Turn signal switch going bad?

myfirstls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Aloha guys. recently, my turn signal has been acting up, and I would say it works 99% of the time, but that 1% that won't work bothers me. I do not get any indicator on instrument cluster and no outside light, and this happens more for right turn then left, but it does happen on both side (I would say 8/1 ratio).

Now, from what I read in here, has nothing to do with clockspring and it's the switch. What I would like to know is, just how hard is it to change this? Is it something that can be fixed (something like loose spring or bad contact that needs cleaning)? From the looks of it, I don't think it's something that can be taken apart.

Anyway, I'm looking for any hint/input before I tackle this.

As always, thanks guys.

Yes, it probably is the multi-function switch. The one on my 04 messes up a little now and then. I tried to spray some contact cleaner into it, and I think it's been mostly okay since then. Interestingly, using a scan tool, there is actually a code stored for bad turn signal switch (don't recall the actual code number).

Replacement it not too bad, but you do have to remove the steering wheel.
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

I've replaced 2 switches in my car. Not a hard job, you may need a puller to remove the steering wheel, maybe not. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes before removal, you don't want the airbag to activate by accident. Make sure wheels are straight before removal, mark location of steering wheel after airbag is off. I investigated the failure, I suspect that the wire strip connector wears out from all the turning of the steering wheel, found nothing else wrong with switch.

Thanks for the info guys. As I drove the car today, getting worse now. I would say the failure rate is now at around 25%. But this may have to wait a bit as my state require you have this thing called "safety check" which is done annually and I failed because I have water in my rear light housing.

Joe, any suggestion on contact cleaner? Or any will do.

This happened in my 2004. I got a used switch off a 2006 on ebay. And Joe is correct about the code, I had one stored for the bad switch.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, my OBD II Bluetooth reader failed on my, so I can't use Forscan right now and my cheap reader won't read any error code, aside from brief P0456 which has been cleared.

Since it has 2 year warranty and it's only been a year, working with manufacture to get the thing replace, but you know it's holiday season so I'm not expecting to receive that thing any time soon....................

Members online

No members online now.
Back