Truth about stereo installs in a Mark

Jibit

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
I've heard so many stories that I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I know on my Mark VII I was able to use a harness and bypass the amplifier. In my Mark VIII I was told that I couldn't do this so I ran my own wires everywhere. I guess in the long run this will help when I build a better system but now I hear you can bypass the amplifier like in the Mark VII. What's the truth and where did you guys get your harnesses from? I need to do an install for my brother-in-law but would rather not spend all day running wires throughout the entire car.

being one who maintains my mark stock - I never have changed my stereo. However, I was told it was simply a harness that had to be attached to change stereos.

On my brothers car we just bought a harness that bypassed the stock amp. I cant remember where we got it

I think they are a pretty common harnass -- any car stero place on the net should have them, or even best buy if you need it fast.

I tried going to best buy but they dont have the harness, at least not one for sale. Maybe they just want me to bring it there so they can install it.

Jibit said:
I tried going to best buy but they dont have the harness, at least not one for sale. Maybe they just want me to bring it there so they can install it.

Here is the connector you are lookin for.....I am pretty sure. It is for the Ford Premium/JBL sound system.

I didn't realize the same jumper was used on the Mark VII as in the VIII. I'm surprised crutchfield didn't know that. They sold me the kit for the VII. Thanks for the help.

I installed one Sony unit in my 90. In which I did not have to bypass the amp. Which was great. But when I installed a new Sony unit. I HAD to bypass the amp. What a bunch of biatches!

1wykdmk8 said:
Here is the connector you are lookin for.....I am pretty sure. It is for the Ford Premium/JBL sound system.

I got a amp bypass in my mark VIII and it looks nothing like what ya got pictured there. I got mine from crutchfield. I also used to have a mark VII and it did look like the 1 pictured but I dont think that will work for the VIII. The bypass needs to be run to the amp to the deck, because the tweeters in the mark have a crossover in the amp I believe and if you dont run the bypass from amp to deck, tweeters will get bass to them and will blow. This is what I was told at least, I no longer use the by pass because I ran a totally aftermarket stereo, all new mids/highs, amps, deck, subs ect...

If interested ill sell ya the bypass kit. Being I dont use it anymore no reason to have it, I know they were expensive when I got mine. So I just paid the premium and ordered the deck from crutchfield (it was free with deck purchase).

I installed a new Kenwood HD head unit, used the Scoche FDK4B connector and now I'm getting crackling and popping from the speakers; even once the amp/HU went into "Protect" mode which means there is a short. From what I've read the Scosche is self grounding when using the factory connectors to the scosche plugs? Can anyone confirm this or tell me if I've missed something? All 6 speakers work but it sounds like the rear spear on the right side is the one crackling and popping.

I installed a new Kenwood HD head unit, used the Scoche FDK4B connector and now I'm getting crackling and popping from the speakers; even once the amp/HU went into "Protect" mode which means there is a short. From what I've read the Scosche is self grounding when using the factory connectors to the scosche plugs? Can anyone confirm this or tell me if I've missed something? All 6 speakers work but it sounds like the rear spear on the right side is the one crackling and popping.

Speakers are shot, this thread is from 2004.
Your car is old.
Gut and wire the whole thing buy some new speakers.

People posting in this thread will never respond, there not with us anymore.:eyeroll:

Members online

No members online now.
Back