhhh.....not really....on both. It really is not that difficult to figure out, and the electrical system really is not changing....all you are doing is adding a timer of sorts into the system....it will all hook up at that taillight assembly....not the whole system.

1wykdmk8 said:
nahhhhh.....not really....on both. It really is not that difficult to figure out, and the electrical system really is not changing....all you are doing is adding a timer of sorts into the system....it will all hook up at that taillight assembly....not the whole system.
cool like i said id like to see it go even if i dont like it for my own car.

1wykdmk8 said:

ray i get half the profit ........ :N :N :N

lincolnboy said:
ray i get half the profit ........ :N :N :N

How is this.....lol

I had this idea 3 - 4 years ago....but someone said that they already had someone workin on it....but that fell thru, and I just never picked it back up.....but I may just do that....I already have the schematic figured out and all, and the parts figured out as well.......will just have to wait and see.....

1wykdmk8 said:
Give Max a call @ 5 Star 1-800-866-1520 ext 236.

As for the sequential tail lights.....I think I have all the necessary parts searched out......now I just need to order them, and start building.

thanks man... I would call max, but I need this taken care of asap unfortunitly.

I called the local Ford dealership and they quoted me at 61 freakin dollars for the part... my god... it's only plastic and metal lol (you know... not a SINGLE parts store around here has one)

oh well... I just want it fixed lol. Picking the part up in a little while. Wish me luck

I understand your predicament, just too bad you can not wait........good luck man!! :Beer

1wykdmk8 said:
I understand your predicament, just too bad you can not wait........good luck man!! :Beer

I might see bout doing the sequ. turns too

Members online

No members online now.
Back